Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
D.O.E.
moms who ride and have horses ~ Question!!!
by D.O.E.
January 28, 2013 at 11:00 AM

i got a text last night that a neighbors DD had bought herself a horse and was looking for a saddle.

i just so happen to have a saddle, and no horse. i doubt i will have a horse again anytime soon.

but......her dad hurt his back and since he was self employed and did not pay into the EI fund.....no EI. her mom works though, but they are probably a bit tight right now......this saddle is all leather, very very comfortable, and from the 70's.  it is in wonderful condition, i kinda of really love this saddle.

but it just collecting dust. and it should be used. 

too determine its worth i went on kijijisaskatchewan, clicked on the pets section, and typed in saddle in the search box. 

saddles like this one are going from about $400 - $2,000

i wouldnt want to sell it to her for that much. shes just a kid, first horse......so.......help me figure out a price ladies.

as i said, made in the 70's. so a bit worn. 

i dont know. what do ya say girls?

Replies

• D.O.E.
    by D.O.E.
    January 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM

this sadlle is so super duper comfy. i used it until i was 6 mo pregnant with ds2

• D.O.E.
    by D.O.E.
    January 28, 2013 at 11:05 AM

BUMP!

• MamaRae85
    January 28, 2013 at 11:09 AM

How about 250? That way, you get a couple hundred out of it, and she gets a saddle that she can afford and has been broken in. Or maybe 300?

• D.O.E.
    by D.O.E.
    January 28, 2013 at 11:15 AM

well i will talk to her and see what she can afford. horse riding is an EXPENSIVE hobby. i remember walking into cow town and dropping well over a hundred just for bug sprays, shampoos, brushes. like just little things. never mind the actual tack.

a part of me is saying "dont go too easy on her, she needs to be aware of the expense and responsability of owning a horse" and then the other side of me is like ....."she has a horse yay for her now the kid needs a saddle" lol 

if i ask $300 then she can barter me down to $250 (if shes smart ;-) ) sounds about right.

Quoting MamaRae85:

How about 250? That way, you get a couple hundred out of it, and she gets a saddle that she can afford and has been broken in. Or maybe 300?

• LucyHarper
    January 28, 2013 at 11:19 AM

You can get a saddle of that style brand new for under $300. Considering it is so worn and old, I wouldn't charge over $100.

• D.O.E.
    by D.O.E.
    January 28, 2013 at 11:26 AM

no. just no. there are saddles, and then there are Quality Saddles. 

you get what you pay for.  worn and old have nothing to do with usability and comfort for both animal and person, unless of course you buy a saddle for $300 brand new. 

Quoting LucyHarper:

You can get a saddle of that style brand new for under $300. Considering it is so worn and old, I wouldn't charge over $100.

15" 15.5" 16" 17" Arbuckle Wade Ranch Saddle by Billy Cook FQHB 2182
    Mouse Over Main Image to Zoom
    15" 15.5" 16" 17" Arbuckle Wade Ranch Saddle by Billy Cook FQHB 2182Send to a Friend    
    In Stock
    Item Number: bi2182
    Reg Price:$1,837.80
    Sale Price:$1,531.50

now THAT is a comparable saddle. 
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 28, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    Honestly if you love it then why get rid of it? If they have money for a horse they should have money for a saddle.
  • lovexroads88
    January 28, 2013 at 11:29 AM
    I would go 300. An abeta saddle ( not leather, but brand new) goes for 500.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM

What about a "rent-to-own" type of option?  Keep the saddle at your house but have her pay a reasonable amount to use it - whether in money or help around the house.  When she has worked hard at some point give it to her.  It is teaching her the responsibility and cost of ownership of a horse while still keeping it within her grasp.

• happymama2D
    January 28, 2013 at 11:32 AM
    I would gladly pay 250-300 for a good quality, worn in saddle as long as it properly fit my horse. My friend (who I bought my horse from and owns the barn I kept her at) had the very best, old Western Saddle .... I always borrowed it when she wasn't riding ... I wanted it so badly .. lol! You get what you pay for with tack, and horses ARE expensive. Fact.

Quoting D.O.E.:

well i will talk to her and see what she can afford. horse riding is an EXPENSIVE hobby. i remember walking into cow town and dropping well over a hundred just for bug sprays, shampoos, brushes. like just little things. never mind the actual tack.

a part of me is saying "dont go too easy on her, she needs to be aware of the expense and responsability of owning a horse" and then the other side of me is like ....."she has a horse yay for her now the kid needs a saddle" lol 

if i ask $300 then she can barter me down to $250 (if shes smart ;-) ) sounds about right.

Quoting MamaRae85:

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts