Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Is there a trick to spreading frosting?
by Anonymous
January 18, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Every time I frost a cake, the top comes off and it looks like crap. Is there a trick to frosting a cake? I know stupid question. Lol.

Replies

• lovemyairman150
    January 18, 2013 at 4:11 PM
    Maybe the the way you're spreading it. I've had that issue before too and thats what I was doing wrong. Are you just flopping it on at one end and trying to spread it across the entire cake like butter on toast?
  • NBean311
    January 18, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Let it cool completely before frosting. I whip my frosting with a hand mixer to soften it before using, it also makes it light and fluffy. Make sure frosting is at room temp, or even a little warmer. Not so warm that it melts, but warm enough to be pliable. I spread a very thin crumb layer, freeze it to harden, then apply the layer of frosting that will be the outside. 

Hope that helps! 

• SweetMama823
    January 18, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    Let it cool first.
  • CreziaMommyTo2

i guess how thick are you making your frosting and what kind of tool are you using to spread the frosting, also what kind of cake are you making, i have found certain recipes, i will alter my frosting for.

if you are talking about boxed cakes and canned frosting, try whipping the frosting first to fluffin it up.  use a frosting spatula.

• vixen42
    by vixen42

make sure your cake is completely cool before you start and I microwave my frosting in 3o second times to make it more spreadable and soft

• laranadtony

Yeah, you let your mom or your mother in law do it.

• NiCo86
    by NiCo86
    January 18, 2013 at 4:14 PM

I am very impatient, and have found that I have to let the cake cool COMPLETELY before i frost it (which is sooooo hard for me to wait!!!!)

• anitarichman

microwave the frosting for 30 seconds (or more depending on your micro) to soften it.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    That's pretty much what I do. Lol.

Quoting lovemyairman150:

Maybe the the way you're spreading it. I've had that issue before too and thats what I was doing wrong. Are you just flopping it on at one end and trying to spread it across the entire cake like butter on toast?
  • Amy_M
    by Amy_M

Make sure it is completely cooled.  Putting it in the freezer before frosting helps a bunch too.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts