Mom Confessions

Anonymous
I feel so dumb, but is this a cold or the flu?
by Anonymous
January 21, 2013 at 2:41 AM
I can honestly say I do not think I've ever had a resperatory flu before. Only the stomach flu. Im pretty darn sick with something right now. But im not sure if its the flu thats going around, or just a bad cold...

I feel so dumb asking, but what do you think?

My symptoms:

Congested
Fever
Sore throat
Body aches
Very bad chills
Sneezing (but not often)
Upset stomach on and off
Very foul smelling gas

Replies

• cali_angel_girl
    January 21, 2013 at 3:09 AM

Sounds more like the flu to me.  Either way hope you feel better soon.

• melakay1981
    January 21, 2013 at 3:11 AM

I just got over this and the only thing that helped me breath was saline nose drops.  If you do not have any you can make them at home with some salt in warm water.  I think it kept me from getting a sinus infection too.  My husband refused to do it (he hates the way it feels when it runs down your throat, he is on an antibiotic and I am not.

• cjsix
    by cjsix
    January 21, 2013 at 3:12 AM

You're welcome!  A few years ago...maybe 7 or 8 each time I woke up I hurt worse. I kept telling hubby that it wasn't the arthritis,it was different. By morning I was miserable...I woke up at one point after he should have been at work and he was still home. He called in and told them what was going on and stayed home to watch the kids so I could sleep. Good thing cause I was so out of it for a day and a half...I'd wake up long enough to go to the bathroom and then be out again.the only time I've had the flu and I soooo want it to stay that way. huggingHugs Momma!

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you so much! I will definitely be trying these things! Cause I feel like straight up garbage right now! Lol

Quoting cjsix:

The body aches make me think you probably have the flu. Vitamin C,garlic(you can add chopped garlic to chicken soup and it will taste homemade) these will help boost your immune system,peppermint tea is good for upset tummies,lemon,honey and hot water will sooth your sore throat,and help boost your immune system,fresh ginger sliced thin and hot water and honey to sweeten will help your tummy,inflamation and pain....along with your tummy. I hope you feel better soon.

• Alejandra10
    January 21, 2013 at 3:13 AM
    oh that's the flu my family had it yeah that's the flu I never knew uset stomich was a flu symptom but after this round of flu in my house of the upset stomich was bad
  • mymanben
    January 21, 2013 at 3:15 AM
    Oh no! Lots of fluids. Water and gatorade/pedialyte

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you! My dd has this as well. Its going to suck so bad if we both start throwing up. My SO just txt me from work that hes starting to not feel good and he feels out of it and no energy. Uh oh. =\

Quoting mymanben:

Me.too. Just thought I would give a fair warning. I was startled by it. Was not expecting it. Feel better soon.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh no! Please don't tell me that! Lol I absolutely DESPISE the stomach flu and throwing up!

Quoting mymanben:

My son woke up with that about a week ago, than Friday night started throwing up.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 21, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Well, I had a weird feeling in my stomach for about 48 hours, and horrid gas. I went to bed last night feeling fine, and woke up feeling like I got ran over by a truck.

Quoting Anonymous:

The sypmtoms of a cold and the flu can be very simliar. The easiest way to determine which it is, is to consider how long it took you to become sick. Did you become sick over a few days   Or did you wake up feeling great and suddenly became sick?  If you became sick quickly (usually you can pinpoint the exact moment you started to feel ill) then it's the flu.  If you became sick over the course of a few days, it's a cold.

Sounds like you have a bad cold. 

When you get the flu it hits you hard. It's rare that someone wakes with the flu since it develops so quickly and it's very unlikely you become contaminated while you sleep. 

The last time I had the flu, I stopped for gas on my way to work and felt great.  I swallowed while I was pumping gas and noticed my throat felt sick.  By the time I finished pumping gas and drove 3 miles home I was so tired I couldn't get to my couch fast enough and had a 102 temp within 30 minutes of first noticing my throat was thick.

Mom Confessions