Mom Confessions

Anonymous
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
by Anonymous
January 5, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Hello everyone :)

I'm going anon, bc I'm embarrassed that I don't have more to say for myself (Although one day I will)

I'm 22 and pregnant with my first baby. I am a high school graduate, but have not attended college yet. I come from a crazy home life, I know that's not an excuse but life has been rough for me these last few years since graduation. 

Now, I have my own apt in my name, living with my long time boyfriend, my own car, and a full time job. I keep thinking about the future a lot. How am I gonna work, go to school, and handle a newborn? 

I KNOW it will be hard, but I'm not giving up on getting my schooling done. 

So my question is, what are some good career choices? I was thinking about going to become an LVN. That's 1.5 years of school. I would do that at Galen, which is a school that only does nursing programs. Then after that, I could become an RN.... However, it's a trade school. So I wouldn't feel like that's sufficent. Going to a regular college would make this process SO much longer, as I'd have to get my basics done and that'll take a couple years alone. 

I want to provide my future child with the best possible life I can. Not having a degree and a career is not an option for me. I'd feel like a failure. 

What would you suggest? What would you do? WHAT ADVICE CAN YOU OFFER A FIRST TIME MOTHER? 

WHAT ARE SOME LEGITAMATE QUICK CAREER CHOICES?

My head is spinning here, I'm sorry this post is all over the place. 

Replies

• angevil53
    January 5, 2013 at 5:32 PM
    Ultrasound tech radiology tech lpn rn are higher paying quicker school jobs. Don't settle for a certificate for anything. Get the degree.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 5, 2013 at 5:33 PM
    You could get a CNA and get hired at a nursing home and work towards your rn. I know some nursing homes offer to pay for school to get a person to the rn level.
  • mommybecky
    January 5, 2013 at 5:35 PM
    I wouldn't go for an LVN or LPN. Too much school without enough money.

Radiology tech is a good choice. It's usually 2 years and then you can OJT to further your career and specialize. The pay is better than LPN, too.

I'm am X-ray tech, and I have a double registry in mammography.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    January 5, 2013 at 5:35 PM

THANK YOU. THOSE ARE GREAT SUGGESTIONS!

Quoting angevil53:

Ultrasound tech radiology tech lpn rn are higher paying quicker school jobs. Don't settle for a certificate for anything. Get the degree.

• Anonymous
    January 5, 2013 at 5:36 PM

To become a radiology tech, I'd have to complete my basics at a community college, and that alone will take me 2 years at the least :/ 

Quoting mommybecky:

Radiology tech is a good choice. It's usually 2 years and then you can OJT to further your career and specialize. The pay is better than LPN, too.

• thecoffeefairy
    January 5, 2013 at 5:38 PM
    My daughter is planning on becoming a pharmacy tech. It pays 10-11 hourly in ok. Then she will earn her way up to a pharmacist while working.
  • Anonymous
    January 5, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I make 10$ an hour working at a call center right now. It's not enough for me to raise a child on. I thought pharmacy techs got paid wayyyy more than that. 

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

My daughter is planning on becoming a pharmacy tech. It pays 10-11 hourly in ok. Then she will earn her way up to a pharmacist while working.

• thecoffeefairy
    January 5, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    Not in Oklahoma. The cost of living is low but so is pay. I think most people make around 7-8 at call centers here.

Quoting Anonymous:

I make 10$ an hour working at a call center right now. It's not enough for me to raise a child on. I thought pharmacy techs got paid wayyyy more than that. 

Quoting thecoffeefairy:

• mommybecky
    January 5, 2013 at 5:45 PM
    Research more schools. There are hospital programs that don't require prerequisites. They prefer them, but they aren't required.

Quoting Anonymous:

To become a radiology tech, I'd have to complete my basics at a community college, and that alone will take me 2 years at the least :/ 

Quoting mommybecky:

• Anonymous
    January 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM

BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP

Mom Confessions