Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
Would you let your teen?
by Anonymous
January 3, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Would you let your teen read any of elen hopkins's books? If so about what age would you let them?

Replies

• mary841108
    January 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I've never heard of her books, depends on what they are about. I am a certified book worm lol i love to read and I am instilling that into my children as well

• AdensMommy1107
    January 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    I read them. My mother tried really hard to censor what I read. I'd just go to the library. Burned made me go o.O though, that book was intense. Crank too
  • polyhymia
    January 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Thats about all they teach here. My highschool had a vocational school program that included nursing classes and they got pretty graphic, but not everyone took those( especially those who needed that kind of dose of reality). That is what I love about books in general though. They are relatable to those who read them and can teach whatever lesson the reader needs from it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yea I agree first with them being beautifully written then with them teaching eps hat most don't want to talk about. I was like that no one ever explained to me about drugs and just how damaging they can be. I only got the elementary school drugs are bad end of story thing

Quoting polyhymia:

I loved how they were written, a lot different than most books. I have only read crank :( still in search of the others haha. My area is very "small town". No one wants to talk about anything unpleasant so these books, I think, are great for the teens here. So many get into trouble and parents just don't know how to talk about it or how to bring it up in the first place.

Quoting Anonymous:

I read most of those books in high school and thought they were amazing. It taught me a lot about drugs that no one else thought to talk to me about

Quoting polyhymia:

I tried to read them in highschool, but they were never available. I did manage to find one at the public library after I graduated. Yes I would let my ds, when he is a teen. Probably at what ever age he shows interest in it. I think it would provide a wonderful oppurtunity for a conversation, which is why I would probably never say he cannot read a certain book 
    (unless it's really about an age issue, I would not let him read,say, 50 shades as a young teen haha) 

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    January 3, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Ok but where is the dark skinned people are bad thing?

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

I read the books. It is all there.  The Vultori's desire to destroy the Cullen clan?  How Jasper talks about the evil vampires that turned him?   Also, they are not a love story. At best they are a cautionary tale about how abuse and dependancy will take you away from your loved ones and make you something dangerous.  Stephanie Meyers is a reckless moron that is selling the fantasy that It is not love unless it is obsession.  And if I am reading too much into these books, so are a whole lot of other people, because I am not the only one thart caught this stuff. Not even by a mile.

Quoting Anonymous:

Ummm I think you read way too much into those books. First of all reading Harry potter in elementary and middle school I only thought they were cool stories that were extremely long and hard to read. Twilight I just thought it was a cute story about true love. I have no idea where you are getting dark skinned people are bad Catholics destroying Mormons?

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Twilight is nothing like Harry Potter.  Harry Potter was a brilliant series that taught children all sorts of valuable lessons, and turned their brains on. There were parrallels to Nazi Germany, and how standing by when bad things happen is just as bad as doing the bad things yourself.  Twilight is about how you need a boy to be of any sort of value.  Oh, and that dark skinned people are bad and the Catholic church are all evil bastards intent on destroying Mormons.

Quoting Anonymous:

Twilight was interesting sorta not really different from like Harry potter except a little easier to read

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Any book is beneficial.  Well, except those Twilight books and the boring sex knock offs of it.

Quoting Anonymous:

But do you think those book would be beneficial?

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Depends on my child's maturity level.  

• Anonymous
    January 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM

They are all very intense and are supposed to make you see the dangers in drugs and abuse

Quoting AdensMommy1107:

I read them. My mother tried really hard to censor what I read. I'd just go to the library. Burned made me go o.O though, that book was intense. Crank too

• AdensMommy1107
    January 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    Oh definitely! After reading Crank and Glass I NEVER wanted to touch/be around hard drugs

Quoting Anonymous:

They are all very intense and are supposed to make you see the dangers in drugs and abuse

Quoting AdensMommy1107:

• Anonymous
    January 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Yea me either

Quoting AdensMommy1107:

Oh definitely! After reading Crank and Glass I NEVER wanted to touch/be around hard drugs

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AdensMommy1107:

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts