Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
TrouserMouse
How hard is it to learn how to sew?
January 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I am not talking actually making clothes. I mean, like: turning the sewing machine on, threading it, and sewing in a straight line?  Lol, I have never touched a sewing machine before and I am totally clueless with how they work, but there are a couple of simple projects I would like to be able to do.

Replies

• Kaelaasmom
    January 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM
    Not very. They come with instructions, and I bet there are videos on YouTube. I recommend a Singer.
  • MistyMoo
    January 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM
    Not too hard lol depending on the machine that you have. I know my moms inside out, but I've tried to use my sisters and I'm like uhhh... Once you know your machine it's pretty easy :). I make a wicked pair of pj's once. And a pencil case lol.. One of my projects was going to be a dress, but I never got around to it..
  • TrouserMouse
    January 13, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I want to start simple and make an aromatherapy rice bag out of an old sweater for use during my labor. I just need to be able to sew it shut at each end basically...lol. 

Quoting MistyMoo:

Not too hard lol depending on the machine that you have. I know my moms inside out, but I've tried to use my sisters and I'm like uhhh... Once you know your machine it's pretty easy :). I make a wicked pair of pj's once. And a pencil case lol.. One of my projects was going to be a dress, but I never got around to it..

• Perfect.Pixie
    January 13, 2013 at 11:18 PM
    Easy peasy. Make sure you ready the manual before and go for it

Eta, I have a singer stylist 7258 and I love it... Not too fancy and not too cheap. Easy to use
  • notjstanothrmom
    January 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM
    No! I started sewing for the first time on a borrowed machine making my daughter cloth diapers. Those diapers I made were AWESOME.
  • emptyreliquary
    January 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM

In home ec we learned. Only... I was going to make a skirt. With my quitters attitude though, I made an awesome pillow case. lol. 

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    January 13, 2013 at 11:21 PM
    pretty simple. just dont buy some ancient one without a manual. i have a brother, and it came with a dvd so i could watch the woman wind the bobbin and all that crap step by step as they explained it.
  • TrouserMouse
    January 13, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I was hoping to be able to work my way up to cloth diapers. That is my ultimate goal. I would feel so accomplished.  This type of stuff is not my thing at all. That is why I have never even attempted before.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

No! I started sewing for the first time on a borrowed machine making my daughter cloth diapers. Those diapers I made were AWESOME.

• wooly
    by wooly
    January 13, 2013 at 11:22 PM

It's easy. I learned in the seventh grade and I have made clothes that looked nice enough to wear to work and had my fellow employees ask where I bought it.  If you buy a quality sewing machine they'll usually offer classes. If you bought a Brother from Walmart they usually have a book with diagrams that will walk you through threading the machine and basic sewing. Good Luck!!

• LucyHourglass
    January 13, 2013 at 11:23 PM

its really not that hard.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN