Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Manda_starr4
my son thinks he is a puppy
January 23, 2013 at 8:19 PM
My two yo so with autism pretends he is a puppy the only way I get him to listen to me is to speak to him and treat him like a puppy. Saying things like good boy and sit or lay. He pants and barkes eats like a puppy and licks for kisses. Is this normal or should I be worried? ... is autism is not that bad its pretty mild but he is adhd also.

Replies

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    January 23, 2013 at 8:20 PM

My daughter does that, too and she does not have autism. Sounds normal. Sometimes, I am Pocahontas and she is John Smith.

• JNLmomme09
    January 23, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    IMO that has more to do with his age. Which IMO is to young to be diagnosed with autisim
  • beachbabies6

my 7 yr old is high functioning autistic , mine would just be doing this for fun , what does it hurt to indulge from time to time ?

• JNLmomme09
    Or ADHD a mild case especially
  • angevil53
    January 23, 2013 at 8:23 PM
    My son did that and cat for a bit. He doesn't have autism. I told him to stop when i wanted him to.
  • Ollie123
    January 23, 2013 at 8:25 PM

My oldest dd was puppy too around that age. I think it's just a phase.

• Shabbydoll78

My oldest child, around that same age, Declared herself " Tigerwolfdog". She played the part and I played along. Tigerwolfdog made her appearance off and on for a few years.

Shes 16 now, and perfectly fine. In fact, shes a bit of an overachiever. But very well adjusted. Shes still very imaginative. Only now she expresses it through writing.

I wouldn't worry one bit. A good imagination is a positive thing. Even when they take it pretty far .

• Mariah-1987
    My 5 yr old loves dogs. She has a whole family of stuffed animal puppys dogs lol And she plays "puppy". Her and her little 2 yr old sister. Neither of them have autism. They just love dogs :)
  • 1CopaceticMama
    It is typical but don't encourage it. My daughter thought she was a duck. She had an outright meltdown in the grocery store when I told her she was a little girl and she insisted she was a duck. Now she is 14 and knows she is not a duck lol.
  • louiegirl62
    January 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM

My neice was a horse for about a week during Summer, skipping around and winnying. When I saw her at Christmas she was a puppy eating "dog food" (cheerios) from a bowl on the floor. Last time I talked to my SIL school was more important, and my neice is wearing glasses with no glass in them because she is a teacher now. She is 6 and has no autism, but she was a preemie.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts