Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
tnkrbell860
So this will probably blow up into a HUGE debate...BUT...Car Seats & Snowsuits/Winter Coats (edited with pix added)
January 21, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Winter Coats and Car seats...

I see A LOT of people saying 'don't put your child in a car seat in a winter coat or a snowsuit, it's dangerous.' I have asked my child's DR and even the Head of the NICU unit she was in when she was born. Both say it is assining and perfectly fine to place your child in their car seat with their snow suit or coat as long as when they aren't wearing it you readjust the straps. I have searched online and I only see parents opinions...no car seat crash test with a winter coat or snowsuit with a child being ejected from their seat...

SOOOO....Who puts their child in their car seat with a snow suit or Coat...and who doesn't?

***I need to add, my Daughter is normally in her fleece, she is a little furnace and our car gets heated fairly quickly, I do carry along her snowsuit if I know it will be REALLY cold though. But I am not against putting her in a coat or snowsuit if the weather is cold...

***Another edit...Our carseat was installed by the police dept AND a certified car seat tech who even told us (because she was only 4lbs 1oz the day we took her home) that we could take a washcloth and roll it up in the crotch area as well (we didn't) There are 6 Dr's in her Pedi office and they all say it is fine. Along with the head of NICU. I asked simply because a lot of people on my Facebook have been posting about it. I have googled and can not find anything but parents videos. Is there a video with the actual crash test dummies???

***Personally, my Daughter goes in the carseat depending on weather. Normally she is just in a fleece or a light snow suit. I have had her in a thick snowsuit on extremely cold days. When I brought her home the end of September we had her in her regular car seat just to carry her to the car. She was too small for her regular seat and a car seat tech that was working with a police station gave and installed a preemie car seat for us. The first picture is in what she sits in now (now she is a 10lb 8oz 4m old) The other pictures are her in our car in her preemie seat the day she came home and the day after to her Dr appt. Then one of her preemie car seat and one of her the day after we brought her home and now at 4 months on our small dog (oh no!! lol yes, I hear how it is so unsafe from my Mother in Law...) AND before anyone bashes me about her straps above her shoulders...This was a brand new Graco Preemie car seat we got from a certified car seat tech who installed it in our car at a car seat and inspection site. He put the pool noodles there. I never even knew they made Preemie car seats, this is a 2lb and up and on the smallest size it can go, the lowest strap slot as well. For about 2 months she traveled in her preemie seat then we would transfer her to her 'big girl seat' when we were going into the store or wherever...yes, take her out, put her in the other, put it in the cart the whole shabang...but she didn't travel in her infant seat until she was just over 5lbs. (Graco Snugride 35)

Here are a few more of her winter attires....

Replies

• tnkrbell860
    January 23, 2013 at 3:38 PM

That particular car seat is a preemie and comes as is...no head/neck support. I had one they said I couldn't use it. So I sat in back with her until she fit her regular car seat

Quoting Crashly:

I'm not going through all 55 pages so I just want to know where her head/neck support piece is?

• tnkrbell860
    January 23, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Because it isn't. These are ones available now to parents in stores. (I did a quick search to show there are more than 3) Which IF we decide to have another child I would look into one of these, most likely the Chicco KeyFit 30, now that I know they go lower than 5lbs. She was saying the 3 she listed were the only ones rated 4lbs and up, which is untrue. The seat she had (the Blue & Brown Graco) we got loaned to us from a certified car seat tech who works through the NICU our Daughter was in...

Quoting numonestunar:

Your seat doesnt look like any of those...

Quoting tnkrbell860:

And here we go again...really those are the ONLY seats rated 4lbs? Because, no...they aren't....2 of the 3 you stated aren't even listed here...but it's fine, you believe what you want...I will believe what I want

Updated List of Recommended Carseats for Preemies & Multiples

Chicco KeyFit 30 (4-30 lbs) and the original model Chicco KeyFit (rated from 4-22 lbs only; usually sold with stroller as part of a travel system). FULL REVIEW OF KEYFIT 30 HERE

Safety 1st onBoard 35onBoard 35 Air & onBoard 35 Air SE (“Air” models have premium base and Air-Protect Technology).   All onBoard models are rated from 4-35 lbs. FULL REVIEW OF ONBOARD 35 AIR HERE

Safety 1st Comfy Carry Elite Plus – budget-friendly; 4-22 lbs. Stick to the “Elite Plus” model since that’s the only version of the Comfy Carry that has an adjustable base. FULL REVIEW HERE 

Britax Chaperone  - Anti-rebound bar; 4-30 lbs - FULL REVIEW HERE

Britax B-Safe –  rated from 4-30 lbs. FULL REVIEW HERE

Evenflo Embrace 35 – Another budget-friendly option; 4-35 lbs. FULL REVIEW HERE

Graco SnugRide 35 – specifically the new model with the updated infant insert; new models are rated from 4-35 lbs. We do NOT recommend the SR35 models rated from 5-35 lbs for preemies or low birthweight infants.FULL REVIEW OF NEW SNUGRIDE 35 HERE

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Aside from a Car Bed (which hospitals do loan to babies who cannot pass a car seat test), there is no such thing as a "preemie" seat. That brown death trap you had your baby in is just a regular Evenflo or Graco infant seat.

The only seats rated from 4 pounds (common preemie size) are the Combi Shuttle, CCO, and Chicco KeyFit.

Quoting tnkrbell860:

ok...first of all not ALL preemies need a car bed. and second this was a brand new preemie car seat given to us on loan from a car seat tech. How was I being stubborn and selfish because a licensed car seat tech installed a preemie seat in our car for our preemie daughter?? If I placed her in a regular car seat that I installed myself without giving it two thoughts...you would have every right to say what you are...I love how you know nothing about the seat other than seeing a picture but are going to judge it...seriously?

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Preemies sometimes need a Car Bed, but they look entirely different than what you have in be pic.

That old, junky brown seat she is in does NOT fit her all!

Straps must come from at or below shoulders, and hers are Way above! You are lucky you didn't kill your baby because you want to be stubborn and selfish .

Quoting tnkrbell860:

This seat....Chicco KeyFit 30 (4-30 lbs) 

Quoting MamaPeanut:

OP, that seat did NOT it get at all as a newborn!!

How could you just risk her life like that?!

The straps should come from at or Below shoulders die rear facing and they are way above hers. You needed to buy her a decent seat, rather than use what is obviously a used, older piece of crap!

• tnkrbell860
    January 23, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Ok, but there is not one picture posted of her IN a car seat in a heavy winter coat/snowsuit. She is normally in her Pink Puma Hooded Fleece (which is actually the top to an outfit) The one picture of her with the little snowman was in my Grandmother's living room so yes, the chest buckle had not been adjusted yet and is a little low. Other than that, when we brought her home the chest clip and buckle were the size of her chest.

Quoting imvanilla:

Well if you are still improperly positioning the chest clip and using heavy winter coats in the seat then yes, yes she is unsafe.

I am telling you that your 'certified' tech was wrong. The hospital doctors aren't certified.

Every pic you posted includes something incorrect.

Quoting tnkrbell860:

Sure..if that is what you believe, cuz I bet she is SOOOO unsafe in her regular car seat now as well too :D

Quoting imvanilla:

You decided to post on an open forum.

Your own picture evidence is enough to show that you know squat about carseat safety.

Quoting tnkrbell860:

Ok, believe what you want. It's not being defensive, it's about people trying to tell me what her car seat was or wasn't by a picture. Until they saw it in person they have absolutely no right to say it was old, expired, installed wrong etc...

Quoting imvanilla:

You suck at carseat safety.

Maybe stop being defensive and actually listen to people and you'll learn something.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 23, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    You know what happens when you click on those links ? Car beds , Chicco key fit 30 , graco snug ride 30 , my ride 35 , Quattro travel system , that's what comes up because ALL of those seats are rated for very small babies.

Car beds are the only speciality seat available.

Quoting tnkrbell860:

Because I said that? No, I stated what the NICU in MY area does. And if there IS no such thing as a preemie car seat why when I google Preemie car seats there are multiple links? So, yea....It all comes down to on this forum that no one ever thinks they are wrong. So, whatever, if people want to take what I posted and argue back and forth that there is no such thing...fine. It's just what the car seat tech told me...so...

Quoting Anonymous:

So this NICU in particular is the only NICU in the entire United States that has access to preemie car seats is this what your telling me ? Are you saying that when I spent months searching for a car seat and almost ended up purchasing a medical car bed seat because there IS no such thing as a preemie car seat that I was lied to by one of the top NICUs in the United States ?

Seriously fact check , it's not hard to do.

Quoting tnkrbell860:

^This is the one the car seat tech loaned us...It is Graco but definitely not a Graco Snugride 30. 

^This one is one we purchased..it is the Graco Snugride 35...rated for 5lbs to 35lbs and up to 32in. 

