Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Aslen
The word "colored"
by Aslen
January 29, 2013 at 9:59 AM

when used to describe people of color..... offensive or no? I have a friend of mine who says it's not, and that it's a regional thing, and I think she's ignorant.  Like seriously, I live in GA, and the ONLY people that could get away with saying are 90 year old white people, and they're excused because they're old. (growing up when they did "colored" and "negro" were the nice terms)

I'm from NY and never heard anyone describe someone as colored. 

She's from IN and says "everyone" says it there, and that it's OK because she's never been corrected by anyone of color.

I'm surprised she hasn't had her ass kicked by now.

So, CM gods, what do YOU deem the word "colored"? Offensive or not?

Is the word "colored" offensive when talking about people of color?
  • Only group members can vote in this poll.
  1. 54% - YES
  2. 33% - NO
  3. 11% - OTHER (because there has to be)

Replies

• Aslen
    by Aslen
    January 29, 2013 at 10:00 AM

BUMP!

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    January 29, 2013 at 10:01 AM
    I say yes...sort of. It brings back the era when there were "colored" water fountains and buses and non whites were viewed as inferior. BUT when an elderly person refers to my kids as colored..which has happened in a rare occasion ..if they appear to be saying it without malice I let it go...it's what they are used to. I broke my grandparents of using it about 10 years ago :)
  • almondpigeon
    January 29, 2013 at 10:03 AM

i think it's outdated, but i don't know if it's offensive.  i've never really heard anyone use it, though. 

• ttriddick
    January 29, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    Yikes! That's a fighting word to me. I'm in NC and my son is biracial. If ANYONE called him colored, it would be on for sure. Ugh.
  • Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    January 29, 2013 at 10:05 AM

it's tainted by prejudice use in the past.

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    January 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM

I had a friend who was out with his elderly grandmother one day and she saw a black woman pushing a stroller.  She went up, looked inside, and said, "My my...that is the cutest little nigger baby I ever did see".  My friend said he wanted to fall through the floor.

Now his grandma wasn't racist at all, even though she used a term that would be considered offensive today.  She was born in 1890 and this incident happened in the 1980's.  When she was growing up it was OK to say that.

Times change and what people find offensive changes and you have to be willing to go with the flow.

• Babujai
    by Babujai
    January 29, 2013 at 10:06 AM

"People of color" is more appropriate.  "Colored" is not inherently offensive, but it is a psychologically loaded term that is reminiscent of the abuses and discrimination of slavery and jim crow.

• southernbelletx
    January 29, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    Yes it's offensive... And I agree with the old lady thing. My mimi says colored and my nieces are half black. Lol. Crazy old lady
  • banana-bear
    Who the fuck voted no? You fail at life.
  • Sandiekd21

To me 'colored' is what my kids did in t heir coloring books.
    People are people.
    We don't use adjectives when talking about someone.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts