Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
CIO Method Question
by Anonymous
January 22, 2013 at 1:11 AM

When is a good age to use this method if you want to use it? Feedback from parents that do use it plz.

Replies

• parentalrights1
    January 22, 2013 at 1:14 AM
    Don't do it to newborns for sure. They have to at least be emotionally ready and able to understand you aren't just not giving a shit but honestly I don't feel that hapens in the first year. But you can do the whole "let them cry a few minutes, soothe, cry a few, soothe" on an older baby in sure, but still never a newboen
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 22, 2013 at 1:15 AM

I read babies should be older than 7 months....I've never tried it personally, but newborns for sure cant do it to them.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 22, 2013 at 1:19 AM

I was an advocate for this, then later learned my NB was screaming b/c he had severe acid refux.  I felt like total shit about it afterward. 

• Shermy
    by Shermy
    January 22, 2013 at 1:21 AM

We used it around a year, and followed the sleep easy book. I believed that the interval method would be best for our child. 

• aimeegreen4ever
    January 22, 2013 at 1:22 AM
    I did out with both my boys at 9m. With DS 1 I had to do it again at around 18m because he was re testing his boundaries. DS 2, it worked the first time. Both took about a week, week and a half and they had it down.
  • jshalas89
    January 22, 2013 at 1:23 AM
    Why would you let a NEWBORN CIO anyway?!!

After 6 months it's "okay". I never have done it and don't plan to. Just be a parent and do your job as one and there's no need to go there. I think it's fucking cruel and uncalled for no matter the age!

Quoting Anonymous:

I was an advocate for this, then later learned my NB was screaming b/c he had severe acid refux.  I felt like total shit about it afterward. 

• crazedmama06
    January 22, 2013 at 1:24 AM

We did it depending on the baby. But for 2 of them 9 months when they weren't wanting to eat but just play. and the 3rd was at 13 months. He nursed ever 1.5hrs and needed to because of high metabalism issues (he's 20 months now and still has to eat food 2-3 times a night).

• Irenesmommy
    January 22, 2013 at 1:25 AM

we started at 9 months, lots of waiting outside her room, going in every 15 minutes or so, she started self soothing, using her crib toys after day 3, pretty soon she started just babbling to herself until she fell asleep.

• littlemonaghan
    January 22, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I guess we somewhat use CIO...but my daughter is 19 months old. 

She gets her 10 minutes to cry if she is mad that shes in her crib for nap or bedtime. Doesn't happen often but occasionally she'll throw a fit and cry and I just leave her be. Unless she is realyl really screaming and upset, then I go get her.

But like I said...she is 19 months old. She used to nurse to sleep for naps and bedtime until she was around 15 months old, so we never had to deal with her crying in her crib. 

But shes older now and I don't think 10 minutes will hurt her, anything longer than 10 minutes we go in and get her, calm her down and try again. We never need more time though, she always just lays down and goes to sleep with her baby doll. 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 22, 2013 at 1:27 AM
    I'm heartless I guess.

My kids it's my way from the day they're born.

They have a schedule from birth, my schedule. And yes, I do CIO with infants.

It's exhausting at first, but in a few short weeks its so much better for the kids. They, even as babies, learn our expectations as parents pretty quickly.

So, I do CIO from day 1!

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts