Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Calling any CM medical professionals!
by Anonymous
January 25, 2013 at 11:54 PM
I'm stuck wondering if I just watch too many "House" style shows or if I have a legitimate reason to be concerned.

DH's mom is fairly old and disabled. She also refuses to take care of herself. She's diabetic but won't measure/track her insulin, will eat like three fried potatoes drenched in salt for breakfast and nothing else, smokes a carton a week and is on oxygen, is in a hoveround, etc. My point is, the woman is unhealthy and literally does not care. Her reasoning is that taking better care of herself after all this time won't extend her life by much so "just fuck it."

A few days ago three toes on her foot started turning blue. She didn't tell us until a day later because she'd thought she'd broken it somehow and not noticed. We took her to the ER. After she was admitted they figured out it was a blood clot and removed it.

After more tests they discovered several more (supposedly tiny) clots in her other leg, a spot on her renal artery, and a tiny spot in her heart. Her doctor thinks she'd had a larger clot in her heart that broke up and traveled down.

Anywho, I made a comment that she was lucky the clots ended up in her leg and not traveling up instead, or into her lungs... Her doctor told me that wouldn't have happened and will not happen? I was under the impression ANY thrown clot could end up anywhere and could be dangerous.

So is the doctor wrong? Can someone explain why he's right, if he is (like does it have to do with how inactive she is, or...)? If he IS wrong, should we try to convince her to get a new doctor ASAP?

Replies

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    January 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Dunno. When my dad had open heart surgery and was in the icu from complications, thypey put in a greenfield filter or screen, or somethign "green" the name of it, anyhow, they put this device into his femoral artery to catch clots before they traveled to his lungs to prevent a pulminary embolism. I think the filter/screen thing was meant to catch and break up the clots

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    January 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM
    Im sorry, im going to diagnose that as AIDS.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    January 26, 2013 at 12:00 AM
    Quoting Anonymous:

Well hell, I haven't put a life insurance policy on her yet. How Long's she got, doc?
  • Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    January 26, 2013 at 12:04 AM

My husband is sleeping or I would ask him.  He's a pulmonologist.    He worked 15 hours today, just got home, and has to be back at 7:00am.  I'm sorry I can't be of more help.  However, quote me tomorrow if no one has answered this and when he is driving home tomorrow night, (he has a 1 hour commute) I will read your post to him and ask.  :)

• momof2891
    January 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM
    You can have a blood clot in the deep veins of your leg and a piece of it can break loose and travel through your heart to your lung and/or brain. My grandma had that happen and it went to her brain and caused a stroke. That doc sounds like an idiot. I personally would get a second opinion. DVTs (deep vein thrombosis) are not things to play around with. The fact that she has uncontrolled diabetes, smokes that much and doesn't walk as much as she should makes her an excellent candidate for DVTs. My grandma is on plavix for the rest of her life. Good luck and I hope y'all can figure it out.
  • Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    January 26, 2013 at 12:11 AM
    2 weeks

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Well hell, I haven't put a life insurance policy on her yet. How Long's she got, doc?

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN