Mom Confessions

rkkeller13
I've got a possible serious problem! ETA
January 29, 2013 at 3:30 AM
It's about my Granddaughter. She's mixed. Her mom (my step daughter) is white and her dad is black and I'm really interested in how her school is going to teach black history month. She is the only bi-racial child in her school (we live in a small town) and just last week she came home upset cause the teacher was talking about how white Americans had blacks for slaves. She's 4 almost 5! The teacher didn't explain it right or something cause she was afraid that she and her daddy would be slaves to my family cause we are white. I was soooo mad! How can I talk to her about this so she can understand.

ETA: to those who are calling troll. I am not. And I guess the teacher was telling a story about Harriet Tubman. You know the slave that's famous for the underground railroad. So that is where my granddaughter heard about slavery. I guess the teachers are going to start Black History Month by telling stories about history's legendary African Americans who made a difference. And Harriet was first. They are also going to talk about Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr, BB King, James Meredith, George Washington Carver, President Obama, and a few others. And you know kids with their million and one questions. The teacher must not have explained it well enough for her to understand. So now that I know what's going on I am going to be better equipped to answer any questions she has.

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 29, 2013 at 3:31 AM
    this is what you're worried about? ffs
  • BelleVernonGirl
    January 29, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Why would a 4 y/o be learning about slavery???  Doesn't even being to make sense...

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 29, 2013 at 3:33 AM
    O.o
  • Sassy762
    January 29, 2013 at 3:34 AM

Seriously????

You and the mom should go to the school and talk to the teacher and the principal...find out what was said in the classroom....before getting  upset. Hopefully  your granddaughter misunderstood the teacher.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 29, 2013 at 3:34 AM

What sort of pre-school, I am assuming it's pre-school as she is not 5 years old yet, teaches children about slavery?  Looks like some education is going to need to happen at home.  

• lexxie28
    January 29, 2013 at 3:35 AM

I would have a meeting with the teacher and then have the teacher explain in front of you what she "meant" to say. GOD DAMN 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 29, 2013 at 4:04 AM

Honestly I would tell her that it had happened way in the past and that it was a part of history. She is right in assuming that it is bad/wrong to judge people on their skin color. Today everyone is treated equal and slavery does not exist anymore. Your family is an example of that. Part of african american history month is to show that their are brave men and women of come in both african american and caucasian.  

• ColieO
    by ColieO
    January 29, 2013 at 4:05 AM
    I smell bullshit.
  • lucsch
    by lucsch
    January 29, 2013 at 4:12 AM

Another reason I homeschool!

Seriously, just correct it! Tell her that happened a long, long time ago and that everyone is friends now.

• ttriddick
    January 29, 2013 at 6:29 AM
    I would also tell her that once upon a time that did happen. But over the years people have learned from those terrible decisions and it is no longer like that. Thats probably about as in depth as I would get considering her age.

Mom Confessions