Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
I NEEED HELP!!!!! No sleep til the house is destroyed. *********EDITIED WITH PIC*******
by Anonymous
January 17, 2013 at 11:37 PM

old and a 15 month old.

The 3 year old will NOT stay in bed or her room at night. She will go to bed, then wake up around 3 or 4am. Then again arounf 5 or 6. IF she was quiet and just stayed in her room, I wouldnt mind. I cant fault her for not being able to sleep. But she gets up and wanders around our house SOOOOO quietly. She gets into everything! The worst part is we cannot hear a damn thing and only discover the aftermath the next morning.

Whats strange is her energy level despit her lack of sleep. UP THERE!!!!!

She doesnt nap at all. Goes to bed around 8:30 or 9am and despite how many times she wakes up, she up for the day around 6:30am. She used to have a TV in her room which she could watch at night, but she lost it for her out of control temper tantrums and being mean and not sharing with her little sister.

Any ideas?

*******k so this is best picture I could find of the archway. Its 84" across. We use these insulated curtains. Behind dh and 3 year old is the kitchen/laundry area. This is actually him putting her back to bed the first time we caught her!*********

Replies

• christi34
    January 18, 2013 at 12:03 AM

No clue. My kids are totally opposite. They would stay up late and sleep in if possible. You might want to reconsider giving back her tv. That might help. It would be nice if places like Home Depot could sell those doors that can come open at the top half and the bottom half stayed closed. Like this:

• edelweiss23
    January 18, 2013 at 12:04 AM
    Baby gate idk.
  • littlesippycup
    January 18, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Door alarm. Shut her door and when she leaves her room get up and go put her back to bed. That or an extra tall baby gate.

• ihave1
    by ihave1

its midnight here and my two year old is wide awake.  ugh  so here is a bump for you. 

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    We have a door like that separating our kitchen and dining room. Not sure why and we never used it until we got our puppy. Then it really came in handy to keep him in the kitchen but not totally isolate him.

Op.....I don't have any advice either.....my dd is 3 and if she gets up at all it would be to come into our bed. She knows better then to go anywhere else in the house alone. You could try a baby gate in her room or the top of the stairs so she can't wonder. Not sure her maturity level but if she's not able to understand that she's not allowed to wonder and get into things then she is probably not safe doing this either.

Quoting christi34:

No clue. My kids are totally opposite. They would stay up late and sleep in if possible. You might want to reconsider giving back her tv. That might help. It would be nice if places like Home Depot could sell those doors that can come open at the top half and the bottom half stayed closed. Like this:

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    January 18, 2013 at 12:08 AM
    My 2 yr old boy would just climb right over this... lol

Quoting christi34:

• VintageWife
    January 18, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Use one of those alarms that are really cheap but if they separate from eachother, they make a high pitch alarm. You can turn it off during the day

• chefmartha
    January 18, 2013 at 12:14 AM

A Dutch door. I was thinking the same thing. If we hadn't been living in military housin when my kids were that age, I would have done that myself. My youngest used to do the samething if she felt it was time to be up. We used to have double baby gates up to keep her in during naptime. Although she was one of the ones that needed a nap or she was a monster from mid-afternoon on.

Quoting christi34:

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    January 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM

She can easily climb over a traditional one and can open the latch on the walk through ones as silent as snow falling. its nuts!

Quoting edelweiss23:

Baby gate idk.

• KrissyKC
    January 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM

There are some natural sleep aids that you can look into... I've never needed them with my heavy sleepers...

But, regarding getting up at night, I used to do that for at time as a child.. because I learned that I enjoyed having free reign and sneaking around getting into stuff I wanted that I couldn't when awake...  LOL!   I was such a brat!

I suggest maybe a baby monitor and some type of alarm or bell rigged up on her door so that when she opens it, you have a warning.   Instantly respond by returning her to bed.   Don't argue or fuss with her, and don't let her give you excuses (except once to pee)...  Just return her to her bed, tuck her in, and remind once it's still bedtime and not time to wake.

You could also get her her own alarm clock and set it to play music when she is allowed to get up.. (6:30? 7:00?)...

prior to that time, return her to bed over and over if needed... but don't make it a power struggle.. just quietly put her straight back to bed.

It might take some legwork the first several times.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN