Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
How do you lose weight when you're broke?
by Anonymous
January 15, 2013 at 11:14 PM

I love to eat healthy, but we're flat out broke. I can't afford a lot of healthy food, and what I can afford goes to the kids so they can stay healthy. We're at the point where all we can afford is ramen and pork n' beans (not literally but we're just about to that point). Fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains aren't an option for us, and it sucks. Does anyone know what to do?

ETA: My dad bought a yearly membership to a local gym for me for Christmas. It's helped, but I want to eat healthy to progress the weight loss faster. I exercise five days a week at the gym and walk thirty minutes on weekends with the kids.

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 15, 2013 at 11:33 PM

smaller portions, drink water, exercise, no sugar.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster

They're expensive for a weeks or two weeks supply.

Quoting Anonymous:

Fruits and veggies, only water. Not that expensive.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a membership to gym that was given to me by my father for Christmas,  I can excercise for free. I cannot eat healthy for free.

Quoting Anonymous:

Exercise at home? I'm pretty sure that's free.

• kaiser10123
    Zumba!!! Aka Exercise
  • brittanyjenean
    January 15, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Exercise at home, grow your own veggies and fruit.

• 428pm
    by 428pm
    January 15, 2013 at 11:35 PM

I lost tons of weight when I was poor, it was when I had money I got fat again.

I gave myself a 2.00 budget a day for food and walked to the grocery store for every meal

• SadeAyosmom
    January 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM

lentals.

eggs.

frozen veg.

for real thats what i buy its not that expensive.

buy tinned stuff too like corn and so on just look out for the sodium levels.

• moneysaver6
    Healthy, whole foods are actually cheaper than processed "foods".

For example, per serving even brown rice (and certainly white rice) is cheaper than Ramen. Dry beans are healthier than canned pork & beans.
  • aprilsalcro
    Every answer you get , you have an excuse fruit is not expensive. Frozen veggies are 1.25 at Walmart
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    You can still watch your caloric intake, brown rice isn't much more than white (especially if you're not buying minute rice, the stuff i get is 99ยข a bag, frozen vegis, a bag of apples, chicken breast is cheap, buy it on the bone & take the skin off yourself, buy oatmeal in the cartons instead of packets, lettuce by the head & lemon juice. Drink nothing but water. Exercise is free.

It takes more work, trust me, but what doesn't seem 10x harder when you're poor? you can do it mama!
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    Can you go to the local food bank? Canned fruit and veggies are still healthy. I get 3+ cans each of green beans and peaches in lite syrup(not my fave but betters can't be choosers right?). Plus I get frozen veggies very week. Then I get staples like rice, beans, peanut buyer, bread. Mine only carried whole wheat pasta and whole wheat bread which is a bonus!

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts