Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Dread being home alone with my 2 girls
by Anonymous
January 8, 2013 at 7:49 AM
I hate staying home with my kids , 4 and 2 , I love them , I want to see them happy all the time but I hate the screaming and shouting and arguing and squabbling toys all the time , I have a small house so we are stuck in the same room all together. I fell guilty when people make comments like, they are lovely , play with them or keep them busy or turn the TV on ,no big deal.but I don't enjoy it all the time .... Am I really a bad mother ?? Is it normal for toddlers and preschoolars to stay home all day without getting bored ?? Coz that never happens with me if I don't play with them it's shouting and screaming , I can't do anything for myself when they are awake .... I know they are a blessing but I'm tired, bored and in a bad mood all the time . And please save me the hard words ...

Replies

• starbuckmom03
    January 8, 2013 at 8:00 AM

Sounds like you need to get out of the house more. 

I get the arguing and screaming and squabbling over toys.  I have 3 boys who do this daily.  I have two 4yr olds who are still trying to negotiate playing and having their turn and verbalizing this with each other and older brother so I am usually in the midst of it all referining (sp) it all. 

Do you have a MOPs group near you?  MOPs ( link)is Mothers with Preschoolers.  My old group, which I might start back up this fall, met 2 times a month for 2 hours.  My kids were taken care of and I got to relax and talk with other mamas and have a snack and talk about so many things. Check the link I shared.  You can see if there is a MOPs near you.  The closest one for me is 15 mins away but so worth it!

What you are going through, we all go through it. 

Try this website, No time for flashcards, for some great ideas to do with your kids. 

Also, remember, its winter.  We all hate being cooped up in the house. Once its warm enough outside, I notice a huge difference in my kids.  They are so happy to be outside they forget to argue with each other!!  Its like the sunshine and warm breeze washes the stink off them and they are happy!

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 8, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    Sounds like my life
  • sheena696
    January 8, 2013 at 8:03 AM

You know, sometimes kids just are not fun. lol Mine are 7 years apart and they still fuss like you would not believe. They are lovely sweet little kids, but sometimes they make momma want to rip her hair out. lol Do you have anyone that would help you out and keep them so you can have a day to yourself?

• lilfishbigocean
    January 8, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Good advice, and awesome links!! Thanks!

Quoting starbuckmom03:

I get the arguing and screaming and squabbling over toys.  I have 3 boys who do this daily.  I have two 4yr olds who are still trying to negotiate playing and having their turn and verbalizing this with each other and older brother so I am usually in the midst of it all referining (sp) it all. 

Do you have a MOPs group near you?  MOPs ( link)is Mothers with Preschoolers.  My old group, which I might start back up this fall, met 2 times a month for 2 hours.  My kids were taken care of and I got to relax and talk with other mamas and have a snack and talk about so many things. Check the link I shared.  You can see if there is a MOPs near you.  The closest one for me is 15 mins away but so worth it!

Try this website, No time for flashcards, for some great ideas to do with your kids. 

Also, remember, its winter.  We all hate being cooped up in the house. Once its warm enough outside, I notice a huge difference in my kids.  They are so happy to be outside they forget to argue with each other!!  Its like the sunshine and warm breeze washes the stink off them and they are happy!

• SnapIt
    by SnapIt
    January 8, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    Winter is probably the worst because its so cold to go out and if you dont like the cold it makes it harder to make yourself
    Then to do anything inside cost money. Like a no win

Best thing to do for now is to get together with anoher mom with kids.
    This can get boring too, because those things turn out to be about the same subjects when you talk, but the kids are entertained for a couple of hrs. Or maybe the kids need a certain schedual.

You may be one of those moms who need to have outside contact. A part time job is a good idea. Or go back to work.
    There is nothing wrong with that. It means you are independant and like/need variety in your life. Kids will be kids and thats what they do. Its your surroundings, is what you may need to change up
  • starbuckmom03
    January 8, 2013 at 8:14 AM

You're welcome!

I know what its like to be in the OPs position.  Its not fun.  Thats why I found my MOPs group or well, they found me through my friend!  But its so worth getting out of the house and meeting with other moms who totally understand what you are going through.  To be able to vent or even getting a reasuring hug from time to time is huge!

Another poster mentioned getting someone to watch your dd's so you can have some time for yourself.  Please look into that!  Even 2 hours a week is big.  Time to wander around Target, or sit at a park and read a book, go get a coffee or soda or even have lunch by yourself <----- HUGE deal for me!!

OP:  Another thought.  Do you have any extra money to be used for childcare?  The reason I say this is there are programs called Parents day out or Moms day out.  Google those for your area.  I was able to put my oldest in a program, one day a week for 6 hours for, at the time, $20 a day.  I was able to go to dr appt, shop, clean my house, or just be refreshed and ready to go again and be a mom again when I picked up my ds.

Quoting lilfishbigocean:

Quoting starbuckmom03:

• atyou
    by atyou
    January 8, 2013 at 8:15 AM
    Hey!

I'm watching you. Nice mug.

Quoting lilfishbigocean:

Quoting starbuckmom03:

• ErikaRobin
    January 8, 2013 at 8:20 AM

You're not a bad mother. You just need a tool.  Get into Love and Logic to find a few great ways to put the kibosh on the fights.  Even at 4 and 2 they can learn to handle disagreements themselves. 

You don't have to put yourself into the role of referee to this stuff.  Seriously.  Love and Logic.  Look into it.  It saved my sanity with little squabblers.

• owl0210
    by owl0210
    January 8, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    This is why I work lol.
  • lauren.m
    January 8, 2013 at 8:24 AM
    It will get easier hang in there i have 4 within 4 years of eachother so i know where you are coming from

Mom Confessions