Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Cymbeline
I would be embarrassed to be at a table with a poor tipper
January 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I cannot imagine tipping poorly while eating at a restaurant. If I were in a circumstance in which I could not provide a proper tip, I would be eating somewhere without a waitstaff. If I'm with someone who tips poorly, I will add to the tip myself.

Not only is the hourly wage for a waiter or waitress well below minimum wage, they have to pay taxes on what they should earn in tips.

Some people do not know this, and, for that, I may judge them less harshly. Those who are aware, and say ridiculous things like, "It's not my fault the system works that way!", and then refuse to tip, are incredibly selfish and rude individuals.

I am not normally a judgmental person, but I strongly believe in fully paying for a service. If one doesn't want to pay for a service, do not go to a place where it is part of the experience.

I always tip, and it's rarely the minimum amount. I tip above the minimum for satisfactory to excellent service. I only tip the minimum if the waitress/waiter does a poor job. I also do not blame kitchen issues on my waiter.

How do you feel about tipping?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 63% - I feel the same way as you. It is important
  2. 11% - I always tip, but I don't think it's a big deal either way
  3. 10% - I tip sometimes, but only when they do a great job
  4. 2% - Tipping? I paid for my food; that's enough
  5. 2% - Waiter, there is a penguin in my soup again.
  6. 3% - Otter... not to be confused with other
  7. 5% - Other

Replies

• Anonymous 7
    by Anonymous 7
    January 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Oh I get it but I'm not paying 20% more for a meal just to have my cup filled and my plate set in front of me. I tip but I'm not going to go broke doing it. I will leave it to those of you who feel the need to pay double for your already overpriced meal to do it.

Quoting Whisperywind:

Geez you 2 just don't get it do you.

Quoting Anonymous:

That may be true but they often take care of several tables in that hour. If they are taking care of say five tables and they all tip at least $3 that is an extra $15 an hour on top of the $3.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

lol, you realize that most waiters make less than $3 an hour, right? that's only $24 for an 8hr shift. You miss, are the table that gets spit in your food.

Quoting Anonymous:

we give 2-3 bucks no matter what the bill is.

Honestly, they're already getting paid to wait on people...so, I don't think its really all that necessary to tip. If they're an exceptionally good waiter/waitress, and I've only come across a handful, then I'll tip them, but if they're just doing their job, then I feel no need to tip.

• Anonymous 13
    by Anonymous 13
    January 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I tip, if the service is good. I usually only tip 3-5 dollars though. Unless its not just me there... then obviously the waiter had to do more so i tip 10 dollars at the most .

• caito
    by caito
    January 30, 2013 at 4:48 PM

It depends on where you live. I live in an expensive part of North Carolina. Fast food is about 20-25 for my husband, daughter, and me. A sit down restaurant can be between 25-70 depending on where we go. We also like to order appetizers and rarely dessert at sit down places, so that jacks up the price. If we only ordered entrees and that's it, it would probably be between 25-40.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

How much does a meal cost at a restaurant in America anyway? 

Here, at Moxie's it's about $30 for me and my son, and we usually tip if the food arrives less than 15 minutes. At Montana's and Kelsey's, it's about $35-$40. And at Boston Pizza, it's about $50 for two people. I usually don't tip.

• Anonymous 14
    by Anonymous 14
    January 30, 2013 at 4:49 PM
    I worked at cracker barrel, I understand its not a bug expensive restaurant. You comment of they are getting paid to wait on tables is true, but do you know how much it is? I was paid $2.15 an hour. Yeah that's a whole lot of money.

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly, they're already getting paid to wait on people...so, I don't think its really all that necessary to tip. If they're an exceptionally good waiter/waitress, and I've only come across a handful, then I'll tip them, but if they're just doing their job, then I feel no need to tip.

• Anonymous 14
    by Anonymous 14
    I worked at cracker barrel, I understand its not a bug expensive restaurant. You comment of they are getting paid to wait on tables is true, but do you know how much it is? I was paid $2.15 an hour. Yeah that's a whole lot of money.

Quoting Anonymous:

• Anonymous 15
    by Anonymous 15

Average service = average tip
    Above average service = above average tip
    Shitty service = little or no tip (VERY rarely does this happen, but it has)

I definitely don't blame the wait staff for the kitchen's problems. My mom was a waitress for many years so I know how it goes. But if you don't want to work for your job, then you're not getting an above-and-beyond the minimum tip.

I went out with a girl from work for lunch and saw on her receipt -0- where the tip line was. I was SHOCKED. The waitress did a wonderful job. I don't know if she just doesn't ever tip, or figured maybe because it was lunchtime??? Idk but it bothered me.

• lwalker270

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

How much does a meal cost at a restaurant in America anyway? 

Here, at Moxie's it's about $30 for me and my son, and we usually tip if the food arrives less than 15 minutes. At Montana's and Kelsey's, it's about $35-$40. And at Boston Pizza, it's about $50 for two people. I usually don't tip.

It really varies...usually for DH and It'll range anywhere from $25 - $50, depending on the restaurant.

I wish they would pay servers a living wage and truly make tipping optional.  I would still tip for good service.

• Anonymous 16
    by Anonymous 16
    My DH and I only tip $5-6 no matter the price. but usually thats reasonable because we never go anywhere expensive and dont usually get pricey meals. We also dont go out often to eat.

Ive only ever not tipped once. I forget why she was so horrible but I remember being extremely irritated and told DH if she didnt do better she wasnt getting a tip. He said we had to leave something and I argued I did not. If she wasnt going to do her job, why get paid for it?
  • Kerannmer

Same here.

My husband is a TERRIBLE tipper, but at least when I'm with him he lets me decide on how much to leave. And he's promised me that, when he's without me, he's getting much better, lol. Thankfully we only eat a select few establishments around here, and I'll hear about it if he does the waitstaff wrong! ;)

• Mrs.Winchester
    January 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM

In my state wait staff are making over minimum wage, along with tips.  So no it's not necessary to tip.  You sound like someone that hasn't done a lot of traveling.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN