Mom Confessions

tastelikeyum
If you and/or your child has ADD/ADHA I need your help.
January 16, 2013 at 8:05 PM

To start off no I have not been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD but I did take a questionnaire and was told there is a strong possibility that I do suffer from ADHD. I really believe I have this condition. Growing up I had a really hard time in school. I had trouble concentrating in school and almost NEVER stayed on task. I would just space out and look around the room. If I read something I couldn't even tell you what I just read.

I didn't do much homework but when I did I would not turn it in. I knew something was wrong with me but I didn't know what. My teachers would just count me as a lazy student that was smart if I applied myself. How can I apply myself if I can't focus? I still have these issues today and it did affect my job.

Another thing that is causing me more problems now is my memory. I thought I was losing my memory because I was (still am) trying to suppress bad memories that happened to me when I was younger. I found out that people with ADD/ADHD also have memory problems as well as the other problems I have.

My daughter is going through this too. She is 5 but already I see a lot of the problems I have she has too. She even has the speech problems (she is in speech therapy) I had growing up. All I could think was "Oh God not her too". Because I see myself in her I want to get everything I can done for her to help her out. In the mean time I will also be getting help for myself and we will go through this together.

OK now my question, What do I do after we are diagnosed?How can I help her and help myself?What medication should I stay away from? What can I expect from her and myself if we are put on medication? I of course I will ask the doctor the same questions but I want to hear it from someone that goes through this.

I'm almost to tears because I didn't get help at all growing up, except for speech. Just like I knew something was wrong with me I knew something was wrong with her too. I got her tested by the BOE and she wasn't delayed enough for services other than speech. It makes me so mad because NOW they want to test her again because they see she needs help after I've been telling them this all along.

I'm kind of scared because I don't know what to expect. All I want is for her to be successful.

I'm sorry this post is all over the place but I had to get this off my chest and get some help from you all.

Thanks for the advice in advance!!

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 16, 2013 at 8:07 PM
    Your font is to big lol so i didnt read it but heres a bump
  • tastelikeyum
    January 16, 2013 at 8:11 PM

LOL Im sorry!! Thank you though!!

Quoting Anonymous:

Your font is to big lol so i didnt read it but heres a bump

• tastelikeyum
    January 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM

BUMP!

• tastelikeyum
    January 16, 2013 at 8:12 PM

BUMP!

• tastelikeyum
    January 16, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I need some feedback ladies!!

• tastelikeyum
    January 16, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Please help!!

• Pooobaihr
    January 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM

As for your daughter, try looking for a place that specialize in working with children with this disorder. 

No Idea what to do for you.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM

they wont give you meds unless you are working or in school.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM
    I feel like you just wrote about me. I don't see that my son has ADD or ADHD. I got diagnosed with it when I was about 13, I never took the medications because I didn't want to accept it. I've always felt stupid and very embarrassed but as an adult I clearly recognize that there is such a thing as ADD/ADHD. I am not taking medications for it but I would like to soon because I think it affects my performance as well.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I have it. I was taking medications for it for the past few years but stopped taking it a few months ago. It helped me focus a lt but if I forgot to take it I'd go through withdraw. I hated felling dependent on it so I weaned myself off of it and just function without meds. Plus i learned it affects your health later on inlife if your taking adderall. Sure I forget things and am easily distracted but if I concentrate on focusing I manage just fine. I also tend to keep myself busy and write notes on things I need to remember which helps. It's something you just learn to adjust to. It's not a " disability " unless you allow yourself to live like it is. Take control of it don't let it take control of you.

Mom Confessions