Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Cafe Steph
What do you think about the Second Amendment? Do you think the Sandy Hook crowd should have heckled?
January 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Sandy Hook Dad Heckled By Gun Lovers & They Should Be Ashamed

Posted by Kiri Blakeley on January 29, 2013 

A father who lost his 6-year-old son in the horrific Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was actually heckled by gun advocates. Heckled! How on earth do you dredge up enough yuck from your soul to be able to heckle a guy who lost his child in the most horrific manner possible? Well, some gun lovers managed. Because they love their guns more than their humanity. When Neil Heslin, who lost his son Jesse in the Newtown killings, testified before a local hearing on gun control, he asked a simple, reasonable question: WHY does anyone need an assault rifle? You'd think gun lovers would have a good answer for this. You'd think they would have researched, prepared, passionately and intelligently reasoned for why assault weapons are a necessary thing for your average person. But instead they heckled.

So what did they heckle? When Neil asked why people need assault weapons, the brilliant (sarcasm) gun enthusiasts yelled, "Second Amendment! Second Amendment!" drowning out the devastated dad.

Neil stayed classy and replied: "We're all entitled to our own opinions and I respect their opinions and their thoughts. But I wish they'd respect mine and give it a little bit of thought."

I don't expect Second Amendment buffs to be able to think rationally or critically about this matter, but here's the truth. Amendments get altered, changed, even repealed. Just because it's an amendment doesn't make it sacred. Let's see ... ever hear of the 16th Amendment? That allows the government to collect income tax. But guess what? There are seven states that don't collect income tax! Shocker.

Ever hear of the 18th Amendment? That abolishes the sale of alcohol. But lo! That unpopular Amendment was repealed entirely by something called the 21st Amendment.

There's the Eighth Amendment, which prohibits "cruel and unusual punishment." Yet I'm willing to bet a lot of these Second Amendment lovers are just fine with strapping someone down and administering a lethal injection into their veins. The 15th Amendment established suffrage for men of different races. But conveniently left out women. That didn't happen for another 50 years.

Additionally, other Amendments, such as the First Amendment, which protects freedom of speech, isn't a sweeping, anything-goes, black-and-white rule. You can't yell "Fire!" in a crowded place when there's no fire just because you have freedom of speech. Try yelling "Bomb!" on a plane and then standing behind the First Amendment. It won't get you very far.

So an Amendment is not sacred, my friends. The right to bear arms doesn't necessarily mean the right to bear an AK-47 any more than it means you can stock a nuclear weapon or a cannon. Deal with it.

What do you think about the Second Amendment? Do you think the crowd should have heckled?

Replies

• Cutenessmom
    January 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM

What us wroung with people now a days :(

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    January 29, 2013 at 1:57 PM

They shouldn't have heckled as that is no way to prove a point. 

However, I have a legal right to protect myself. If the people that may be attacking my have ARs, then it is my constitutionally protected right to own an AR.

• lnrmom
    by lnrmom
    January 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM

No they should not have heckled and any time gun advocates start hollering "because it's fun" or "2nd Ammendment" I shut down completely. Give me a solid reason why someone would need a magazine of 100? I mean seriously?

• MomofHDFandNWF
    January 29, 2013 at 2:14 PM

No, the grieving father should not have been heckled at.... that should go with out saying!

After all of this happened, I asked my DH (because - I will admit - I know NOTHING about guns) "Hun, what can you tell me about an AR-15?"  He said "Well, what do you wan to know?"  I understand the 2nd amendment and I understand the right to own guns, and I am not trying to take away the 2nd amendment rights of anyone, really I am not. 

But, can anyone without going "anon" and without hollering about "it's my right" explain to me why the heck you need an assault rifle in your possession?  I am having a hard time "listening " to the rantings of gun enthusiasts who are insistent on keeping their assault rifles, when there are plenty of other guns out there.

I also agree that there needs to be better background checks done on people buying guns.  Do you realize out of the 61 mass murders that were carried out with fire arms most of the killers obtained the weapon legally?  We, as a noation, need to come up with a better way to screen those that are buying this weapons and then maybe killing like this will start to slow down.  But, where there is a will, there is a way; and as sure as I am sitting here, people will continue to find ways to kill if they really feel "justified" or feel "the need" to do so.

• Mrs.H15
    by Mrs.H15
    January 29, 2013 at 2:15 PM
    Quoting Anonymous:

They shouldn't have heckled as that is no way to prove a point. 

However, I have a legal right to protect myself. If the people that may be attacking my have ARs, then it is my constitutionally protected right to own an AR.

This. If everyone was a law abiding citizen we wouldn't need ARs at all, but it doesn't work that way. You never know who or what might come through your door.
  • mom_dl6
    by mom_dl6
    January 29, 2013 at 2:19 PM

People are really just plain assholes anymore !

• Mocking.Jay
    January 29, 2013 at 2:27 PM
    What is heckled?
  • babygirl_1012
    January 29, 2013 at 2:32 PM

They are a bunched of crazed gun lovers who need to get their asses out of their heads. How dare they heckle a man who lost his child? What made them think that was appropriate. I am glad he had some restraint because i would have punched one of them in the face. He is stating his opinion, there was no need to that. Let one of those people have thier child shot and see what they say or feel after that.

• Hayleysmom88
    January 29, 2013 at 2:33 PM
    I think the gun laws should be modified, and consistent in every state.

I'll admit I am not sure what the laws are in every state, but I think all semi automatic weapons should be banned. Extensive background checks should be done on the individual buying the gun and everyone living in the home where the gun will be kept. The amount of ammunition a person can posses should be regulated.

In addition laws should be harsh and strictly enforced on selling and obtaining guns illegally. Unfortunately our jails are always full to capacity so these people get off with a little more than a slap on the wrist. If we can't keep offenders jailed then keep them on house arrest, increase the fines, require community service until there sentence is.complete.

I understand that majority of people who have a license to carry are not homicidal maniacs, so I understand that enforcing more strict gun laws may inconvenience them, it may even restrict them from owning a gun, but its a small price to pay if we could stop these mass shootings from happening so often.

I am not a hunter but maybe there could be a rental service in designated hunting areas that will rent out a gun and ammo for a few hours. They could track where the gun is at all times and return them to a lock box at the end of the day.

As for owning a gun for protection like I said if you can pass everything on a very extensive backround and household evaluation then it should be your choice to own one. I personally do not like guns in a home where there is any children/young adults but I know many people feel differently.

Shady Brook was a devastating, tragic event. I feel the country must do something now more than ever about the gun laws in our country.
  • Mocking.Jay
    January 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM
    The gun laws should definitely be reinstated in Connecticut. Those poor families. Those inconsiderate prick gun loving citizens.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN