Mom Confessions

Cymbeline
I cooked dinner on the porch tonight
December 31, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I was roughing it Girl Scout style tonight, as I finished cooking lobsters, clams, mussels, shrimp, scallops, and a pasta side on my back porch.

You might wonder why I would do such a thing, as cooking outdoors, in December, is rather an odd thing to do. You might also wonder why we had so many dead sea critters for dinner, but I'll address the latter query later.

My wonderful stove, who has been incredibly reliable, decided that it wanted no part of making NYE dinner. It threw a tantrum, and blew the fuse halfway through my cooking adventure.

Upon braving the basement monsters, and attempting to flip the switch, and reset the fuse, I found that my efforts were in vain; it remained tripped, and would not allow me to fix it. I tried everything, including unplugging the stove for a bit. I have decided that I didn't want to add a house fire to my list of NYE problems (the first of which, involved locking my keys in the house earlier, and climbing through a window like a ninja), so I gave up.

DF and I brought out the trusty Coleman stoves, and set them up on the back porch. I managed to cook everything, and we had a great dinner.

Now, on to the pile of seafood for dinner... It is a Pennsylvania Dutch tradition to eat seafood NYE, and pork and sauerkraut New Years Day. I don't question it because it is a delicious tradition.

This story was brought to you by the letter O, as in OMG lobster is delicious nom nom nom.

Replies

• SalemWitchChild
    December 31, 2012 at 10:26 PM

lol. Well it sounds like you had a good time despite your troubles.

• Hyman
    by Hyman
    December 31, 2012 at 10:27 PM
    This was a nice novel to read. Lol. I feel like its written like "'twas the night before New Year's Day and all through the house" :D
  • jbirdsladie27
    December 31, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Sorry about the temperamental stove.. your NYE tradition is YUMMY

• Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    December 31, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I wanna be Pennsylvania Dutch :/

• macysmom
    December 31, 2012 at 10:29 PM
    Sounds good! I'm coming over next year!
  • Cymbeline
    December 31, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I wanna be Pennsylvania Dutch :/

Growing up, it was great. I was surrounded by delicious food, and a bunch of older family members talking to each other in a language that I like to call, "Bastardized German", which is Pennsylvania Dutch (Deutsch).

I have lots of shrimp left if you want some. I'll send it via carrier pigeon.

• night.magic
    December 31, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Wish I was there. I'd love to enjoy some of those seafood treasures and cooked outdoors is even better. :)

Wishing you and yours a Blessed New year.

• Cymbeline
    January 1, 2013 at 11:48 AM
    Yay for bacon and eggs on the porch as well.

I hope the vegetarian neighbors don't mind the smell of delicious, simmering, pig.
  • Sparkyfire
    January 1, 2013 at 12:32 PM
    Yum!! The tradition here seems to be cabbage on nyd... I grew up with black eyed peas as the nyd food.. So.

It's cool how each area has their own New Years food traditions.
  • Anonymous
    by Anonymous
    January 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM

So just to recap. Your stove broke, you walked down stairs, grabbed a camping stove and then made food?

MMmmmm.... 

Mom Confessions