Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Proud black woman.....*ETA*
by Anonymous
January 7, 2013 at 6:29 PM
So we are in the store and my 3 year old is always asking "what's that?" He says it to people or toys....whatever.

There was a black lady beside us and my son said "what's that?" Apparently she was offended cause she looks at him and says "I am a proud black woman" I said that's nice and walked off

I mean he was three.....

***she wasn't nice when she said it and he meant to say who not what but that's just how he says it right now.

Replies

• tastelikeyum
    January 7, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    That's what OP should have done.

Quoting Sparkey6987:

Some kids do. My older son pointed at people a few times and said "what's that?". I'd just say "not what, who. That's a person. Why don't you say hi, and see what his/her name is?"...I only added the last part if the person heard him.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Umm.. I don't know why your child would even do that?

I have 3 little white boys but they didn't point out other people of race and ask "Whats that?"

• Sparkey6987
    January 7, 2013 at 7:29 PM
    Well, while I don't even see why this story is post-worthy to begin with, sometimes in a situation like that you get flustered. I can see where maybe she didn't know what to say/how to react. But I'm missing the part where proud black woman is offensive.

Quoting tastelikeyum:

That's what OP should have done.

Quoting Sparkey6987:

Some kids do. My older son pointed at people a few times and said "what's that?". I'd just say "not what, who. That's a person. Why don't you say hi, and see what his/her name is?"...I only added the last part if the person heard him.

Quoting Grumpylilpixy:

Umm.. I don't know why your child would even do that?

I have 3 little white boys but they didn't point out other people of race and ask "Whats that?"

• Anonymous 11
    by Anonymous 11
    January 7, 2013 at 7:30 PM
    Haha! I just explained to her that Santa can be any color in the world, even polka dotted, because he lives in each person's heart.

Quoting MaMa_Te3:

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter about got my ass beat at Burlington. She went off because the life sized santa clause was black. "Mom!! Why is this santa black? Santa isn't BLAAACK!!" lol. I have NEVER been so embarrassed in my life, nor have I ever been given such a look of death as from the black lady standing about 3 feet away. 

My daughter did the same thing the xmas before last with the black santa at the mall, and she's half black lol. She had the nerve to have a little attitude about it too. Definitely received some crazy looks from people for that one lol.

• Anonymous 19
    by Anonymous 19
    January 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM
    He should have spoke in a language she understood. He should have asked,'who dat?'
  • Pooobaihr
    January 7, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I don't think its horrendous at all. I think its a typical response a 3yr old would make, yet I feel it is still rude. Yes, he don't mean to be rude, as I said. He is still learning how to ask questions and such, but this is where you begin to teach them that you don't say it that way, you say it this way.  So I agree with you on everything, however, I'm looking at it from the other woman's point of view.  For all anyone knows, she may be a woman who has never been around children and never been through that stage of learning. It happens.  I don't think the lady was rude in how she responded, but she probably did sound firm in her reply, which often comes off as rude.

Quoting ethans_momma06:

If it had been any child with the understanding of the difference between the terms "Who" and "What"- I'd agree.

However, this is a 3 year old. As much as a person is a "who"- they are also a "what". I can understand a person feeling uncomfortable hearing themselves addressed that way (because we as adults carry a lot of unneccesarry baggage and tend to read into shit), but it's not rude. The kid doesn't understand that there is a difference. They simply don't grasp the concept.

I'm not suggesting it should be overlooked, or not corrected. Yes. He should learn. Yes, the mother should correct him, so that he can learn and understand the differences and appropriate term. But all the women getting their panties in a bunch over it? Please.

Yes, the mother should be understanding of the other womans response. She should get why it's awkward, because SHE'S an adult. But let's stop acting like this was SUCH a horrendous faux pas.

Quoting Pooobaihr:

It is rude. It isn't intentionally rude, but it is rude and shouldn't be overlooked because he is 3. Correct him, apologize and move on.

Quoting ethans_momma06:

Quoting lnrmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Darlin, he was incredibly rude. If a three year old said what is that about me I'd be livid. People are not things. You need to break him of that immediately. "He is three" is not an excuse. Start correcting him. And you should've been correcting him.

Riiiiiight.

Because three year olds totally get that calling someone a what is incorrect. Dude. Their vocabulary is limited as it is. If you get livid over that small thing... lord. You must go around being angry all the time.

It's hardly RUDE. It may not have been correct, it may have been awkward for the parent, but it sure as heck wasn't "rude".

• OneToughMami
    January 7, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Well, I think he is old enough to learn that what is for things and who is for people.

• SadeAyosmom
    January 7, 2013 at 7:33 PM

i like the answer :)

• gcsadie
    by gcsadie
    January 7, 2013 at 7:34 PM

My daughter did something similar. I took my mother to her doctor appointment out of town and there was a really big obese man sitting in the waiting room. My daughter was three at the time and she said pretty loudy "Mommy does that man have a big belly???" I was sort of embarassed because he heard her but he was not offended because he knew she didn't know better or understand. I still felt so horrible!

• gcsadie
    by gcsadie
    January 7, 2013 at 7:34 PM

why*

• Paranoai
    January 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM

LMAO!! that's awesome

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts