Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Cymbeline
I would be embarrassed to be at a table with a poor tipper
January 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I cannot imagine tipping poorly while eating at a restaurant. If I were in a circumstance in which I could not provide a proper tip, I would be eating somewhere without a waitstaff. If I'm with someone who tips poorly, I will add to the tip myself.

Not only is the hourly wage for a waiter or waitress well below minimum wage, they have to pay taxes on what they should earn in tips.

Some people do not know this, and, for that, I may judge them less harshly. Those who are aware, and say ridiculous things like, "It's not my fault the system works that way!", and then refuse to tip, are incredibly selfish and rude individuals.

I am not normally a judgmental person, but I strongly believe in fully paying for a service. If one doesn't want to pay for a service, do not go to a place where it is part of the experience.

I always tip, and it's rarely the minimum amount. I tip above the minimum for satisfactory to excellent service. I only tip the minimum if the waitress/waiter does a poor job. I also do not blame kitchen issues on my waiter.

How do you feel about tipping?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 63% - I feel the same way as you. It is important
  2. 11% - I always tip, but I don't think it's a big deal either way
  3. 10% - I tip sometimes, but only when they do a great job
  4. 2% - Tipping? I paid for my food; that's enough
  5. 2% - Waiter, there is a penguin in my soup again.
  6. 3% - Otter... not to be confused with other
  7. 5% - Other

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 31, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Our tip reflects the total restaurant experience, not just the service. If I were a waitress, I wouldn't want to work for a place with bad food. With one particularly bad experience, the waitress noticed there was a problem with our food, and without our asking, told the manager. She got a great tip.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

We tip, but you better believe the tip reflects the quality of the meal itself and the service. I usually tip based upon how full my iced tea glass stays. If I can't keep up with her, she gets 20%. Otherwise, she gets 15%. At times, we've left 10% for bad service or bad food.

Why are you taking bad food out on your waiter?

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 31, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Our tip reflects the total restaurant experience, not just the service. If I were a waitress, I wouldn't want to work for a place with bad food. With one particularly bad experience, the waitress noticed there was a problem with our food, and without our asking, told the manager. She got a great tip.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

We tip, but you better believe the tip reflects the quality of the meal itself and the service. I usually tip based upon how full my iced tea glass stays. If I can't keep up with her, she gets 20%. Otherwise, she gets 15%. At times, we've left 10% for bad service or bad food.

The tip is for service.  You're trying to justify being cheap.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 31, 2013 at 8:37 AM

Not at all. Your comment doesn't even make sense. I said we tip more if we like it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

• CoolRelax
    January 31, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I agree.  There is a couple we are friends with, that we basically decided never to eat out with them again.  They took forever to order, they had a million extra requests for their food, they complained about the food the whole time, they tried to get several items taken off and they didn't tip well.

Strangely, our food was just fine.  But dh put extra in our tip. 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 31, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Not at all. Your comment doesn't even make sense. I said we tip more if we like it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Of course it makes sense.  The tip is for the service staff.  

• stormystar15
    January 31, 2013 at 8:50 AM
    Since I was a waitress I always leave a tip how much depends on how well the service is but it's never under 5%
  • JenieceMojica
    January 31, 2013 at 8:56 AM
    I try to always tip well. I will also go out of my way to speak to managment about wonderful service as well. Now with that being said i was out with friends one night and i was late for a movie. I left a very good tip on the table and paid in the front. Our server followed me outside and cursed me out because he thought i left him nothing. He never bothered to look at the table. Needless to say i walked in and showed him the tip and took it back and filed a complaint with corp.
  • itsm3
    by itsm3
    January 31, 2013 at 9:03 AM

my min tip % is 15.  for excellent service, i tip around 25%.

none of my friends are poor tippers. i would totally call them out on it if they were!

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts