Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
MyGirlsAbbyLiz
need help with potty training
January 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM
We just bought Abby big girl panties today and are going to start potty training tomorrow.

I get the basics and what not but how do you ladies deal with potty training when you go out with the kids? Do you keep them in underwear or do you put a diaper on them? I'm not sure what i should do.

Also how much underwear do you have for them? I don't know how many i should buy.

Replies

• Roxygurl
    January 10, 2013 at 9:39 AM
    I taught 2 year olds at a daycare for 10 years. This is how I do it.

First no pull ups or diapers. Straight panties but get the thick gerber panties, both Walmart and target sell them. They absorb a bit of the liquid so when she pees the mess won't be AS big.

Second have her sit on the potty every hour on the hour, set a timer.

When she pees make a HUGE deal of it. Sing a song. Take a picture. Let her call someone. Rewards are ok too. I used both candy and cookies and stickers

Look at the design on her panties and say it has Snow White on them. Say Snow White doesnt like to be peed on, lets keep her dry. when she does stay dry say yay! Snow White likes staying dry. When she pees on them say OHHH NOOOOO you peepeed on Snow White! She's so sad. Lets not pee on her again.

Have her help clean up after pee accidents (never poo) let her try to take her clothes off and put them in the washer and dryer and put them up.

One thing I've learned is for some kids transitioning to a big potty from a potty chair is hard and sets them back so I recommend going straight to a big potty, not even the inserts. Show them how to sit, and reassure them it's ok. The problem happens a few weeks into potty training when she's getting really good and you take her shopping with you and then she has to pee but is terrified of the potties in public restrooms and ends up peeing her pants.

The MOST important advice though is NEVER EVER EVER yell or punish her, it's a learning experience and there will be accidents. Just help her clean it up and move on. Punishing isn't helpful and usually backfires.
  • Roxygurl
    January 10, 2013 at 9:40 AM
    The gerber panties I mentioned come in packages of 3. I'd get at least 3 packages. If you throw away poopy underwear rather than dump and wash then if pick up at least 5 packages.

If you can wash often 2 packages are ok.
  • dawnnamarie
    January 10, 2013 at 9:46 AM
    Amen! Dd was terrified the first time she had to use a public potty. I showed her what it would sound like when it flushed first, so it didn't scare her as much when it auto flushed on her :):)

Quoting Roxygurl:

First no pull ups or diapers. Straight panties but get the thick gerber panties, both Walmart and target sell them. They absorb a bit of the liquid so when she pees the mess won't be AS big.

When she pees make a HUGE deal of it. Sing a song. Take a picture. Let her call someone. Rewards are ok too. I used both candy and cookies and stickers

Look at the design on her panties and say it has Snow White on them. Say Snow White doesnt like to be peed on, lets keep her dry. when she does stay dry say yay! Snow White likes staying dry. When she pees on them say OHHH NOOOOO you peepeed on Snow White! She's so sad. Lets not pee on her again.

Have her help clean up after pee accidents (never poo) let her try to take her clothes off and put them in the washer and dryer and put them up.

One thing I've learned is for some kids transitioning to a big potty from a potty chair is hard and sets them back so I recommend going straight to a big potty, not even the inserts. Show them how to sit, and reassure them it's ok. The problem happens a few weeks into potty training when she's getting really good and you take her shopping with you and then she has to pee but is terrified of the potties in public restrooms and ends up peeing her pants.

The MOST important advice though is NEVER EVER EVER yell or punish her, it's a learning experience and there will be accidents. Just help her clean it up and move on. Punishing isn't helpful and usually backfires.
  • Roxygurl
    January 10, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    I picked that one up when I became a nanny and a mommy. The family I'm with now I've been with 5.5 years and the oldest now 7 trained in a potty chair so the first time we went to target she screamed bloody murder and ended up peeing her pants. It was horrible so when her younger brother came around 3 years ago I vowed to not make that mistake. He was terrified of the big potty but I held his hands the first few times and reassured him and that was that.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Amen! Dd was terrified the first time she had to use a public potty. I showed her what it would sound like when it flushed first, so it didn't scare her as much when it auto flushed on her :):)

Quoting Roxygurl:

• dawnnamarie
    January 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    I understand how they feel! Im 26 and still dont like public bathrooms!!!! Lol

Quoting Roxygurl:

I picked that one up when I became a nanny and a mommy. The family I'm with now I've been with 5.5 years and the oldest now 7 trained in a potty chair so the first time we went to target she screamed bloody murder and ended up peeing her pants. It was horrible so when her younger brother came around 3 years ago I vowed to not make that mistake. He was terrified of the big potty but I held his hands the first few times and reassured him and that was that.

Quoting dawnnamarie:

Quoting Roxygurl:

• Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1
    January 10, 2013 at 10:08 AM

OP, do you find any of these suggestions helpful?

• gonecrazi
    January 10, 2013 at 10:11 AM

When I started potty training I bought about 10 pairs of underwear. I also used pull ups when we went out and for bed time.

• emandab
    by emandab
    January 10, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Both my dds were trained by their 2nd b-day.  At first we let them run through the house naked because undies confused them.  After a week or two we added the undies.  Still using diapers at night though until they got the hang of understanding the urge to pee and going on the potty.  Shortly after  we cut the diapers at night and woke them up to pee twice a night.  It was a pain, but I really think it helped their brains make the connection between having the urge to pee and actually getting up to go instead of peeing in their sleep.  They soon started getting themselves up at night to go or were able to hold it till morning.  But I definitely recommend, once you make the decision to stop using diapers, to ditch them and never go back and never use pull-ups.  

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts