Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Angelicembrace
Is 5 years old too young..
January 3, 2013 at 7:55 AM

To wash the dishes as a chore? Excluding big dishes and knives. I wanted to start really teaching my son how to be a little more helpful and he is all for it :). He seems ready to me, but was curious as to what other momas do.

EDIT--Just so everyone knows. I would be there helping him/supervising. I would definitely go back and rewash them if need be. -_-

Replies

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 3, 2013 at 7:56 AM

yes...have him start by helping you rinse the dishes

• pristine729
    My almost five year old has no chores. But we are gonna start with picking up the bedroom and making the bed
  • Candi_gal
    Nope not too early. My son helps me rinse and put away. I wash only because I want to make sure they are clean first!
  • ButterMeUp
    January 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    Yes why not let him fold clothes and sort? My DD does that.
  • AleaKat
    by AleaKat
    January 3, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    I think he should rinse first but yes I think 5 is a good age.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 3, 2013 at 7:58 AM

Not unless you have unbreakable dishes.

• Candi_gal
    January 3, 2013 at 7:58 AM
    My son is 5 1/2 and he's had "chores" for a while now.
    He has to clean his room every day, he changes the trash bags in each bathroom, brings his dirty laundry downstairs, sets the table for dinner, and helps me vacuum! I don't think it's to young to start teaching responsibility and helping around the house.

Quoting Candi_gal:

Nope not too early. My son helps me rinse and put away. I wash only because I want to make sure they are clean first!
  • Angelicembrace
    January 3, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    Thanks ladies! Yep, he does fold his laundry and puts it away, he is growing so fast lol
  • alexsmomaubrys2
    January 3, 2013 at 8:00 AM

No. My kids have been loading and unloading the dishwasher since they were 5, they've been unloading since they were 4.

• Angelicembrace
    January 3, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    My son does the same except vacuum..hes terrified of it because of the sound..he has sensitive hearing. Thanks for your input! Its a tough call sometimes just because i dont want to start him on some things too early but like you said i think hes old enough to do a little more..and he enjoys it for now lol.

Quoting Candi_gal:

My son is 5 1/2 and he's had "chores" for a while now.

He has to clean his room every day, he changes the trash bags in each bathroom, brings his dirty laundry downstairs, sets the table for dinner, and helps me vacuum! I don't think it's to young to start teaching responsibility and helping around the house.

Quoting Candi_gal:

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts