Mom Confessions

Anonymous
220lbs! I have a question!
by Anonymous
January 3, 2013 at 9:23 AM
I am embarrassed to admit that in the last 2 months I have gained 20 pounds. My knees are in absolute agony I now weigh 220 pounds the most I have ever weighed and it's really taking a toll on my body especially my knees. Every time I stand up my knees are screaming in pain, I fully intend to lose this weight and have already started my lifestyle change.

My question is did I do any permanent damage to my knees? Are they just in pain from the weight will it go away once the weight is off? Do I need to see my dr?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• MrsCountryMama
    January 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM
    It's always good to see your Dr before starting any new exercise routines but try drinking lots of water take a multivitamin and ease into exercising. I would see if losing weight makes your knees feel better if not see your Doctor.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    January 3, 2013 at 9:30 AM
    Bump
  • hopeym23
    J3
    January 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM

It may just be the extra weight but if you don't lose the weight you will do permanent damage.  I just joined weight watchers to lose about 50 pounds from having three kids and I lost 5 pounds already!  Good luck.

• mspecan_tan
    January 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    I agree with this....weightloss starts in the kitchen, so manage your diet first then ease into exercise.

Quoting MrsCountryMama:

It's always good to see your Dr before starting any new exercise routines but try drinking lots of water take a multivitamin and ease into exercising. I would see if losing weight makes your knees feel better if not see your Doctor.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM
    Lose weight and your knees will feel better
  • notjstasocermom
    January 3, 2013 at 9:37 AM

No idea, since I've weighed that much. Maybe ask your dr. good luck.

• Jessica_Esqueda
    January 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM

I'm a big girl, but I've never had this problem, so I can't say for sure. I would recommend talking to your doctor prior to starting an exercise routine, especially since you are having knee pain. In the meantime, diet and control your calorie intake. Check out MyFitnessPal.com 

• sarahjoy
    January 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I was about 250 ... and my body really was suffering for it... my feet hurt mostly alot... my back, my knees.  I lost about 70 lbs in 9 months... and my body feels so much better.  everything... it hurt alot at first but gradually I worked at it and now can run a mile with out dying lol (i have asthma so the breathing kills me more than my body now).  you will feel alot better after loosing the weight.  I was a 22/24 in size and now down to a 14/16.  Just stick to it and dont  "slack off" because that makes it harder.  Your body will thank you later down the road :)... i would still see a dr. just to make sure you havent put too much damage on your knees and maybe they can suggest what to do physically to help rather than make it worse.  

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous - Original Poster
    January 3, 2013 at 10:02 AM
    Bump
  • xomrs.chase
    January 3, 2013 at 10:04 AM
    Every pound is 4lbs of pressure on your knees. At my heaviest- my injury was much worse. Now that I've lost weight it only hurts if I overdo it or when it rains/ snows

Mom Confessions