Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Not_A_Native
S/O - Do you have a key to your parents house? Edit in blue
January 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I don't.  My parents are divorced, my mom has lived in the same apartment for 15 years (out of state).  My dad has lived in the same house for 22 years (out of state, a different one).  I didn't grow up in either house.

My husband does not have a key to his fathers house - it's the house he grew up in. Father in law has lived there for 55 years.  Locks have been changed since my husband left almost 30 years ago.

Boundries.  They're good.

I can understand those of you who have elderly parents living nearby.  But do you just "walk in?"  I know some of you already answered this.  I would never have dreamed of just "walking in" to my parents house after I moved out, even though I DID have a key (and lived nearby at the time).

And I have NEVER given a key to any place i"ve lived to my parents, my brother, anyone.  It's MY house.  This is my home.  My parents home (while they still had it) was the home I grew up in, not "mine" after I moved out.

Also, I'm now the mother of adult kids.  Two of them are totally on their own, and live in different states.  When they come home, we give them the code to get in.  But we change it from time to time.  Even when my daughter and her boyfriend only lived 15 minutes away, I "invited" them to dinner, and they would come in (after I insisted to her boyfriend it was ok).  But they didn't just "come by" (except when my daughter wrecked her car and didn't want to say anything over the phone).

Replies

• tennisgal
    January 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM

never. the doors are never locked. 

• myboysSMSB
    January 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM

yes to my dads house :)

• got2monsters
    January 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM
    yes, my parents have had to change the locks several times since i left six years ago, and my dad always has a key made for me every time, when i go over there if hes had to change the locks, he says "hey your new keys on the bar grab it before you leave" my response, "dang again haha". my brothers a thief so they change frequently to make sure he doesnt figure out a way in.
  • Mrs.Bryant1201
    January 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM
    Yes i have keys.
  • ambermarie2006
    January 8, 2013 at 9:42 PM
    Yes to my moms and grandparents houses. They have keys to mine as well, as do my sisters. We are a close family.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    We each have a key to my in-laws an I have a key to my grandparents.
    My in-laws live 3 doors up an when they go away we take care of their animals.
    My parents gave me a key because my dad works late an so does my mom sometimes, my brothers are only 12&14 an sometimes forget there key to house so if they forget at least they can call me to come unlock the house or if I pick them up to go out somewhere during day we can lock house up an unlock it when we get home.
  • Amari06
    by Amari06
    Yup
  • Dzyre1115
    My Mother lives here with us. My Father lives in horse country in Central Florida and has ten rescue dogs, I don't think his door even has a lock on it.
  • haydsmom2007

ya

• HaloWithHorns78
    Yes

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts