Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
.betty.white.
should they take the dog to the vet?
January 13, 2013 at 7:42 PM

About a month ago my parents noticed their female dog was getting fat.  Turned out she was knocked up.  Not a big deal, they hoped one day she would be.  Anyway, this morning she began to go into labor but she hasn't had the babies yet.  How long does a dog take to give birth?  They tired to take her to the vet for a prenatal appointment and the vet said they don't do that for dogs (lol) and things will progress naturally.  

So, what are warning signs and such?  Or is this all day thing normal? 

Oh the dog is a pugamo (sp?) and the father is a pug.

UPDATE:  If anyone cares, right after posting this they where on the phone with the after hours vet.  Bella is on her way there (or actually at this point should be there now!) I'll let everyone knows what happens!

Replies

• .betty.white.
    January 13, 2013 at 7:44 PM

bump

• spooky415
    January 13, 2013 at 7:47 PM
    She's a smaller breed right? That's strange that the vet wouldn't see her for prenatal care-usually they look at smaller breeds to make sure there's enough space. Well, I shouldn't say 'usually.' I don't breed dogs but I do have two chihuahuas and the vet and I talkd about it once. He said he usually sees smaller breeds when they're pregnant so they can see if there are going to be any problems. Most of the time things DO progress just fine-but they like to make sure because smaller breeds are more likely to have problems.

From what I understand-it normally takes about 6-8hrs to deliver, depending on the size of the litter-however, I don't know if that includes labor...
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM

pugs average about 25 pounds (or so they say, I've never seen a pug that wasn't fat and about 28 lbs, lol), so aren't considered a small breed necessarily.  I'm not sure what a pugamo is mixed with.

all day labor for a first timer is not unheard of.  the only time you would need to worry is if the dog is in obvious distress (and think about what you went through, and the dog will have a litter of 4 - 8 puppies) or is bleeding a lot more than you would expect.

Quoting spooky415:

She's a smaller breed right? That's strange that the vet wouldn't see her for prenatal care-usually they look at smaller breeds to make sure there's enough space. Well, I shouldn't say 'usually.' I don't breed dogs but I do have two chihuahuas and the vet and I talkd about it once. He said he usually sees smaller breeds when they're pregnant so they can see if there are going to be any problems. Most of the time things DO progress just fine-but they like to make sure because smaller breeds are more likely to have problems.

From what I understand-it normally takes about 6-8hrs to deliver, depending on the size of the litter-however, I don't know if that includes labor...

• .betty.white.
    January 13, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Yep, wouldn't even see her lol!  Ok, so she started at about 10:30 am (we where on our way to the commissary and had to turn around when we got the panicked call from my 15 year old brother lol)...  So, she should have it any minute...  They are going to take her to the emergency vet I think if it doesn't happen in the next few hours. 

Quoting spooky415:

• .betty.white.
    January 13, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Eskamo dog/pug.  

Ok, this is good news.  We where getting worried.  I got two of their kiddos (my brother and sister) because they didn't want to be there.  :)  Looks like Ill be having a school night slumber party lol

Quoting Anonymous:

pugs average about 25 pounds (or so they say, I've never seen a pug that wasn't fat and about 28 lbs, lol), so aren't considered a small breed necessarily.  I'm not sure what a pugamo is mixed with.

all day labor for a first timer is not unheard of.  the only time you would need to worry is if the dog is in obvious distress (and think about what you went through, and the dog will have a litter of 4 - 8 puppies) or is bleeding a lot more than you would expect.

Quoting spooky415:

• spooky415
    January 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM
    ohhh well if its not a small breed-maybe that's why? my friend has a pug and he's just so small-i always assume all other pugs are like him.
  • .betty.white.
    January 13, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    She is the size of any other pug.

Quoting spooky415:

ohhh well if its not a small breed-maybe that's why? my friend has a pug and he's just so small-i always assume all other pugs are like him.
  • .betty.white.
    January 13, 2013 at 8:04 PM
    OK in case anyone cares just got a text and the vet thinks one is stuck.... ill update when they get her to the vet poor dog :(
  • usmcwifey11
    January 13, 2013 at 8:06 PM
    Poor pup! My sister's dog had two csections.
  • .betty.white.
    January 13, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    OMG I can't even imagine how bad that must have hurt! Did the puppies survive?

Quoting usmcwifey11:

Poor pup! My sister's dog had two csections.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts