Mom Confessions

Cymbeline
I would be embarrassed to be at a table with a poor tipper
January 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I cannot imagine tipping poorly while eating at a restaurant. If I were in a circumstance in which I could not provide a proper tip, I would be eating somewhere without a waitstaff. If I'm with someone who tips poorly, I will add to the tip myself.

Not only is the hourly wage for a waiter or waitress well below minimum wage, they have to pay taxes on what they should earn in tips.

Some people do not know this, and, for that, I may judge them less harshly. Those who are aware, and say ridiculous things like, "It's not my fault the system works that way!", and then refuse to tip, are incredibly selfish and rude individuals.

I am not normally a judgmental person, but I strongly believe in fully paying for a service. If one doesn't want to pay for a service, do not go to a place where it is part of the experience.

I always tip, and it's rarely the minimum amount. I tip above the minimum for satisfactory to excellent service. I only tip the minimum if the waitress/waiter does a poor job. I also do not blame kitchen issues on my waiter.

How do you feel about tipping?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 63% - I feel the same way as you. It is important
  2. 11% - I always tip, but I don't think it's a big deal either way
  3. 10% - I tip sometimes, but only when they do a great job
  4. 2% - Tipping? I paid for my food; that's enough
  5. 2% - Waiter, there is a penguin in my soup again.
  6. 3% - Otter... not to be confused with other
  7. 5% - Other

Replies

• Mocking.Jay
    January 30, 2013 at 4:41 PM

How much does a meal cost at a restaurant in America anyway? 

Here, at Moxie's it's about $30 for me and my son, and we usually tip if the food arrives less than 15 minutes. At Montana's and Kelsey's, it's about $35-$40. And at Boston Pizza, it's about $50 for two people. I usually don't tip.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    Actually at most sit down restaurants the server only get 3 tables and at nicer restaurants most tables are there for 1.5 to 2 hours so if the server has 3 tables that tip 3 dollars in two hours that is only 9 dollars plus the measly 2 dollars an hour so they made 6.50 an hour total. Now they have to pay tip share and taxes.

Quoting Anonymous:

That may be true but they often take care of several tables in that hour. If they are taking care of say five tables and they all tip at least $3 that is an extra $15 an hour on top of the $3.

Quoting alexsmomma06:

lol, you realize that most waiters make less than $3 an hour, right? that's only $24 for an 8hr shift. You miss, are the table that gets spit in your food.

Quoting Anonymous:

we give 2-3 bucks no matter what the bill is.

Honestly, they're already getting paid to wait on people...so, I don't think its really all that necessary to tip. If they're an exceptionally good waiter/waitress, and I've only come across a handful, then I'll tip them, but if they're just doing their job, then I feel no need to tip.

• SusieQue717

I tip completely based on service. And I have pretty regular places I visit. I usually get the same waiters/waitresses, usually because I'll change sections the next time I come if I know they suck. I have never not left a tip, even if it was just a paper that said, "Tip: Find a new profession, you really suck!" I work in Customer Service, I have shitty days too, but my work will not be affected by it, I hold everyone to the same standards! 

• happinessforyou
    January 30, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I never tip for counter or drive through service. Seeing the "tip jar" on the counter irritates me. But I do tip very well to good waitstaff.

And I was a waitress about 100 years ago, and it is the waitstaff's job to double check that they are delivering the right food to the right people. If it's supposed to be hot-it better be steaming when they bring it. If it's supposed to be cold-should be ice cold. If I say dressing on the side-they better not bring me dressing all over. KWIM???

They work hard for us and make my life a little easier so of course I tip! :)

• TexanMomOf6
    January 30, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

we give 2-3 bucks no matter what the bill is.

Honestly, they're already getting paid to wait on people...so, I don't think its really all that necessary to tip. If they're an exceptionally good waiter/waitress, and I've only come across a handful, then I'll tip them, but if they're just doing their job, then I feel no need to tip.

Wait staff makes $2.15 per hour in most places. If they do a good job, please tip them.

• caito
    by caito
    January 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Yep. I never realized how stingy my family is until I was an adult.

My grandparents (both sets) tip $2. Doesn't matter where we ate or how expensive the meal was, it was always $2. My dad only tips about $5 no matter how expensive it is.

My husband always tips crazy well. One time a server chased us out and asked if he really meant to tip that much.

• Jennyanne322
    January 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM
    For bad service I will double the tax, for good service I always give more. The only time I don't tip like that if if its a buffet and they are only doing my drink. Then I tip $1 or $2 for each person at the table.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 30, 2013 at 4:45 PM
    Nope I dont tip if the waitress is bad I will tip all the time but the few times they have been horrible I refuse to tip people like that.i usually tip atleast5 bucks even if my bill is 21 bucks.but I am not going to reward someone who gave me the wrong order took.30+ min to serve me cold food and never refilled my drinks..sorry
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 30, 2013 at 4:46 PM
    I have had that happen and it was so embarrassing, everyone waiting for their table looked at us. The waitress was amazing and so nice to my DS.

Quoting caito:

Yep. I never realized how stingy my family is until I was an adult.

My grandparents (both sets) tip $2. Doesn't matter where we ate or how expensive the meal was, it was always $2. My dad only tips about $5 no matter how expensive it is.

My husband always tips crazy well. One time a server chased us out and asked if he really meant to tip that much.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 30, 2013 at 4:47 PM
    We don't tip if the service sucks. We do tip really well for great service.

Mom Confessions