Mom Confessions

garnet83
Sloppy Vs. Put-Together; An Observation
January 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I've seen multiple threads about what is and is not acceptable for ladies to wear out in public. Typically, the ladies who are more "put-together" think the "sloppy" ladies are lazy/dirty or whatever. And the pj/yoga pant wearing ladies suggest they can wear whatever they want.

Well, a few minutes ago, I noticed something and realized it wasn't the first time I'd seen it and I thought it interesting. I'm at work right now. ***Let me go ahead and preface this with the fact that I usually am dressed up with hair done, makeup done, jewelry on, heels on, etc...*** I work with the public. I was walking from my desk to our break room to get a drink and a couple of ladies were in our lobby area, about to see one of our other employees. These ladies were they type that, on CM, would be bashed for looking sloppy. It really was pretty bad. They were both very heavy, yet wearing some sort of lounging attire that wasn't big enough for them. One of them had greasy hair up in a messy ponytail. They both wear wearing flip flops (its pouring down rain and cold outside). And I could see the butt crack of one of them. Now, although that's not how I would leave the house, I really don't care what they look like. Working with the public, there's not much I don't see and it takes a lot to phase me. But here's what got me....Both of them, and one in particular didn't even try to hide it, looked at ME with disdain. They looked me up and down and gave me "that look" that women give other women when they've sized them up and decided they hate them whether they know them or not. I wouldn't have even noticed them at all had I not felt myself being looked at. Then, one of my very pretty and put together co-workers walked by and she gave her a similar look. I realized this wasn't the first time I'd seen ladies from the "sloppy" side of the world look at the "put-together" ladies like this.

So here's my question. In what ways could they be judging to make them look at us with such disdain? What's the thought process? "How dare she look professional?" "OMG I hate women who wear nice clothes and makeup!"

So ladies, what's the deal?

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 14, 2013 at 2:56 PM
    Hmmm maybe they thought y'all were stuck up? IDK I don't get either.
  • happinessforyou
    January 14, 2013 at 2:57 PM

The deal is: women hate on other women all the time. This is just one example of bitchiness..... :(

• calvinsmommy18

i work at Walmart, and i see people come in there all the time wearing pajamas and clothes too tight and whatnot...personally i;d never go out in public like that but its not like im all dressed up at work either, but my hair is clean, neat and my clothes are clean. I didnt really answer your question though, just put another preospective into what I see on a daily basis.

• Matriarch87
    Maybe you didn't say hello or ask them how their day was going so they thought u were a snot.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 14, 2013 at 2:59 PM

They automatically think you are a stuck up snob... your nose is up in the air... They assume you are the type to look down on them and think of them as trash. You wouldn't waste a breath on their type... 

My inlaws are a lot like you described, so I know how they view the rest of the world. lol! They used to think I was a snob too. 

• danijean
    January 14, 2013 at 3:02 PM
    Honestly they were probably jealous you look nice. There have been times I have been in yoga pants with flip flop hair thrown up. I see a nice dressed lady and I'll give her the look. Haha mostly jealous that she has time to look put together. With a 4 month old those days are hard to come by.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    Jealousy? You looked nicer than them, whether it be your clothes or weight, and maybe that's why.
    I'm on of the "sloppy" people I guess. Jeans, shirt, huge hoodie, ponytail. I never look at people though so I never notice these things.
    But my bet is on jealousy.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    Man, I'm sick of this crap. I can wear a pair of nice fitting yoga pants and a clean tee shirt, do my hair and make up and look just fine. Damn. Just because I didn't put on real pants I'm automatically grouped in with actual slobby people?

I'm not over weight either, I'm 5'7 and (normally) 115, I'm pregnant and I weigh 135.
  • garnet83

Well that's just silly.

Quoting Anonymous:

They automatically think you are a stuck up snob... your nose is up in the air... They assume you are the type to look down on them and think of them as trash. You wouldn't waste a breath on their type... 

My inlaws are a lot like you described, so I know how they view the rest of the world. lol! They used to think I was a snob too. 

• Kitschy
    by Kitschy
    January 14, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Insecurity. They need to find fault with you to justify their own appearance.

Mom Confessions