Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
mamabear55
I was surprised at my son's first report card
January 30, 2013 at 2:06 PM

My son is only 3 and just got his first report card from his special Ed class. He is so advanced at home. He can count to 30, knows all his letters, can spell simple words and other things.  However, on his report card, he hasn't mastered any of the skills they have been working on. SIMPLE things. Like identifying himself as a boy. I'm just surprised and want his teachers to know how bright he is too.

what is wrong with me?

Replies

• Dzyre1115
    January 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM

The way a child performs at home is not as important as the way they perform in the world. 

• mamabear55
    January 30, 2013 at 2:12 PM

What do you mean?

Quoting Dzyre1115:

The way a child performs at home is not as important as the way they perform in the world. 

• Dzyre1115
    January 30, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Children are often more comfortable with their families than with a teacher, so they will not do as well in the school setting, but that is where it counts.

Quoting mamabear55:

What do you mean?

Quoting Dzyre1115:

• mamabear55
    January 30, 2013 at 2:23 PM

O, I understand. Hopefully, he will grow out of his isolated personality more as he gets older. His autism causes him to be very uncomfortable and often scared of people other than me and his dad

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Children are often more comfortable with their families than with a teacher, so they will not do as well in the school setting, but that is where it counts.

Quoting mamabear55:

What do you mean?

Quoting Dzyre1115:

• Dzyre1115
    January 30, 2013 at 2:24 PM

He'll get better in time....

Quoting mamabear55:

O, I understand. Hopefully, he will grow out of his isolated personality more as he gets older. His autism causes him to be very uncomfortable and often scared of people other than me and his dad

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Quoting mamabear55:

What do you mean?

Quoting Dzyre1115:

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    January 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM

lol, I was about to call out autism.

For them, some things are easy to learn. To the point of being genius. Where as more basic ideas and behaviors take much more time.

• mamabear55
    January 30, 2013 at 2:31 PM

He is smart and that is why his report card absolutely shocked me. I just don't want him to be thought of as less intelligent than he is

Quoting Anonymous:

For them, some things are easy to learn. To the point of being genius. Where as more basic ideas and behaviors take much more time.

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    January 30, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    Just curious - why is your smart 3 yo in a special Ed class?
  • LaughingTattoo
    January 30, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Autistic children are often incredibly smart but struggle with everyday concepts....Im sure he will be just fine. Dont worry too much :)

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    January 30, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I'm sure, but at 3 they are looking less at learning facts, and more at how they interact with others and understand concepts. Could he identify himself as a boy at home?

Quoting mamabear55:

He is smart and that is why his report card absolutely shocked me. I just don't want him to be thought of as less intelligent than he is

Quoting Anonymous:

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN