Mom Confessions

Mommynwife26
My walmart story! INSANE! Food stamps related.
January 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM

So I read walmart stories or stories about people saying something about food stamps to someone. I was on food stamps when I was a single parent, for about 2yrs and never had anyone say anything to me BUT I am not on them anymore, my dh makes enough where we don't need any PA or I wouldn't be staying home.

Anyways, today I went shopping and got $200 worth of groceries, my cart was completely full. I start unloading the cart and a lady with a teenage daughter comes behind me and scoffs "of course I get stuck behind someone with a lot of groceries" I don't say anything and keep unloading. I'm unloaded and talking to the cashier, mostly about my DD and how nice it is that my other 2 went back to school today and how I am a SAHM so going grocery shopping at 8am is so much easier than waiting for my DH to come home at 6pm. The lady behind me starts talking about food stamps and how she pays her taxes so young women can sit at home and do shit while using the government. Shes RANTING about this to her daughter and she keeps getting louder then starts shooting me dirty looks and at this point I realize she is talking about ME. This goes on for the whole time I am checking out and getting my groceries in the cart. Finally I am on the last few things and she says something about young teens using the system and the cashier gives me a look and I roll my eyes (I know wrong move but I didn't intentionally do it either) the lady behind me sees and FLIPS out! She's in my face screaming at me how I should be grateful and be on my knees thanking her for paying my way in life. The manager at this point comes up and asks if everything is ok. I tell him everything is fine (the lady stopped screaming though she was still standing really close), the cashier tells me my total which enrages the lady again and she goes "oh my god seriously people should stop having kids or get a fucking job". I pull out my debit card and hold it where she can see it and say "I am gonna pay with my debit card is that ok with you?" The ladys face turns BEAT red and she backs up. I pay and turn to her and tell her that "I am not a teen I am 26, I have 3 kids and am blessed to have a husband with a job to allow me to stay home without being on public assistance, but I don't think anyone who needs it should be ashamed and no one should ever make them feel ashamed either." She starts to apologize and I tell her don't, the only one she should apologize to is her daughter for being such an embarassment. I then handed her my therapist card (my dh and I are in marriage counseling to work on communication) and tell her she needs to get her anger under control and to have a great day. Then left.

I am SO surprised I kept my cool cause I really wanted to hit this lady and I have a temper problem but I knew if I got upset it would have ended worse at even while she is screaming at my my DD who's 2 was still calm and I didn't want to upset her. But you hear these stories and they seem so...untrue till it happens to you!

Replies

• Proud-mama-05
    January 3, 2013 at 1:52 PM
    Wow that's rude and completely uncalled for even if you were paying with F. Its none of her business smh
  • LilliesValley
    January 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Oh my god! Great job! How can anyone just stand there and assume because someone is A) buying a lot of groceries, and B) a stay at home mom that they are on PA. I know some people use and abuse the system, but not everyone does. I have done a lot of cashiering in my time and know that some people are VERY responsible with it and some people aren't, that's just how people are. I'm with you it's sometimes hard to keep a temper under control especially when people are this stupid but God you handled it GREAT! KUDOS to you!

• LoriLou75
    January 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM

What an asshole. 

• wkukid
    by wkukid
    January 3, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Wow psycho.

• chrtymcdnl
    January 3, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Unbelievable 

• AubreeGrace17
    January 3, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I wish this was a troll post.

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I've heard people make comments(a couple times) about me and welfare or food stamops when I get a lot of groceries. I think it's because I look so young and have a 3 year old. I'm actually 29 and not on any kind of pa.

• Mommynwife26
    January 3, 2013 at 2:03 PM

It was HARD and I was shaking by the time I got the car cause I seriously wanted to punch her. But it's not the way to handle things and especially not in front of kids for sure. I think not saying anything to her though made it worse. I was never ashamed to be on food stamps but I never used the system. It helped me out a lot when needed. My husband isn't gonna believe it when I tell him lol.

Quoting LilliesValley:

Oh my god! Great job! How can anyone just stand there and assume because someone is A) buying a lot of groceries, and B) a stay at home mom that they are on PA. I know some people use and abuse the system, but not everyone does. I have done a lot of cashiering in my time and know that some people are VERY responsible with it and some people aren't, that's just how people are. I'm with you it's sometimes hard to keep a temper under control especially when people are this stupid but God you handled it GREAT! KUDOS to you!

• Mommynwife26
    January 3, 2013 at 2:04 PM

omg you have NO idea how I read the stories and think there is NO way that happens but today I was proven wrong. It's so sad, I felt horrible for her daughter cause she looked so embarrased and like she wanted to run away.

Quoting AubreeGrace17:

I wish this was a troll post.

• audreesmama
    January 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM

WTF.

Mom Confessions