Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Does anyone else have kids who have no common sense?
by Anonymous
January 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM
I have to do this anonymously because it hurts to say this but I need help!

My dd is 13 and has no common sense. She lacks logic. Sometimes it's funny because what she is saying sounds "airheaded". Sometimes, like lately, it's frustrating.

I don't know how to help her. My friend suggested buying books for her since she likes to read but browsing through books makes me feel like I'm just insulting my daughter.

Please tell me I'm not alone. Please telle there are ways to help her.

Replies

• PerfectVirgo
    January 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM
    She'll be alright. I lived in books when I was younger and was always saying boneheaded things. Just don't laugh at her. It makes it unbearable. :(
  • CuriousArentYa
    January 23, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Noo. What kills me is when I am telling the kids to pick up, lets say a sock right at their feet and they look around all over for the sock, they step on it, step over it, kick it but NEVER FLIPPING SEE it to pick it up. I always think, God please tell me we acted like that when we were kids. My mom will usually laugh when I tell her and tell me they will grow out of it. 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    Kids are kids. They're learning. They sometimes say silly things just to get attention. I wouldn't flip out. Take her to the book store with you and let her pick some books, or YOU YOURSELF take a stab at teaching her some useful common sense if you feel she is lacking.
  • starbuckmom03
    January 23, 2013 at 10:07 PM

Common sense doesn't come in fully till closer to early 20's.  Hate to break it to you.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    January 23, 2013 at 10:08 PM
    Thanks for the hope.

I try not to get frustrated more than anything but it doesn't always work. I wonder sometimes if she's too lazy to think. It's like I have to walk her through thought processing.

I'll try not to laugh - it probably does bother her. I laugh at EVERYTHING though :(

Quoting PerfectVirgo:

She'll be alright. I lived in books when I was younger and was always saying boneheaded things. Just don't laugh at her. It makes it unbearable. :(
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM
    She's young. She'll grow up and common sense will come.
  • Anonymous
    January 23, 2013 at 10:10 PM
    Is that the same as if I can tell her to wear jeans that day and she will come out wearing a skirt, then a dress, then sweats? Because it happened- just when she was younger though.

Quoting CuriousArentYa:

Noo. What kills me is when I am telling the kids to pick up, lets say a sock right at their feet and they look around all over for the sock, they step on it, step over it, kick it but NEVER FLIPPING SEE it to pick it up. I always think, God please tell me we acted like that when we were kids. My mom will usually laugh when I tell her and tell me they will grow out of it. 

• Anonymous
    January 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM
    That's my problem- I can't teach common sense. Or I should say I don't know how to.

Quoting Anonymous:

Kids are kids. They're learning. They sometimes say silly things just to get attention. I wouldn't flip out. Take her to the book store with you and let her pick some books, or YOU YOURSELF take a stab at teaching her some useful common sense if you feel she is lacking.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 23, 2013 at 10:11 PM
    My dd is the same way! No common sense. If I ask her to pick up her room she will walk back and forth with clothes to a hamper in the living room rather than bring the hamper to her room. She would rather struggle stuffing her feet in tied shoes than untying them from the get go. It irritates me so much! My ds age 3 has more common sense than she does.
  • Anonymous
    January 23, 2013 at 10:12 PM
    Ugh. Thanks. Lol!!

And my dd is a little bit of a late bloomer lol

Quoting starbuckmom03:

Common sense doesn't come in fully till closer to early 20's.  Hate to break it to you.

Mom Confessions