The car seat tech is the one said they have preemie car seats 2lbs and up and said that was what he gave me. I have seen the lowest in store 4lbs and up. We got her convertible seat for her Shower. Had she been born on her due date she would have been fine in what we had already purchased for her...Knowing absolutely NOTHING about preemies/preemie car seats before having her, I listened to a licensed car seat tech, recommended by the NICU and the Police Dept that was there working with him...

Evenflo Symphony 65 LX All-In-One Convertible Car Seat - Graphic Black 

• Rear Facing for infants 5 to 40 lbs.
    • Forward Facing for infants 20 to 65 lbs.
    • Booster for children 40 to 100 lbs.

Quoting Anonymous:

The graco snug ride 30 ( which is the seat the man with the car seat trailer gave you ) is rated from 4-30 lbs. YOU need to check your facts , no car seat is rated for 2lbs.

• MamaPeanut
    January 23, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    That is very good information, I'm glad you've looked into this.

My son was a preemie also and we had an OnBoard35 for him, in WI, and he NEVER wore a snowsuit in it.
    Why? Because I am literate. I read the manual.

Quoting tnkrbell860:

And here we go again...really those are the ONLY seats rated 4lbs? Because, no...they aren't....2 of the 3 you stated aren't even listed here...but it's fine, you believe what you want...I will believe what I want

Chicco KeyFit 30 (4-30 lbs) and the original model Chicco KeyFit (rated from 4-22 lbs only; usually sold with stroller as part of a travel system). FULL REVIEW OF KEYFIT 30 HERE

Safety 1st onBoard 35onBoard 35 Air & onBoard 35 Air SE (“Air” models have premium base and Air-Protect Technology).   All onBoard models are rated from 4-35 lbs. FULL REVIEW OF ONBOARD 35 AIR HERE

Safety 1st Comfy Carry Elite Plus – budget-friendly; 4-22 lbs. Stick to the “Elite Plus” model since that’s the only version of the Comfy Carry that has an adjustable base. FULL REVIEW HERE 

Graco SnugRide 35 – specifically the new model with the updated infant insert; new models are rated from 4-35 lbs. We do NOT recommend the SR35 models rated from 5-35 lbs for preemies or low birthweight infants.FULL REVIEW OF NEW SNUGRIDE 35 HERE

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Aside from a Car Bed (which hospitals do loan to babies who cannot pass a car seat test), there is no such thing as a "preemie" seat. That brown death trap you had your baby in is just a regular Evenflo or Graco infant seat.

The only seats rated from 4 pounds (common preemie size) are the Combi Shuttle, CCO, and Chicco KeyFit.

Quoting tnkrbell860:

ok...first of all not ALL preemies need a car bed. and second this was a brand new preemie car seat given to us on loan from a car seat tech. How was I being stubborn and selfish because a licensed car seat tech installed a preemie seat in our car for our preemie daughter?? If I placed her in a regular car seat that I installed myself without giving it two thoughts...you would have every right to say what you are...I love how you know nothing about the seat other than seeing a picture but are going to judge it...seriously?

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Preemies sometimes need a Car Bed, but they look entirely different than what you have in be pic.

Straps must come from at or below shoulders, and hers are Way above! You are lucky you didn't kill your baby because you want to be stubborn and selfish .

Quoting tnkrbell860:

Quoting MamaPeanut:

The straps should come from at or Below shoulders die rear facing and they are way above hers. You needed to buy her a decent seat, rather than use what is obviously a used, older piece of crap!

• tnkrbell860
    January 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM

That's nice to hear. I read the manual for her car seat I have now, thanks. Not to mention it says nothing about not using snowsuits or bulky coats...so. AND if you read my original post, I stated how she is normally in her fleece because she is a little furnace. Which is the Pink PUMA Hooded Fleece (which is actually the top to an outfit of hers) in the picture with her snowman (which, oh no, has beaded eyes). No one ever reads things fully, they just jump to conclusions and think everyone in the world is wrong if they don't do things they way THEY do...I am not saying I NEVER put her in a bulky snowsuit (obviously I have because I posted a picture of it, btw she had only been in that suit two times, one being Christmas Eve for part of the way home from CT) but if I DO put her in a snowsuit they are either the thin pink one with ears and Christmas time the even thinner Reindeer one. So keep judging if it makes you feel better about yourself... :D

Quoting MamaPeanut:

That is very good information, I'm glad you've looked into this.

My son was a preemie also and we had an OnBoard35 for him, in WI, and he NEVER wore a snowsuit in it.
    Why? Because I am literate. I read the manual.

Quoting tnkrbell860:

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Quoting tnkrbell860:

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Quoting tnkrbell860:

Quoting MamaPeanut:

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts