Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
addiecakesmommy
Girls with boy names S/O
January 8, 2013 at 11:02 PM

My oldest daughter's name is Addison. Addison used to be a boy name and a lot of people(on CM) still consider it to be one. That being said, I've never met a little boy or a grown man with the name Addison. I've met a few other little girls with the name though. 

So tell me, does your little girl have a "boy" name? If so, how many boys do you actually know with that name? It can be the other way around too!

Replies

• IQuitCounting
    January 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM

My son's name is a boys name that I've been hearing used as a girls name more and more, Jude (although it's still pretty rare to hear at all even if it's well liked).

As for your daughters name, it's similar to my sons in that it's a boys name that has a very femine quality to it.  I hear it as a girls name, but our opinions on those things are all more modern so that's not surprising.

• Motherofdemonds
    January 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM
    My daughters name is Reggie.
  • Anonymous 56
    by Anonymous 56
    January 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM
    I'd never think of a girl reading that. Naming your child after a bear is about as masculine as it gets :)

Quoting Bre:

Iv been told the spelling of our sons name is the girls spelling but he goes by Kodi his full name is Kodiak. But many think he is a girl by just seeing his name.

• jessica31876
    January 9, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Actually Trace Adkins changed his name to Trace. His is also Tracy...my favorite singer and farrrr from femenine LOL

Quoting XoiyaCreations:

my husband's RN is Lynn but he goes by Alex.  And there is Tracy Byrd, Trace Atkins, and Tracy Lawrence (male country singers), and they don't seem to mind their names.

• cgarlic
    by cgarlic
    One of the mom's in my MOPS group has a DD named Micah.

Another lady has a DD named Carson

Quoting KnowItAll:

My daughter's name is Micah. I don't know of any other girls with that name.
  • a-SiZZLe
    Well... My name is Ashley which originally is a male name

My daughters name is Caiden
  • Karinmaximom
    January 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM

i am not sure what i think- my brother is almost 50 and his name is Karry- he is homosexual and i used to wonder if that was the reason.  my daughter is Kellie and that is a  unisex name as well but she is hetero. i guess i would be more worried about giving a boy a feminine name since boys are usually teased and bullied more.

• melanielmcgee
    January 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM
    my mother's name was Billie she was named after her dad. there are Billy's and Williams that go all the way back to 1745 in my family. just to be clear I think alexis is a girls name but in Greece it's a boy's name I suppose it depends on where you are.
  • JennPearce
    January 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    I have a son Julius & a daughter Lana. Never heard the opposite sex with either of their names.
  • Anonymous 57
    by Anonymous 57
    January 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM
    You're joking about the résumé thing, right? I actually am a businessperson and have been in the business of reviewing and discussing résumés. No one has ever been turned away because we could not tell if the name was male or female. For one, extracurricular activities on the résumé often give away gender. For another, it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of gender and thus should never be a factor in hiring. Any business who does so is doomed to fail.

I will say, however, that names that get negative attention during the hiring process are those with "kre8yv" spellings or which appear utterly unpronounceable. Although a good applicant with an unusual name with still get a callback, am odd or hard to pronounce name is an uphill battle they will forever fight [I say this as a successful person with a very odd name].

I totally get why someone would dislike unisex names—we all have our name preferences; but I would certainly hope the fallacy that one cannot be successful in business unless he has a hyper-masculine name is not one of them. That certainly wouldn't bode well for our daughters.

Quoting MichelleMc:

I made sure to name my son a name that is no way an either or name. I am NOT a fan of either or. I also don't like a name where I have to guess. Drives me up a wall. I used to tell the teachers when I helped. PLEASE put girls & boys on valentines lists or whats even the sense anymore. People can't tell because people seem to be in a contest to see who can come up with the strangest names. And then you have the, well is that a girl or a boy.

It is cool if you like it, but I wanted a name where there is no question for someone when looking at it. On his resume, etc. No question. Kids grow up, its hard for them while growing up & then as an adult if he wants to be a business man or whatever. He always says, Mom, so glad you gave me a normal name when he hears classmates with odd names LOL. His name is Jonathan.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN