Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Diatech12
EEKKK finally getting 1/4 a cow.
January 18, 2013 at 9:40 PM

DH and I have talked off and on for quite some time about buying 1/2 for 1/4th a cow. 

Well the oppertuity just hit us. Step FILs boss has one ready to butcher, hes taking half and asked fil if he wanted the other. fil knows we wanted some so they are taking 1/4 and we are taking 1/4. They are butchering the 1st and letting it hang for 21days before cutting. Our 1/4 should cost about $600 and about 300lbs. We get to pick what ever cuts we want and we have our own meat grinder to make burgers and such!!

Anyone else ever done this??

Replies

• harehelper
    January 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Ok. I am not terribly experienced at this yet either, but I have done some research and asked questions of my friend who has been raising her own for years, and that is what most people do around here anyway.

Quoting Diatech12:

Oh I dont know if it is. Ive never been apart of this much of it. When I did my steer, someone bought it and the next day it left on a truck so I dont know if thats standard or why he is hanging that long, I'll ask DH if he knows tomorrow.

Quoting harehelper:

You are hanging for 21 days? Isn't that kind of a long time? The usual (for the processors around here anyway) is about ten to fourteen.

• Anonymous 7
    by Anonymous 7
    January 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM

We do. I grew up with my parents doing it. My dads cousin raises them. 

• Lilys_mama1222
    January 19, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    We got a hog last year gonna look into it again this year :)
  • eesmommy
    January 19, 2013 at 7:08 PM
    We do that yearly, I am actually waiting for ours currently :-)
  • Thomasmom07
    January 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM
    We are doing that next month. My bil works at a cattle processing plant and they get amazing deals on meat. They bought some last month and he only payed like $450 for a 1/4 and they cut it how he wanted it.
  • mattiehatter
    January 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I have wanted to, but haven't found anyone to split with.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN