Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
18 Kids dead this year from the Flu
by Anonymous
January 5, 2013 at 4:11 PM

January 4, 2013 7:21 PM

Centers for Disease Control: High level of flu reports in 29 states

(CBS News) The flu started early and the virus is spreading rapidly. In an update Friday, the Centers for Disease Control reports a high level of flu activity in 29 states and a moderate level in nine others. Health officials say it's not too late to get vaccinated. We look at who should get the flu shot.

Seventeen-year-old Max Schwolert came down with the flu. Later, he took a turn for the worse and was soon airlifted to a Minnesota hospital.

"It was really just a snowball effect over several days," said Phil Schwolert, Max's uncle. "Doctors made a few brief periods of some progress but just were never really able to get ahead of things and his body honestly just couldn't keep up."

The flu virus can weaken a person's natural defenses. Max, who did not get a flu shot, developed a bacterial infection and pneumonia. It caused his organs to shut down. He died on Dec. 29.

"Influenza causes death often through its complications, said Lyn Finelli, who tracks flu for the CDC. "Especially in the elderly, influenza causes death through pneumonia and through exacerbation of chronic underlying conditions."

Scientists use weather to forecast flu season

Eighteen children have died from influenza-related illnesses since the flu season began.

"It's an extremely early flu season," said Finelli. "In fact, we're about five weeks ahead of schedule this year."

Since 2010, the CDC has recommended flu shots for everyone over the age of six months. Yet only 37 percent of Americans have been vaccinated this season, which is about average.

I asked the CDC what is the number one misconception that people have about the flu. They said it's the mistaken belief that the flu vaccine can give you the flu. The CDC said it cannot -- it can give you a reaction, you might have some aches and pains and low-grade fever, but that should go away in a day or two. They said it's especially important this year when it's such an active flue to get vaccinated -- they said it's the number one way to prevent the flu.

Please bump for all to read.  Thanks! :)

Replies

• Nathans_mom0612
    January 6, 2013 at 3:42 PM
    Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

Thats so funny...so was i. When were yours born. Mine were born may of 2009.
  • Bonita131
    January 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Thanks to the anti vaccine nut bars, children are dead for no reason.

• 428pm
    by 428pm
    January 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I missed the flu vac this year. my son and I, they wouldn't give it to us because we were both fighting am upper respitory infection :(

I am a bit worried, my sister had a preemie baby this october and I have been his babysitter.

• KYLIEAARONMOMMY
    January 6, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    They were due in Jan 2010, but they were born by emergency csection Dec 4th 09.

Quoting Nathans_mom0612:

Quoting KYLIEAARONMOMMY:

Thats so funny...so was i. When were yours born. Mine were born may of 2009.
  • melakay1981
    January 6, 2013 at 4:41 PM

My daughter is on Chemotherapy so we have to have the flu shot.  We always got it anyhow so not much of a change for us.

• Phoebe-81
    January 6, 2013 at 4:54 PM
    This.

Quoting Anonymous:

The number one ways to prevent the flu is to avoid people with the flu, wash hands frequently, and sanitize common environmental carriers of viruses and bacteria ( door knobs, railings, light switches...etc).

• DDDaysh
    by DDDaysh
    January 6, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I got me and DS vaxed this fall.  DS has always had his shot because of his Asthma, but this is only the second year I got mine.  I always figured since I had never really gotten Flu there was no point, but then again, there was really no point to NOT getting the shot either.  

• DDDaysh
    by DDDaysh
    January 6, 2013 at 5:05 PM

But they've all done their "research" and don't want their kids to get autism.  After all Jenny McCarthy said so!  

Quoting Bonita131:

Thanks to the anti vaccine nut bars, children are dead for no reason.

• lancet98
    January 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM

I get the flu vac every year.   My friend almost died from it despite living very healthy and using all sorts of natural remedies, washing his hands, all that stuff.  He has permanent neurological and cardiovascular damage.   Lots and lots and lots of unvaccinated people die from flu every year - I think it's at least a half a million annually worldwide.

• jesusismyfriend
    January 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM
    I must say I agree. I have never had a flu shot and have never had the fly and I do all of the above.

Quoting Anonymous:

The number one ways to prevent the flu is to avoid people with the flu, wash hands frequently, and sanitize common environmental carriers of viruses and bacteria ( door knobs, railings, light switches...etc).

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts