Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Bitterroot
The dentist strapped my child's hands to the chair (Bad dentist experiences) EDIT: He's in Michigan now.
January 11, 2013 at 2:21 PM

This is a S/O on the "natural dentistry" post.

I was remembering about the time I took my 4yod to a well-known and highly recommended pediatric dentist here in town.  He was supposed to be the BEST in town.

I trusted him and his clinic when they said I could not go back to the exam room with my child. I had to sit in the waiting room fretting for 1.5 hours! Nobody came to give me a heads up or to ask what I would allow to be done to my precious little 4yo child.

She came out of there with a pale white face, puking from the drugs they had given her WITHOUT MY CONSENT. They had pulled a baby tooth, and they had also performed some sort of root canal on a BABY TOOTH (I know better now, they were scheisters.) They told me I owed them hundreds of dollars for work on one single baby tooth. I left crying myself.

On the car ride home, my 4yo child revealed to me that they had strapped her hands to the chair. She was frightened and terrified and cried for me. I could not hear her and come help her.  Then she said they gave her medicine that made her feel like she was floating on the ceiling, but they still wouldn't untie her hands.

I called the dentist's office complaining about her being strapped to the chair in that manner, and they told me it was protocol for little children so they don't swipe at the dentist while he's working on their teeth. It was to protect the DENTIST, apparently.

Anyhow, it took me a long time to get over that incident and the fact that I felt I'd let me child down, I hadn't been there for her when she cried out for me. It took a long time for my child to get over it, herself.

I couldn't remember the dental office's name, but I do remember the name of the dentist:  Dr. Jost.

If it's the same one I went to, he's in Michigan now.

Replies

• Oostera
    by Oostera
    January 11, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I'm so sorry for you and your baby! That is terrible! I would feel exactly the same as you. There is no way I will ever let my young child go away with someone they don't know or may be uncomfortable with. Not that I'm saying you did anything wrong! We always have faith in a professional, especially a highly recommended one.

• bustybee
    January 11, 2013 at 2:31 PM

wow.

that is why I am adament that I be allowed to go back there. I'm sorry your dd had to go through that. hugs to her.

• autodidact
    January 11, 2013 at 2:32 PM

they said I could not go back to the exam room with my child. 

red fucking flag. no way I'd allow this. 

• Jessica_Esqueda
    January 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM

The moment someone told me I couldnt go in with my child, I would have taken my kid and ran. There is no reason EVER for a mother to not be allowed with her chld. 

• Bitterroot
    January 11, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Quoting autodidact:

they said I could not go back to the exam room with my child. 

red fucking flag. no way I'd allow this. 

I know this now.

I trusted this dentist's office since they had come so highly recommended.  Plus, she was my first kid, and how was I to know what they'd do to her?

I still get a sick tummy over it.

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    January 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    My 3 yr old twins just recently had their first dental appointment. Before I even scheduled the appointment, I asked what their policies are and how they handle very young patients. They were great. My DH went with one twin, and I went with the other.
  • autodidact
    January 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM

was it part of a chain? I saw an expose on a chain of places that were doing unwarranted root canals on a bunch of kids, same MO, ban the parents from the back, and do a shitload of unneeded procedures without obtaining permission. it had Smiles in the title I think. 

• Bitterroot
    January 11, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

My 3 yr old twins just recently had their first dental appointment. Before I even scheduled the appointment, I asked what their policies are and how they handle very young patients. They were great. My DH went with one twin, and I went with the other.

That was a great idea, asking the receptionist how they handle young-uns.

Well, I learned from my experience!  (My poor kid.)

Maybe my story will help another mama on this forum avoid the mistake I made.

• Bitterroot
    January 11, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Quoting autodidact:

was it part of a chain? I saw an expose on a chain of places that were doing unwarranted root canals on a bunch of kids, same MO, ban the parents from the back, and do a shitload of unneeded procedures without obtaining permission. it had Smiles in the title I think. 

Honestly, I don't recall the name.  They've shuddered their doors and haven't been in practice for a while now.

• jadsmummy
    January 11, 2013 at 2:39 PM
    My 19 month old has his first dental appointment this month. I am terrified.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts