Mom Confessions

Anonymous
opinions on children dieting
by Anonymous
January 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Okay please no bashing - opinions only.

Both of my younger sisters are overweight. The youngest one is severely, weighing about 30 pounds more than me, a grown adult, and she's 9. The other is 10. My mom has pushed them quite a bit the last couple years by trying to make them eat heathly and quit snacking and keep the youngest in sports even though she doesn't really like them. Nothing has helped. My mom kind of overdoes things because she is always working out and doing crazy diets even though she is tiny. So this is a huge deal to her.

Now she has started doing weight watchers, for the whole family. So my younger sisters are coming home and counting there "points" and stressing about what they eat. I know that she is just trying to help them she doesn't want them to have health or self confidence issues. But do you think this is to extreme for two young girls? I just don't want this kind of stuff to hurt them or do the opposite of what she's trying to do, kill their confidence. I don't want to fight with my mom but I'm worried, they already get made fun of from kids at school because of their weight. Am I over reacting? Or do you think I should talk to her about it? I know eating healthy is great, I just don't know if this is the right way.

Replies

• ATALHEA
    by ATALHEA
    January 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM
    I don't think children should diet. If I were the mom I would just buy only healthy foods. I would make sure that they ate only at the table so they aren't mindlessly eating in front of the TV or something. I would also encourage fun activity.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM
    I think it would be best if she only kept healthy choices in the house, talked to the girls about portion size, find other physical things they like to do. Emphasis always on health, not weight.

If I notice my 10 year old is getting pudgy I simply reign back my own snacking, buy healthier foods and make sure she gets more activity. She never has to worry about it but she's had body issues since kindergarten so I have to be careful /:
  • 1CopaceticMama
    January 23, 2013 at 8:54 PM
    I do think this is hurtful. No child should be on a diet unless under a doctors care
  • brandydesiree
    January 23, 2013 at 8:56 PM

If they are obese, then something needs to be done. I don't like the term diet though. It should be an overall lifestyle change for the entire family.

• lilasmommy418
    January 23, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    She should probably keep count of their points for them. That's too much for them to worry about. Weight Watchers is a good program, though. It's not really a diet.
  • -_-
    by -_-
    January 23, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    No, they shouldn't diet. They should eat (mostly) right and stay active. That doesn't mean sports if they don't enjoy them.
  • BewitchedKisses
    January 23, 2013 at 9:11 PM

My son's friend is 10 and was diagnosed with Anorexia. Do not put kids like that on calorie counting diets. Do not. They count calories, and then reduce calories, then completely limit calories and move to no calories. The girls need to be taught healthy eating habits. Not fad dieting.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 23, 2013 at 9:18 PM

No child should ever be on a diet.  It's about getting them healthy.  Giving them the right choices and keeping them active.  All the research I've read about this kind of thing (I teach health to young kids), says that parents should be keeping track of what their kids eat and the options they have in the house, not making the kids worry about calories.  The kids should have 60 minutes of activity every day.  It doesn't have to be sports.  Dance would be great, non-team sports (like rock-climbing), non-traditional team sports (rowing, cheerleading), or team sports that haven't been tried (there are lots of choices out there).  

She is the parent and she has complete control of what the children eat (or have access to eat). She needs to be an adult and monitor what they are eating and make sure they have healthy choices.  There is a plan out there (what the kids on biggest loser are using) that I've seen where kids use a red, yellow, and green foods.  I haven't done a lot of research on it, but I think the concept is that kids can eat all the green foods they want (green foods low-calorie, high-nutrient foods); yellow foods are somewhat limited (yellow foods - higher in calories, but high in nutrients); red foods are a special treat (red foods - high calorie, high fat; little to no nutritional value).  The thinking is that kids cannot cut out any foods completely.  

• TaralynnStewart
    January 23, 2013 at 9:20 PM
    Your mom needs to teach good eating habits. Don't buy any more junk. Eat less move more!
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 23, 2013 at 9:34 PM

My son is also battling a weight issue. He is 14.  We just saw his pedi. on 12/28 His recommendations drink a big glass of water before every meal so he eats smaller portions and through out the day to keep his belly full so he will do less snacking. The nutritionist says not to cut the junk out completely as children will tend to hide food and closet eat.  So far he has lost 7lbs.  We went and bought a calendar and every morning he records his weight to see his progress. He is very proud of himself and I have noticed that now he knows it is possible to loose weight that he has taken the steps to do less junk food snacking..

Mom Confessions