Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
angelmj
No, I'm not embarrassed.
by angelmj
January 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM

http://www.cafemom.com/group/115189/forums/read/17961023/Pray_for_my_baby_final_update 

READ and re-read if you don't get it. The picture I posted in this link is not the same picture my DF posted on FB that upset me. He can post pictures of his son all he wants I just did not want the picture where he has blood and tubes all over him posted. 

Recently my LO had major surgery (refer to my link for more info on that) and we of course took a picture of him after just to have a picture of him with all his tubes and wires. My DF posted the picture on FB and I asked him to take it down. He later asked me if I was embarrassed of our child's current condition. I told him no I was not, I just felt it was not something to publicly display on FB. My dad ended up sharing it before my DF took it down. I explained to him there are about 400 or more people idk who are not close to us seeing that picture. It's a heart breaking picture of an infant in recovery. I told him I have no problem with showing the picture to select people but not the world. Do you agree with my decision to request they both remove the picture. Does it mean anything bad on my part to not want to display it like that?

Replies

• KTU
    by KTU
    Kim
    January 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM

While I agree that I would not want pictures like that shared, you may find comfort in knowing/thinking that those 400 people lifted your baby boy up in prayer. The more prayers, the better right now!

• Anonymous 22
    by Anonymous 22
    January 29, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I'm not even on fb that's how much I hate sharing pics lol. I use email if I need to share. It's very personal nd I think normal how u feel I think he just felt different ppl react in different ways maybe he needed to feel supported by lots of them? Either way I'm sorry you had o go through such a scary  surgery for your. Baby snd I pray he gets  stronger evrryday sorry for. Y autocorrects. :/

• ivy801
    by ivy801
    January 29, 2013 at 2:48 PM

the bad thing is what other people would do with a copy of that picture like make up a radiculous back story or something, I don't blame you for asking them to remove it.

• angelmj
    by angelmj
    January 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM
    I didn't post the picture I'm talking about on here, that is the difference. Idc if he post any other picture he wants. I would never post a picture of my baby all bloody with a giant tube sticking out his chest, shoulder ect.

Quoting imapepper:

What's the difference in posting it on facebook or posting it on here?  We are all complete strangers you are sharing it with.

• Anonymous 23
    by Anonymous 23
    January 29, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    I'm a firm believer that if you don't want people to see the pic don't take it. Problem solved. If you don't want your baby on social media then watch them and ensure no photos are taken without that clear understanding. Personally it does not bother me to have pics of ds on facebook and I never took bath pics where his bits were uncovered. I really wish people would think this stuff through prior to having kids because I am so sick of the omg I'm gonna whine cause my kids pic is on fb posts. Duh. What did you think would happen?
  • thanush
    by thanush
    January 29, 2013 at 3:08 PM

I agree with you. My heart just drops when I see those pics of suffering infants/ people, and FB pages just asking people to 'like' them saying stupid things like 1 like = 1 prayer etc. most of those pictures are 'stolen' and created by people that has no relation to the person in the picture.. I would never want my pictures ending up like that.

• thanush
    by thanush
    January 29, 2013 at 3:15 PM

That's silly. Taking a picture doesn't mean you also want to share it with 300,000 or so people. Not even pictures taken for commercial use let you do that. Even they have rules on how they can be used. Like everything else there are boundaries that we only let people we want, enter. 

Whats wrong with you anyway... Have some compassion. A picture of one's baby covered in blood and tubes is not same as your bath picture. A parent may take any pic they want so they can show it / or not, when the kids grow up. But every picture certainly do not have to be shared.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm a firm believer that if you don't want people to see the pic don't take it. Problem solved. If you don't want your baby on social media then watch them and ensure no photos are taken without that clear understanding. Personally it does not bother me to have pics of ds on facebook and I never took bath pics where his bits were uncovered. I really wish people would think this stuff through prior to having kids because I am so sick of the omg I'm gonna whine cause my kids pic is on fb posts. Duh. What did you think would happen?

• Schleetle
    January 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM
    I think some things are meant to be private. People share too much on FB so I agree with you.
  • Anonymous 24
    by Anonymous 24
    January 29, 2013 at 3:32 PM

my SO grandson had the same surgery.  We, his family, wanted to know how everything was progressing.  The mom posted pictures and updates for all of us.  It was a great way to know how everything was going with the surgery and the recovery.  I also feel the same way you do and pictures should not be shared.  Friends and family should have kept that all private, but most of the time, it is unavoidable.

• mrs.kimmons0320
    January 29, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I have been in your situation. My son had surgery at 3 weeks old. his dad and i were the only two to see him after his surgery, he was on a ventalator and he looked awful :( we took pics that were for us and for him when he got old enough to understand, we shared pics of his journey on facebook, but no one has seen the ones after his surgery except his dad and i. i would be LIVID!!!! 

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN