Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Mamas with Hypothyroidism
by Anonymous
January 17, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Okay, I was in a hospital in December for heart palpitations and while they were trying to find the cause, they tested my thyroid. (Because hyperthyroidism can cause it. I ended up with tachycardia) My TSH (I think thats what it is) level was 6.8. My general doctor is now sending me to an endocrinologist. I have a few questions

1) What will the endocrinologist do? What tests will he/she run?
2) How long after starting the medicine did you notice a difference?
3) Have you lost any weight while on it?

TY in advance :)

Replies

• edelweiss23
    January 17, 2013 at 8:07 AM
    My daughter has hypothyroid.

They do a physical exam as well as blood work. It takes about 4-6 weeks for her to notice a change when they tweak her meds.
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    January 17, 2013 at 8:08 AM
    Thanks!

Quoting edelweiss23:

My daughter has hypothyroid.

They do a physical exam as well as blood work. It takes about 4-6 weeks for her to notice a change when they tweak her meds.

• WarriorMum
    January 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Hi
    I have Hypo..
    1) they will take a history and blood work to find your hormone levels
    2) it can take up to 6 weeks before  you see a difference in you levels. It will take some time, with tweaking, to bring you up to the levels you need

3) I found by the 6th week that my weight began to steadily drop.

Other info: When my levels are dropping, i gain weight, chronic fatigue, hair thinning, dry skin, palpitations, dry/sore throat/hisly voice etc kick start all over again.

For further reference, if having CT/MRI with Contrast, please make sure the radiologist is aware that you have Thyroid issues. I hadn't a clue about this problem until this year when I was given 2 batches of Iodine that fried my thyroid completely resulting in a Thyroid storm.

You will be in medication for the rest of your life and it is easily managed if you take your medication everyday.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    January 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM
    Thank you! I have noticed all of those symptoms. (Dry skin and inability to lose weight have been the most noticeable.) I just kind of brushed them off.

Quoting WarriorMum:

Hi
    I have Hypo..
    2) it can take up to 6 weeks before  you see a difference in you levels. It will take some time, with tweaking, to bring you up to the levels you need

Other info: When my levels are dropping, i gain weight, chronic fatigue, hair thinning, dry skin, palpitations, dry/sore throat/hisly voice etc kick start all over again.

For further reference, if having CT/MRI with Contrast, please make sure the radiologist is aware that you have Thyroid issues. I hadn't a clue about this problem until this year when I was given 2 batches of Iodine that fried my thyroid completely resulting in a Thyroid storm.

You will be in medication for the rest of your life and it is easily managed if you take your medication everyday.

• WarriorMum
    January 17, 2013 at 8:27 AM

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you! I have noticed all of those symptoms. (Dry skin and inability to lose weight have been the most noticeable.) I just kind of brushed them off.

Quoting WarriorMum:

Hi
    I have Hypo..

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    January 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM
    I have the opposite. Mines hyperactive. The only meds I take are for high blood pressure. When mines started acting up I weighted 170 and lost 50 pounds in just under a year from it.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts