Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Cafe Steph
Is cops and robbers on the playground really something to be upset over?
January 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM

First Graders Suspended for Playing Cops & Robbers

Posted by Jeanne Sager on January 16, 2013 

playgroundYou know, I'm really getting tired of kids being punished for being normal kids. But here we go again. First graders at a Maryland elementary school have been suspended for having the audacity to play a good old-fashioned game of cops and robbers.

OMG. Don the Kevlar! Call out the National Guard! Six-year-olds are playing games on the playground!

After a 6-year-old was suspended -- in Maryland as well -- for pointing his fingers at his classmate and saying "Pow," this latest punishment that doesn't fit the crime hardly surprises me. Heck, we have kids being dubbed sexual deviants at 5 for hugging pals in kindergarten. NOTHING surprises me.

But it does depress me. These blatant over-reactions are slowly destroying childhood as we know it and turning kids into something ... jaded? Old? 

We're expecting kids to face issues that are far above their level of cognition. We're aging them.

Kids shouldn't know about school shootings and mass murders. They shouldn't know that a game of cops and robbers could upset some adults who see shades of darkness where they see only some innocent horseplay.

I can only wonder what is next if we keep pushing kids to explore topics they're not yet ready to deal with. Is cops and robbers going to be replaced by a game of drug dealers and addicts? Or maybe pimps and prostitutes? After all ... we're expecting kids to tackle more and more adult themes, but they are still just kids, kids who engage one another in play. Turning something into a game is in their nature.

I need no more proof of that than to look to these little boys playing cops and robbers. One of the boys' father is an Army staff sergeant who pointed out that his boy is well aware that his dad uses firearms in defense of this nation. He's a kid being brought up to respect guns ... but he's still just a kid who was playing a game.

Do we really want to take that away from our kids?

Is cops and robbers on the playground really something to be upset over?

Replies

• Matriarch87
    January 16, 2013 at 12:40 PM

No thats craziness.  Cops & Robbers is a great game!  

• Matriarch87
    January 16, 2013 at 12:41 PM

& Cowboys & Indians!  

• sheymann
    January 16, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Hell no. Schools are oversensative. All we're doing is taking away the joy of childhood. Ugh.

• CaileighsMom608

It's the overreacting paranoid  tofu eating germaphobic yuppies that are ruining childhood for kids!

• KenneMaw

Dear Heavens - the nerve of those small children playing such a violent game (insert sarcasm here).  Really?!  What's scary is that I bet there is at least one mother out there who thinks that game is terrible, but probably lets her kids play first-person shooter video games.   I agree with yoiu that we are slowly destroying kids' imaginations and childhoods. 

• 2ltlmonkeyz

I think that is silly , it is just kids being kids lol

• Pooobaihr
    January 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM

-.- no.

• rfhsure
    by rfhsure
    January 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM

no,  I don't think it's an issue. 'cops and robbers' is just an obvious term for good guys and bad guys. It sounds like its more the name of the game than anything else. If it were 'lions and antelopes' or 't-rexes and brontasaurus's' I imagine the school wouldn't find that a problem. 

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    January 16, 2013 at 12:46 PM

We wonder why kids no longer act like kids. Its because WE DON'T LET THEM. They are just having fun. I hate how everyone overthinks everything now days. Its so crazy. Its just a childhood game. But we are okay with parking them in front of an Xbox and letting them murder zombies, okay.

• JP-StrongForTwo
    January 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I agree 100%. its ridiculous and the reason we home-school. 

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts