Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
momof2891
Having to sleep train...
January 11, 2013 at 8:52 PM
All over again! I am having to go through sleep training with my 6 yo dd and 3 yo ds all over again because dh is a big softy and as soon as he hears one or both of them fighting their sleep, he says "oh just put them on the couch". The other reason they haven't been able to sleep in their room is because the apartment above us had a water leak and we had to have the ceiling replaced. Getting really frustrated and I'm hoping that I can accomplish it this weekend. I start back to school Monday and dd has school on Monday. Any suggestions? I'm not one to just stick their a$$es in the bed and ignore them while they cry. I didn't do that when they were babies and I'm not going to do it now.

Replies

• Bethbeth
    January 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM

can you explain what is going to happen beforehand. explain the getting ready for bed routine, you leaving the room, leaving the door open/nightlight on, them having a special toy, them going to sleep? What do they say? Are they afraid of something in particular?

• aidyns_mommy
    January 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    They are old enough for a consistent bedtime routine. Let them choose something they want before bed. A story, a small snack etc like 1/2 hour before. I found giving DS a choice in the matter helped Kwim? Also I tell him I will be back to check on you in___ minutes and he told me. Some nights it was 1 or2 some nights he said 89 lol. Either way he thinks its fun, and usually ALWAYS asleep by the time I check on him.

*eta when he is being really good during the day or doing something really awesome I remind him constantly how proud I am of him, and "isn't nice too get a good nights sleep" " its nice to not be tired, and getting in trouble isn't it?" He loves hearing it, and makes him want to sleep so much more :)
  • LucyHarper
    January 11, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Get them up early and don't let them sleep until their bedtime, take them out and get them wiped out by bedtime. It may take a few days and you may have to listen to them cry, but they will get back into the pattern. 

• momof2891
    January 11, 2013 at 8:59 PM
    I can do that with the 6 year old. She understands that it's bedtime and she has to stay in bed. But my 3 year old... As soon as get up, he is up and out of bed wanting to play. If they didn't have to share a room, it would be a little easier.

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

They are old enough for a consistent bedtime routine. Let them choose something they want before bed. A story, a small snack etc like 1/2 hour before. I found giving DS a choice in the matter helped Kwim? Also I tell him I will be back to check on you in___ minutes and he told me. Some nights it was 1 or2 some nights he said 89 lol. Either way he thinks its fun, and usually ALWAYS asleep by the time I check on him.

*eta when he is being really good during the day or doing something really awesome I remind him constantly how proud I am of him, and "isn't nice too get a good nights sleep" " its nice to not be tired, and getting in trouble isn't it?" He loves hearing it, and makes him want to sleep so much more :)

• momof2891
    January 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM
    They share a room which doesn't help. My 6 year old who is in school knows that when I say it's bath time that its going to bed time soon and she is ok with that. My 3 year old doesn't understand that.

Quoting Bethbeth:

can you explain what is going to happen beforehand. explain the getting ready for bed routine, you leaving the room, leaving the door open/nightlight on, them having a special toy, them going to sleep? What do they say? Are they afraid of something in particular?

• aidyns_mommy
    January 11, 2013 at 9:03 PM
    At 3 he should understand that what you say goes. If you stay in bed you mean it. End of story. I don't mean yell at him or be mean, like I said tell him too stay and you will be back to check on him. Come back in less and a couples minutes, tell him again & gradually add time. He just wants reassurance. Like pp said wear them out during the day also helps! Also maybe a reward system- if he sees his sister doing what she is suppose too he will be more inclined to do it (and she will want to do it b/c she is'teaching' him. Its a win win? Lol

Quoting momof2891:

I can do that with the 6 year old. She understands that it's bedtime and she has to stay in bed. But my 3 year old... As soon as get up, he is up and out of bed wanting to play. If they didn't have to share a room, it would be a little easier.

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

• momof2891
    January 11, 2013 at 9:04 PM
    Dd is in school so she is up by 7:30 every morning and they have a 30 minute "rest time". My 3 year old is usually up by 8:30 and he stopped taking a nap when he was 22 months. Usually once he is asleep, he is out for the night. They just need to get used to sleeping in their room again.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Get them up early and don't let them sleep until their bedtime, take them out and get them wiped out by bedtime. It may take a few days and you may have to listen to them cry, but they will get back into the pattern. 

• momof2891
    January 11, 2013 at 9:07 PM
    I'm going to have come up with a reward system for him. Dd knows that if she gets a good night's sleep and has a good day in school, she will get a reward at the end of the week (if she gets green all week). I not sure what I can do with ds since he isn't in "school" yet.

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

At 3 he should understand that what you say goes. If you stay in bed you mean it. End of story. I don't mean yell at him or be mean, like I said tell him too stay and you will be back to check on him. Come back in less and a couples minutes, tell him again & gradually add time. He just wants reassurance. Like pp said wear them out during the day also helps! Also maybe a reward system- if he sees his sister doing what she is suppose too he will be more inclined to do it (and she will want to do it b/c she is'teaching' him. Its a win win? Lol

Quoting momof2891:

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

• luckysevenwow
    January 11, 2013 at 9:11 PM

I honestly don't care where my kids sleep so long as they go to sleep: under the kitchen table, in a cardboard box in the living room, in their closet, on the couches. Just sleep.

Sometimes they are moved and sometimes they aren't. for the most part they do sleep in their rooms. i just don't make a big deal of it.

• aidyns_mommy
    January 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM
    I am not saying put them against each other or anything, but make it known to him dd reward system. How well she is doing in school, that she gets blah blah at the end of the week. Maybe he will catch on?

Quoting momof2891:

I'm going to have come up with a reward system for him. Dd knows that if she gets a good night's sleep and has a good day in school, she will get a reward at the end of the week (if she gets green all week). I not sure what I can do with ds since he isn't in "school" yet.

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

Quoting momof2891:

Quoting aidyns_mommy:

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts