Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
My son's teacher has called a conference
by Anonymous
January 12, 2013 at 10:24 PM

My son is in kindergarten in a premier private school.  His teacher e-mailed me Friday and said she wanted to meet with me to discuss his progress.  She has NEVER had anything negative about him to say, has always sung his praises.  I don't know what to think.  Should I be concerned?  Should I be excited?  I'm concerned becuase, OBVIOUSLY no parents WANTS to hear anything negative about their child.  I'm excited because I know she's never had anything negative to say about it.  I move back to concerned bcause I do NOT want to move him above his current grade and I know that, in SOME areas, he is at the academic level to move forward.  In other areas, he is a NORMAL 5 year old.  I have NO idea what to expect.  I KNOW I have no reason to be concerned.  Please talk me down.  Teachers call off schedule conferences all the time, right?
P.S. At his conference, his teacher had nothing but the highest praises for him.    HELP!  Should I be concerned?  (I'm meeting with her Tuesday.) 
Edit:  She did NOT reference ANY behavioral concerns.  She ONLY stated that she wants to discuss his progress.  Part of me fears he's falling behind while part of me is wondering if she's wanting to discuss pushing him forward.  I, myself, have considered discussing the possibility of challenging him more in PARTICULAR areas.  AAAAAAAAAH!  I HATE not knowing!!! 

Replies

• vanellope
    January 12, 2013 at 10:26 PM
    It's mid year conference time most likely. Don't worry yourself into a tizzy for something that might happen. One day at a time, mama. Life is easier that way
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    January 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Its not.  This is an off-schedule conference.  We had conferences a little over a month ago, and when we have conferences, there is a huge online sign up process.  This is NOT that.  This is something personal, something having to do particularly with him and us.  *sigh*

Quoting vanellope:

It's mid year conference time most likely. Don't worry yourself into a tizzy for something that might happen. One day at a time, mama. Life is easier that way

• anotherhalf
    January 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM
    Don't worry! Sounds like he's doing great. If she thinks he should move ahead, you'll have a discussion but it is ultimately up to you.
  • desertlvn
    January 12, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Teacher here!

Take a deep breath. Did she specify what type of progress? She could mean all kinds of things, not just academic. It could simply be that his coloring isn't great because of motor dexterity.

Whatever it is, you will work through it and be okay.

• doulala
    by doulala
    January 12, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Can be social issues.

• Sagely
    by Sagely
    January 12, 2013 at 10:34 PM
    I'm a teacher...and her request could be ANYTHING!

Maybe he just recently started struggling in some area. Knowing he's typically a kid who excels, she may feel its best to notify you like pronto to see if some extra support at home might "fix" the issue.

Another...and possibly more likely thought...she wants to put him in a gifted/accelerated program. Or suggest having him tested for gifted. I believe most of that testing is done through the schools (though by third parties) but they'd need your permission.
  • TexanMomOf6
    January 12, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Do you have a hard time waiting to open presents too?? LOL Just teasing...

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM
    Its kindergarten, relax.
  • Anonymous
    January 12, 2013 at 10:36 PM

No, she just said that she wants to meet with us to discuss his progress.  She is a veteran teacher.  We are BLESSED that he has such an AMAZING, wonderfully experienced teacher.  A little background, this is his third year of shool, not first.  I know she adores him.  Every day when she puts him in the car she has nothing but positive things to say.  I think I fear the positive as much as the negative.  I know EVERY parent wants an amazing kid, but I know that, in SOME areas, my child far exceeds grade level.  In others, he is at or above grade level.  I fear her discussing his downfalls as much as I fear her discussing how far ABOVE grade level he is (in kindergarten he is doing subtraction, two digit addition and simple multiplication).  Obviously, math is his strong suit, lol.  I know I'm worrying over nothing.  His teacher is AMAZING.  I absolutely adore her.  I'll just have to wait, ugh.  LOL (I had HOPED for a Monday conference but she prefered Tuesday.)

Quoting desertlvn:

Teacher here!

Take a deep breath. Did she specify what type of progress? She could mean all kinds of things, not just academic. It could simply be that his coloring isn't great because of motor dexterity.

Whatever it is, you will work through it and be okay.

• Anonymous
    January 12, 2013 at 10:38 PM

His school challenges EVERY child at their particular level.  They do not have a dedicated gifted program.  Part of why we chose his school is the individualization.  For example, this year, he has had ONE homework assignment.  Others in his class may have had one every night while some may have never had one.  The night HE had homework, it was homework specifically for HIM.  He was having difficulty with a letter, so he had to write that letter fifteen times.  That was all.  I LOVE his school; I am TRYING to relax but UGH!  LOL  I just want to know what this concerns.  

Quoting Sagely:

I'm a teacher...and her request could be ANYTHING!

Maybe he just recently started struggling in some area. Knowing he's typically a kid who excels, she may feel its best to notify you like pronto to see if some extra support at home might "fix" the issue.

Another...and possibly more likely thought...she wants to put him in a gifted/accelerated program. Or suggest having him tested for gifted. I believe most of that testing is done through the schools (though by third parties) but they'd need your permission.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Today's “Featured” Posts
More Featured Posts