Mom Confessions

Anonymous
Home owners- how much did you buy your house for?
by Anonymous
January 4, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Mine was $199,900

It's 1800sq ft. With 4 bedrooms 2 bathrooms and 1 acre.

Replies

• Alliemad_3
    January 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM

2700sf 4 bed, 2.5 bath
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM

We spent $125,000 on a 3 bed, 2 bath with 1839 square feet. We bought our house before we had kids, and found out recently that the elementary school our son would go to in two years is not very desirable. So we are currently doing a little bit of work around here, mostly just a little updating and then we are going to sell and move into a better district. We are looking to put our house on the market by the end of April of this year.

• fairy_fan
    January 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

$100K 1500sq ft, 3 bedrooms, 2 bath, living room, dining room, 2 car garage, front covered porch that runs the length of the house, patio off the dining room, patio off the master bedroom, huge shed/barn in the 1/2 acre backyard with a separate concrete driveway leading to it.  

• Ms.KitKat
    January 4, 2013 at 5:31 PM

My dh loves looking at these records. he likes to know that our house is similarly assesed and our tax rate is similar to our neighbors. Once, he saw that we were at a higher tax rate than a neighbor of a similar house as ours and he appealed to the town- our property taxes were reduced. It's also good to know that our home is not the cheapest or most expensive home in the neighborhood. DH plans his home improvement projects to maintain our home so it is equally valued as similar homes.  It is also an indication of the "health" of the area, if market value of homes decrease, increase or stay the same.

Quoting furbabymum:

K but why would you CARE and why would you SHARE?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

It's public record. Anyone can do a search of homes, what the assessed value is, tax rate, etc.... 

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting Anonymous:

It's all about the "I have more than you do" sort of post I suppose. 

Quoting furbabymum:

Why would anyone share this?

They day I care what Joe Blow on CM spent on their house and how large it is is the day I blow my brains out.

Plus, I would just never tell anyone what I spent on my house. It's really no one's business.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM

We live about 40 minutes north of New Orleans and about 50 minutes east of Baton Rouge in Madisonville, LA.  We paid $260,000 for new construction 4 Bedrooms/3 Full Baths, 2600 sf living, huge yard with a beautiful 200 year old oak tree in the back, and the best part is a HUGE to die for kitchen.  We built it 8 months ago and have been enjoying it to the fullest!

• furbabymum
    January 4, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Yes but what is the chance you live next to one of these women announcing their house size and price?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

My dh loves looking at these records. he likes to know that our house is similarly assesed and our tax rate is similar to our neighbors. Once, he saw that we were at a higher tax rate than a neighbor of a similar house as ours and he appealed to the town- our property taxes were reduced. It's also good to know that our home is not the cheapest or most expensive home in the neighborhood. DH plans his home improvement projects to maintain our home so it is equally valued as similar homes.  It is also an indication of the "health" of the area, if market value of homes decrease, increase or stay the same.

Quoting furbabymum:

K but why would you CARE and why would you SHARE?

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

It's public record. Anyone can do a search of homes, what the assessed value is, tax rate, etc.... 

Quoting furbabymum:

Quoting Anonymous:

It's all about the "I have more than you do" sort of post I suppose. 

Quoting furbabymum:

Why would anyone share this?

They day I care what Joe Blow on CM spent on their house and how large it is is the day I blow my brains out.

Plus, I would just never tell anyone what I spent on my house. It's really no one's business.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM

How come you were trying to sell it last year?

Quoting Anonymous:

$1.06 million. 5 bedrooms, 4 baths 2 acres on Daniel Island, SC

• chattycassie
    January 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM

That sounds like an awesome place. Make sure you post pictures before and after so we can see how hard you worked.

Quoting MrsRi:

Yep, it's a TON of work, we plan on being finished by the end of this year or middle of next though.  We've had a lot of friends helping us with the clean out, we have a great contracting company that will do the stuff we can't and we're excited to kinda build it the way we want.  We're restoring some of the original pieces, re-exposing all the amazing brink work and moldings and fireplaces.  There's an amazing spiral staircase that was blocked off from the kitchen up to the back second floor and we're going to re-open it and make a lounge/loft area over the kitchen.  It looks super rough now, but... My other family members house next door was similar to that when she bought it and it took her about three years and now her house is fantastic.  So we can't wait.

Quoting chattycassie:

My mom bought a house like that in SD that was renovated into seperate appartments it was a LOT of work but worth the low asking price she paid.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I should also add that we live in a very prominent area with top notch schools, wealthy families, and million dollar homes.  My house is worth about $400k.  I just happened to get a steal on it.

Quoting Anonymous:

We live about 40 minutes north of New Orleans and about 50 minutes east of Baton Rouge in Madisonville, LA.  We paid $260,000 for new construction 4 Bedrooms/3 Full Baths, 2600 sf living, huge yard with a beautiful 200 year old oak tree in the back, and the best part is a HUGE to die for kitchen.  We built it 8 months ago and have been enjoying it to the fullest!

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Mom Confessions