Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Losing gracefully, how old is a good age for them to learn.
by Anonymous
January 12, 2013 at 10:55 AM

DS is almost four. For Christmas he got Candy Land and Hi Ho Cherry-O. We introduced them to the games by playing them until we all "win,"  so he could get a good grasp on the rules, and honestly I am the one who is always still at cupcake commons or has all her apples on the tree come the end of the game (I suck so bad at those games for some reason,) so he really does win, we just dont stop the game unless I am REALLY behind. 

We want to introduce him to losing though, DH was just teaching him tic-tac-toe and he lost a couple times and wanted to mark the board up until he won too, DH said no, only one can win, and DS decided he didnt want to play anymore. He didnt get upset, just "I don't want to play anymore" 

I dont want to "coddle" him, but is he old enough for the cold hard truth that he will lose, and he cant just stop doing something because he isnt the winner? Should we be pushing him more?

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    January 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    January 12, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • wilesmomma
    January 12, 2013 at 11:01 AM
    The earlier the better, trust me. Even then if they are extremely competitive teach them how to deal with losing. My 7 year old and I are damn near the same person and we are both extremely competitive. When we play games we play till death lol. That is also a reason why I don't watch sports.
  • lucky2Beeme

Right now he is just learning. Have your dh let him win at  Tic Tac toe a few times. You don't want him to not like it. While playing talk about how winners don't brag or try to make the person that lost feel bad. When dh loses have him say something along the lines of I wish I won but had so much fun playing with you (insert kids name). his way you are teaching him its all about playing and having fun.

• Sandiekd21

My kids and I frewuently play games- DD2.5 just watches.
    But, DS, who just turned four and DSD6 and I play them, and whoever wins, wins.
    I teach them how to loose and WIN gracefully.

• GUTTADABOSSLADI
    January 12, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Yes, I started teaching kids early because if not then they will think everything theirs and that they will win all things throughout  life. Your DH is right! Good Luck! It's not an easy job but we have to do it and do it together.

• shannonnigans
    January 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM
    I'm still learning this. Luckily, nobody beats me at Hi Ho Cherry O. Nobody.
  • othermom
    January 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Yes it is time. My 3 year old loses when we play sometimes. It is what happens when you play. If I win more than two times I will let her win a game so she isn't always losing.

• GaleJ
    by GaleJ
    January 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Perhaps you could stress that the games are fun to play regardless of whether one wins or loses. While I know some people are more competitive than others I think family games really should be played just for fun and not so much for the winning or losing aspect.

• SharonHernandez
    January 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM
    Bump

Mom Confessions