Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
$130,000 a year and still can't get it together.
by Anonymous
January 25, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Two years ago we made about $50,000 a year. Fast forward to now, we make more than double and we still have issues.

Ugh. More money, more problems. Living in DC doesn't help either. We used to live in Colorado.

Replies

• auntietotty
    January 25, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Live like you did on 50,000. People think once they make more money, they need more things. If you were happy as a family when you lived in CO, go back to that way of life. I know you can't do anything about DC cost of living, but I bet you have at least a few things you didn't used to.

Btw- this is in no way meant to sound mean, just a suggestion.

This is good advice. That's pretty much how we do. Since we're middle aged and have pretty much all we want, my husband though makes more and more money each year. But we still live the same as we used to.

Added bonus...good savings accounts that allow us to do whatever on a whim if we want.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 25, 2013 at 11:24 PM

We live in between Richmond and DC. Small little area, but housing is decently priced in the county I'm in and the county directly south of me, especially now with housing the way it is. How long have you been there?

Quoting Anonymous:

Good advice and I'm already looking into it. We are renting in Riverdale. We would like to purchase at some point but there's no way I would want to buy a home in some of these parts. I mean my goodness, it's not Beverly Hills but some of the prices on these homes. OMG.

I would like to move up north near Ft. Meade.

Quoting Anonymous:

Move to a lower cost of living area and commute to DC. My husband works in DC and we live about an hour and a half away with no traffic. He carpools 80% of the time (drives 30 minutes north to meet up with his carpool), and on bad days can be in the car up to 6 hours, but it's worth it for us because it means we live under our means.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 25, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Did you grow up poor?

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 25, 2013 at 11:27 PM
    I hear MIL/FIL (who make considerably more than that, living in a modest suburb in the south), and SIL/BIL who make about that amount complain about money all the time. I think regardless of your income if your bills are too high, or you just aren't good at managing your finances you're gonna have problems. I hope you figure out something that works out better for you, gl.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster

Almost 2 years. Our lease is up this year so we want to relocate. We don't necessarily have to live in Maryland. I would be open to moving to Virginia as well. We have two kids so the area has to have good schools.

Quoting Anonymous:

We live in between Richmond and DC. Small little area, but housing is decently priced in the county I'm in and the county directly south of me, especially now with housing the way it is. How long have you been there?

Quoting Anonymous:

Good advice and I'm already looking into it. We are renting in Riverdale. We would like to purchase at some point but there's no way I would want to buy a home in some of these parts. I mean my goodness, it's not Beverly Hills but some of the prices on these homes. OMG.

I would like to move up north near Ft. Meade.

Quoting Anonymous:

Move to a lower cost of living area and commute to DC. My husband works in DC and we live about an hour and a half away with no traffic. He carpools 80% of the time (drives 30 minutes north to meet up with his carpool), and on bad days can be in the car up to 6 hours, but it's worth it for us because it means we live under our means.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    What part of Colorado? It's pretty expensive there too
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 25, 2013 at 11:28 PM

I wish we lived off of 50k...we live in CO and survive as a family of 4 (and paying child support) off of 27k.  

• LexsMami
    January 25, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Move to Maryland...it's way cheaper and just take the train into DC.

• Miranda1127
    January 25, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Is it possible to pay minimul payments to all debt except one (paying that one debt large sums until its payed off and moving to another loan)? This is how we got out of debt a few years back.

For example. Pay the $12k loan the minimal payment and pay your brother off this month (or the next few months if it takes that long), then move on to your parents. After family is payed off focusall expendable money on your loans. Focusing on one debt makes it all feel more manageable and it gives a  greater sense of accomplishment/gratification b/c you can see the debt owed go down quickly.

good luck.

Quoting Anonymous:

We don't use credit cards anymore. I love my debit card.

The problem is all the loans we had to take out to get to DC. The expense of moving. Borrowing from family to make ends meet before the pay kicked in.

I'm just stressed because I'm constantly thinking of what and who we owe. And having ot pay bills. We have three loans out right now totalling a little more than 12,000. Owe my folks about $2500 and my brother a $1000. Just paid off my truck which was a whopping $730! We will NEVER do that again but I'm so glad to have it paid off. We still have my Dh car to pay on.

We can pay these things but I'd like to have them paid off now. Once it's all done I can breathe. It's possible by the end of this year but boy this shit just doesn't make sense...

And I do wish we could get back to Colorado sometimes. But the job is here.

shrugging

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    January 25, 2013 at 11:29 PM

Colorado Springs

Quoting Anonymous:

What part of Colorado? It's pretty expensive there too

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts