Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Proud black woman.....*ETA*
by Anonymous
January 7, 2013 at 6:29 PM
So we are in the store and my 3 year old is always asking "what's that?" He says it to people or toys....whatever.

There was a black lady beside us and my son said "what's that?" Apparently she was offended cause she looks at him and says "I am a proud black woman" I said that's nice and walked off

I mean he was three.....

***she wasn't nice when she said it and he meant to say who not what but that's just how he says it right now.

Replies

• ethans_momma06
    January 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM

*hands you golden star sticker*

Good for you. For completely ignoring information that contradicts what you'd like to believe, and for, like, having the most amazing kids EVAH!

Have a pat on the back too.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

I don't care what you pulled up! My children didn't call peoples "WHATS" at 3. Even my autistic child...  

Quoting ethans_momma06:

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

I would understand calling a person a "WHAT" at 1-2 but at 3. You need to educate him.. Seriously???????

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol he says it to white people too. My post doesn't say he says it to only blacks.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Umm.. I don't know why your child would even do that?

I have 3 little white boys but they didn't point out other people of race and ask "Whats that?"

I actually decided to look up the specifics of a childs language development, just for you. A child who just turned three will still fit into these areas (generally)

"A 3-year-old's vocabulary typically is 200 or more words, and many kids can string together 3 or 4 word sentences." Yep. Still at 4 word sentences, and in a vocabulary of 200 words, you can bet that "who" is not at the top of the list, and even if the kid KNEW it, it would be totally normal to confuse it with "what"

http://kidshealth.org/parent/growth/communication/comm_2_to_3.html#

2 1/2 Year Old:

• Expressive vocabulary of 500 words
    • Can ask simple questions (i.e. What’s that?)
    • Uses pronouns “I, me, my, you”
    • Understands concepts “in/on/under”, “big/little”

3 Years Old:

Beginning to ask questions (mostly “what” and “who”)

http://www.speechtreeidaho.com/typical-speech-and-language-development.html

So, yeah. Actually COMPLETELY normal for that age. Gosh darn typical some might say. So yeah. SERIOUSLY.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    AMEN!

Quoting D.O.E.:

yeah i agree. lets all be proud to be human.

Quoting Sparkey6987:

What's wrong with being proud? I think everyone should be proud of who they are. Not bashing, just disagreeing. :)

Quoting Anonymous:

how come black women do that anyway?

like when will you ever hear a white girl saying "i'm a PROUD white woman!"

it just sounds stupid.

like seriously. you are human, female, and bleed red. wtf else matters?

• livn4hevn
    January 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I have to ask... did you sit your child down and show them a flip book of different races and explain what skin color is, and what race/ethnicity each person was in the photos?

Why would you? Skin color doesn't MATTER to most of us. We don't see a person as black or chinese or indian or w/e... we see them as a person. So why would a mom, who thinks the same way, point out skin color as a defining characteristic so her 2 year old "understands"? Who would even think to DO that?!

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Maybe for a 1-2 yr old. But not for a 3 yr old.. Seriously? Whats that?

Quoting Sparkey6987:

Some kids do. My older son pointed at people a few times and said "what's that?". I'd just say "not what, who. That's a person. Why don't you say hi, and see what his/her name is?"...I only added the last part if the person heard him.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

I have 3 little white boys but they didn't point out other people of race and ask "Whats that?"

• ethans_momma06
    January 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Quoting Beth3721:

I wonder what would happen if I shouted out "I'm a proud white woman!" in a store sometime

Oooo! That actually might be sort of fun!

• tastelikeyum
    January 7, 2013 at 8:15 PM
    Try it and let me know how that goes. LMAO!!

Quoting Beth3721:

I wonder what would happen if I shouted out "I'm a proud white woman!" in a store sometime

• Grumpylilpixy
    January 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Why would the child call a PERSON that looks just like them but a different COLOR a what?

I have a full WHITE family.. We do have a AA in our family NOW but he wasn't around when my 2 oldest were 2-3 and even though they were not around nothing but WHITE. They NEVER called another HUMAN being a WHAT.... Really.. I don't even recall having this conversation with my children because WE NEVER MADE IT A POINT TO SEPERATE WHITE FROM BLACK!

I would have been offended and she obviously was by saying " A PROUD BLACK WOMAN". Hence she is proud the be black.

Quoting livn4hevn:

I have to ask... did you sit your child down and show them a flip book of different races and explain what skin color is, and what race/ethnicity each person was in the photos?

Why would you? Skin color doesn't MATTER to most of us. We don't see a person as black or chinese or indian or w/e... we see them as a person. So why would a mom, who thinks the same way, point out skin color as a defining characteristic so her 2 year old "understands"? Who would even think to DO that?!

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Quoting Sparkey6987:

Some kids do. My older son pointed at people a few times and said "what's that?". I'd just say "not what, who. That's a person. Why don't you say hi, and see what his/her name is?"...I only added the last part if the person heard him.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

• livn4hevn
    January 7, 2013 at 8:26 PM

because "what" is easier to pronounce than "who". And a three year old is curious about everything, and every one, and really only wants their mom to explain SOMETHING about that person. Doubt the kid was even asking about skin color. Maybe it was her shirt design, or her earrings, or her shoes...they want to know. "What" doesn't mean "wow she looks like an alien- please explain". It can mean a plethera of things.....why assume immediately that the child was referring to her skin color?

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Why would the child call a PERSON that looks just like them but a different COLOR a what?

I have a full WHITE family.. We do have a AA in our family NOW but he wasn't around when my 2 oldest were 2-3 and even though they were not around nothing but WHITE. They NEVER called another HUMAN being a WHAT.... Really.. I don't even recall having this conversation with my children because WE NEVER MADE IT A POINT TO SEPERATE WHITE FROM BLACK!

I would have been offended and she obviously was by saying " A PROUD BLACK WOMAN". Hence she is proud the be black.

Quoting livn4hevn:

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Quoting Sparkey6987:

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

• Grumpylilpixy
    January 7, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Try to break it down and excuse as you want. She was offended and the child SHOULD have been corrected RIGHT in front of her.

Im sorry but I would be offended and she was. And she has every RIGHT to be offended.

Quoting livn4hevn:

because "what" is easier to pronounce than "who". And a three year old is curious about everything, and every one, and really only wants their mom to explain SOMETHING about that person. Doubt the kid was even asking about skin color. Maybe it was her shirt design, or her earrings, or her shoes...they want to know. "What" doesn't mean "wow she looks like an alien- please explain". It can mean a plethera of things.....why assume immediately that the child was referring to her skin color?

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Quoting livn4hevn:

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Quoting Sparkey6987:

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

• hismommy2010
    January 7, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Typically 3 years old don't understand "pride" or "proud"... So her reply was more then likely meant for the mother. True pride is something that can be seen with out having to announce it.

Quoting tastelikeyum:

Really? How do you know she is not proud? What's wrong with having pride with ones self?

Quoting hismommy2010:

What the child did/asked wasn't rude, nor was it the childs intent to be rude. If he were older, and understood - then I would say the child may have meant to be rude. For the woman to reply 'proud black woman', isn't exactly rude in it's self. If she said it with a mean/rude tone, then yes - that was rude. The child would see her reply as directed towards him, even if in her mind she meant it towards the mother.

On the other hand, I feel if any person is truly 'proud' of them self, they don't go around announcing it, announcing it is over compensating to make others believe that you are something you truly aren't, while trying to convince your self of the same.

Quoting Pooobaihr:

It is rude. It isn't intentionally rude, but it is rude and shouldn't be overlooked because he is 3. Correct him, apologize and move on.

Quoting ethans_momma06:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Darlin, he was incredibly rude. If a three year old said what is that about me I'd be livid. People are not things. You need to break him of that immediately. "He is three" is not an excuse. Start correcting him. And you should've been correcting him.

Riiiiiight.

Because three year olds totally get that calling someone a what is incorrect. Dude. Their vocabulary is limited as it is. If you get livid over that small thing... lord. You must go around being angry all the time.

It's hardly RUDE. It may not have been correct, it may have been awkward for the parent, but it sure as heck wasn't "rude".

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 7, 2013 at 8:32 PM

kids say the darndest things!

Walking though a store one day there was a VERY large woman riding one of the go cart thingies and my kid (3) looks over and goes "Mom, that's a REALLY big human!" and my response? "Yes son, yes it is." and just went about our business LOL

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts