Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
S/O Would you get rid of an animal for a child? EDIT
by Anonymous
January 19, 2013 at 10:23 PM
If you had to choose between an animal and your kid which would you choose??

I cannot believe the responses to the other post. I get loving your animal, but if the child is allergic, the animal has to go. I dont care if its just her step kid that is allergic, it shouldnt even be a question.

Edit: Wow, I went to bed with 100 responses and woke up to 300 lol I didnt realize this would take off like this....

So new question...

For those of you that are fine with just medicating the kid, so you can keep your beloved pet, what if you were the BM in this situation. Would you be okay with Dad drugging your child, with several benedryl a day, everytime your kid goes for visitation?

Replies

• Anonymous 131
    by Anonymous 131
    January 22, 2013 at 5:05 AM

Our family had to sell our beloved horses and give away the cats when my brother was born.  It wasn't worth his health.  But his was a severe allergy.  We were really sad about the animals but in our family people always came first.

• Anonymous 131
    by Anonymous 131
    January 22, 2013 at 5:13 AM

Some people are stupid!

• Anonymous 132
    by Anonymous 132
    January 22, 2013 at 5:15 AM

DOUBLE-U TEE EFFE!

• sugarcrisp
    January 22, 2013 at 5:17 AM

I'm allergic to our dog. Never had issues when younger with our family dog. Went a few years without, got this puppy for my son for his therapies and it's just not working.

His benefit from the dog is not drastic enough to keep me drugged and drowsy all of the time, so the dog goes. I REFUSE to be drugged up on something daily on an issue that can be resolved by some sort of lifestyle change.

• zeesmuse
    January 22, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Then that should have been put in the original post. I would STILL find alternative places to board the pet for that one weekend.

My niece is HIGHLY allergic to dogs. She would only visit her father every other weekend and HIS WIFE REFUSED to put the dogs out. She came home with a fever and sick every single time and my sister would lose the following Monday from work. Even when the judge ORDERED Them to either get rid of dogs or kennel them, the wife refused to comply. Her reasoning was the doctor's statement only said she was allergic to dogs - not specifically HER dogs.

Sorry. Even it's only one weekend a month, the kid comes first.

Quoting Anonymous:

He's nine and only there a weekend a month, it's SO not this serious...

Quoting zeesmuse:

It's NOT a choice. The Pet goes. Sorry. Anyone who doesn't believe that and would choose the pet over the child needs to a) NOT BE A PARENT or b) DO NOT MARRY A PARENT!

y'all need to get your priorities straight!

• Bknotnobody
    January 22, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    True.

And if my son who lived with me 24/7 could not handle it then yes I'd look into it.

However for such a brief amount of time, and the knowledge that the benedryl works, then I would do that.

We are obviously all different, but I would definitely try any and every avenue to make it so we could all live together before leaving my animals in the hands of someone I barely know or a shelter. They're 4 and 6 and not even 1. Plus the cat she's 4. No one likes older animals. :-/ I'd hate to see them put down too.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you kidding me? I mean I guess it depends on how serious the allergy is, but most pet allergies are horrible though. A lot are linked to Asthma. Drugs do not always help and many leave you feeling drowsy or with other side effects. Why would you want any child to experience that? Coming from personal experience I can tell you it's miserable. I'm not saying don't try to keep them, but if you have exhausted all other avenues, the pets have to go. They are animals, not people, & every child deserves to feel welcome in their home!

Quoting Bknotnobody:

This

Quoting MyGirlsAbbyLiz:

If the allergy can be treated with meds i see no reason to get rid of a pet.

• DeannaLeigh79
    January 22, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Nope. My chihuauhua is my child too. : ) 

• WashingtonMom
    January 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM

I am allergic to animals in general - we have 4 cats and a dog. I take Zyrtec every day, and am very careful to avoid touching the cats and then sticking my finger in my eye, heh. I wash my hands very often, use a lint roller to de-hair myself and try to keep the carpet and furniture as clean as we can. 

My DD has started to show some signs of sniffles so I'm pretty sure she may be developing an allergy. I make sure that she takes the same care with washing hands and keeping clean.  Her allergy, if that's what it is, doesn't seem to be too severe. I guess it would depend on the severity of the allergy. 

Our cats are all around the same age, 8 years or so, and chances are when they pass on we will not replace them as long as the dog is still around. I love having animals and have had them all my life. There was maybe a 3 day period when my only cat had to be put to sleep before I broke down and had to get another. 

In the situation you describe, I would hope Dad would take care to keep the home clean and as hair free as possible or maybe have a specific room to lock up the animal while the child visits. There are options other than Benadryl that won't zonk the kid out as well. 

• mom2makayla809
    January 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM
    Definitely the pet would go. My kid comes first.
  • Mommy383
    January 22, 2013 at 7:03 PM
    These women here are something. Most of you are the same ones that are so against junk food, processed food but are ready to dope a kid up without hesitation.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN