Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
shymomof4
Does Facebook owe you $10?
January 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM

A few days ago I saw someone say they got an email from facebook about a settlement.  They were asking if it was a scam.  I didn't get one of these emails but it may be legitimate.  

I saw this on the All You Website and thought I would share.  

Did you receive an email from “LegalNotice@Facebookmail.com” last week? If you did and thought it was spam, you’re not alone (if you didn’t and are on Facebook, check your junk mail folder to see if it was directed there). The email wasn’t spam at all, though, and Facebook might really have to pay you $10.

Related: Shoppers Outraged After Best Buy Coupon Mistake

According to Buzzfeed, Facebook recently settled a class action lawsuit for $20 million over the social media site using people’s likenesses for sponsored posts (a form of advertising) without their permission. If you were contacted, it means that you “may have been featured in a ‘Sponsored Story’ on Facebook prior to December 3, 2012,” and you could be eligible to receive a share of the settlement up to $10.

The bad news? There are over 150 million users on Facebook in the U.S., and if too many of them submit claims, no one will receive any money. According to the email, “If the number of claims made renders it economically infeasible to pay money to persons who make a timely and valid claim, payment will be made to the not-for-profit organizations on the Settlement website at www.fraleyfacebooksettlement.com.”

Related: The New Way to Haggle Online

In other words, if too many Facebook users fill out claim forms, the settlement money will be given to not-for-profit organizations instead. (The email says that these organizations teach adults and children how to use social media safely, so at least if that happens, the money will still benefit a good cause.)

If you’d like to submit a claim, you can do so on the Fraley vs. Facebook settlement site here. You will be given the option to either submit a claim form online or download one that can be mailed in.

Here’s the full text from the email:

Lawsuit

Replies

• mommyof11050307
    January 28, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    I got it and deleted it. I don't need the few bucks that bad.
  • shymomof4
    January 28, 2013 at 6:39 PM

Yeah I am sure I would have done the same thing.  I just wanted to share incase anyone was interested.  I doubt anyone would really get any money since they say if a lot of people respond they will donate the money instead. 

Quoting mommyof11050307:

• wkukid
    by wkukid
    January 28, 2013 at 6:40 PM

It's ten bucks, I don't care lol.

• 2metalbabies
    January 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM
    I got a couple of those emails.
  • mommyof11050307
    January 28, 2013 at 6:46 PM
    If they are gonna donate it if to many people reply what's the point in sueing them?????

Quoting shymomof4:

Yeah I am sure I would have done the same thing.  I just wanted to share incase anyone was interested.  I doubt anyone would really get any money since they say if a lot of people respond they will donate the money instead. 

Quoting mommyof11050307:

• shymomof4
    January 28, 2013 at 6:50 PM

I agree.  The article says

"In other words, if too many Facebook users fill out claim forms, the settlement money will be given to not-for-profit organizations instead. (The email says that these organizations teach adults and children how to use social media safely, so at least if that happens, the money will still benefit a good cause.)"

Quoting mommyof11050307:

If they are gonna donate it if to many people reply what's the point in sueing them?????

Quoting shymomof4:

Quoting mommyof11050307:

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts