Mom Confessions

maryjmom
18 hours.
January 11, 2013 at 3:06 AM

And I'm still going strong. Caffiene is a wonderful thing when you have a sick kiddo at home. My poor LO has the flu and its stressing me out something fierce. Her temp will NOT go below 101*, and the lowest its been today was 101.3, and that was almost 12 hours ago! She had an episode where her temp went up to 103.8, and I put her in a lukewarm bath, which helped a little bit, but since then her temp has stayed at 101.

How dangerous is that? Is that a serious temp to be stuck at? Every site that I have Googled said to seek immediate medical attention. I'm having to literally remind her to drink fluids ( she has a cup full of Gatorade and water sitting beside her  ). She doesn't even have the energy to go to the bathroom. I had to almost carry her in there a while ago so she could pee. She did pee a normal amount though so I don't think she is dehydrated.

My main concern is the temp issue. How high is too high? Is 101 or higher a dangerous temp to be stuck at for almost 12 hours?

DD is 7 years old, and I am alternating Tylenol and Advil, and she has a cool cloth on her head that I am keeping damp with cool water every few minutes.

Replies

• Sassy762
    January 11, 2013 at 3:08 AM

Just keeping alternating Tylenol and Motrin. If her temp is still high in the morning....I would take her to the pediatrican...GL

• kjfamily
    January 11, 2013 at 3:09 AM
    101 is not dangerous. What your doing is fine. Go to the doc tomorrow.
  • maryjmom
    January 11, 2013 at 3:12 AM

I took her to the doctor early this morning, and she was diagnosed with the flu then.

Quoting Sassy762:

Just keeping alternating Tylenol and Motrin. If her temp is still high in the morning....I would take her to the pediatrican...GL

• Mrs.Fus29
    January 11, 2013 at 3:13 AM
    I hope she feels better soon, so both of you can get some rest
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 11, 2013 at 3:13 AM
    Youre doing fine. What can actually break a fever is a luke warm bath with vineger. My ds had a fever and a family member suggested it and his fever was down in a hour. I just got over the flu my fever sat between 101-103 for 48hrs.
  • StrawberryCool
    January 11, 2013 at 3:15 AM
    If its the flu dont bother calling doctor back.

Nothing they can do about it.

Motrin and tyonel.

Lukewarm baths and humidifer
  • maryjmom
    January 11, 2013 at 3:16 AM

I always thought if your fever got that high, you needed the ER. Everything I've Googled said the same thing, especially for a child of DD's age.

Quoting Anonymous:

Youre doing fine. What can actually break a fever is a luke warm bath with vineger. My ds had a fever and a family member suggested it and his fever was down in a hour. I just got over the flu my fever sat between 101-103 for 48hrs.

• cjsix
    by cjsix
    January 11, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Her temp should be fine Momma,as long as she is comfortable etc...the fever is her body fighting what is making her sick.

• emptyreliquary
    January 11, 2013 at 3:18 AM

Its a safe temp as far as I know, I think the temperature actually helps fight off the bug. I would keep putting cool wet rags on her head though, thats a great way to help her from getting too hot. Also, i guess it depends on how old she is. The younger they are the more care about temperatures...

• maryjmom
    January 11, 2013 at 3:19 AM

I just don't want anything to happen to her. I always over react when she gets sick, and people always tell me to just calm down, but DD is my only child, and I would die if anything ever happened to her.

Quoting cjsix:

Her temp should be fine Momma,as long as she is comfortable etc...the fever is her body fighting what is making her sick.

Mom Confessions