Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
TrouserMouse
How hard is it to learn how to sew?
January 13, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I am not talking actually making clothes. I mean, like: turning the sewing machine on, threading it, and sewing in a straight line?  Lol, I have never touched a sewing machine before and I am totally clueless with how they work, but there are a couple of simple projects I would like to be able to do.

Replies

• Kaelaasmom
    January 13, 2013 at 11:16 PM
    Not very. They come with instructions, and I bet there are videos on YouTube. I recommend a Singer.
  • MistyMoo
    January 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM
    Not too hard lol depending on the machine that you have. I know my moms inside out, but I've tried to use my sisters and I'm like uhhh... Once you know your machine it's pretty easy :). I make a wicked pair of pj's once. And a pencil case lol.. One of my projects was going to be a dress, but I never got around to it..
  • TrouserMouse
    January 13, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I want to start simple and make an aromatherapy rice bag out of an old sweater for use during my labor. I just need to be able to sew it shut at each end basically...lol. 

Quoting MistyMoo:

Not too hard lol depending on the machine that you have. I know my moms inside out, but I've tried to use my sisters and I'm like uhhh... Once you know your machine it's pretty easy :). I make a wicked pair of pj's once. And a pencil case lol.. One of my projects was going to be a dress, but I never got around to it..

• Perfect.Pixie
    January 13, 2013 at 11:18 PM
    Easy peasy. Make sure you ready the manual before and go for it

Eta, I have a singer stylist 7258 and I love it... Not too fancy and not too cheap. Easy to use
  • notjstanothrmom
    January 13, 2013 at 11:19 PM
    No! I started sewing for the first time on a borrowed machine making my daughter cloth diapers. Those diapers I made were AWESOME.
  • emptyreliquary
    January 13, 2013 at 11:20 PM

In home ec we learned. Only... I was going to make a skirt. With my quitters attitude though, I made an awesome pillow case. lol. 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 13, 2013 at 11:21 PM
    pretty simple. just dont buy some ancient one without a manual. i have a brother, and it came with a dvd so i could watch the woman wind the bobbin and all that crap step by step as they explained it.
  • TrouserMouse
    January 13, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I was hoping to be able to work my way up to cloth diapers. That is my ultimate goal. I would feel so accomplished.  This type of stuff is not my thing at all. That is why I have never even attempted before.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

No! I started sewing for the first time on a borrowed machine making my daughter cloth diapers. Those diapers I made were AWESOME.

• wooly
    by wooly
    January 13, 2013 at 11:22 PM

It's easy. I learned in the seventh grade and I have made clothes that looked nice enough to wear to work and had my fellow employees ask where I bought it.  If you buy a quality sewing machine they'll usually offer classes. If you bought a Brother from Walmart they usually have a book with diagrams that will walk you through threading the machine and basic sewing. Good Luck!!

• LucyHourglass
    January 13, 2013 at 11:23 PM

its really not that hard.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts