Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Is there a trick to spreading frosting?
by Anonymous
January 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Every time I frost a cake, the top comes off and it looks like crap. Is there a trick to frosting a cake? I know stupid question. Lol.

Replies

• lovemyairman150
    January 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM
    Maybe the the way you're spreading it. I've had that issue before too and thats what I was doing wrong. Are you just flopping it on at one end and trying to spread it across the entire cake like butter on toast?
  • NBean311
    January 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Let it cool completely before frosting. I whip my frosting with a hand mixer to soften it before using, it also makes it light and fluffy. Make sure frosting is at room temp, or even a little warmer. Not so warm that it melts, but warm enough to be pliable. I spread a very thin crumb layer, freeze it to harden, then apply the layer of frosting that will be the outside. 

Hope that helps! 

• SweetMama823
    January 18, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    Let it cool first.
  • CreziaMommyTo2

i guess how thick are you making your frosting and what kind of tool are you using to spread the frosting, also what kind of cake are you making, i have found certain recipes, i will alter my frosting for.

if you are talking about boxed cakes and canned frosting, try whipping the frosting first to fluffin it up.  use a frosting spatula.

• vixen42
    by vixen42

make sure your cake is completely cool before you start and I microwave my frosting in 3o second times to make it more spreadable and soft

• laranadtony

Yeah, you let your mom or your mother in law do it.

• NiCo86
    by NiCo86
    January 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I am very impatient, and have found that I have to let the cake cool COMPLETELY before i frost it (which is sooooo hard for me to wait!!!!)

• anitarichman

microwave the frosting for 30 seconds (or more depending on your micro) to soften it.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    That's pretty much what I do. Lol.

Quoting lovemyairman150:

Maybe the the way you're spreading it. I've had that issue before too and thats what I was doing wrong. Are you just flopping it on at one end and trying to spread it across the entire cake like butter on toast?
  • Amy_M
    by Amy_M

Make sure it is completely cooled.  Putting it in the freezer before frosting helps a bunch too.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN