Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
tax refunds
by Anonymous
December 31, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Are tax refunds from prior year taxable income the following year? We got $21k back last year and I want to make sure we won't be paying tax on it this year.

Replies

• Anonymous 2
    by Anonymous 2
    December 31, 2012 at 8:54 AM

no

• kjbennett26
    December 31, 2012 at 8:54 AM

bump no idea

• Anonymous 3
    by Anonymous 3
    December 31, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    Holy shit you got a lot back. I'm not sure about your question but our returns were never used as a taxable income.
  • Anonymous 4
    by Anonymous 4
    December 31, 2012 at 8:55 AM
    How the hell did you get 21k back? Holy hell.

No it is not taxable income.
  • AdoptingMommy
    December 31, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    you pay them on state not federal. Did you have a tax credit? I recieved about that much last yr but 13,170 was an adoption tax credit
  • Anonymous 1
    by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster
    December 31, 2012 at 8:58 AM
    Adoption tax credit

Quoting Anonymous:

How the hell did you get 21k back? Holy hell.

No it is not taxable income.
  • Anonymous 1
    December 31, 2012 at 8:59 AM
    $13, 360 was adoption tax credit. Rest was regular refund.

Quoting AdoptingMommy:

you pay them on state not federal. Did you have a tax credit? I recieved about that much last yr but 13,170 was an adoption tax credit
  • AdoptingMommy
    December 31, 2012 at 9:03 AM
    ok, So did they pay you intrest on it (ours took a while bc they audited it) They will put in the intrest which i think for us was only 120.00 or so, but nothing bad. The only thing else that will go into it is the state. You will be good!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AdoptingMommy:

• Anonymous 1
    December 31, 2012 at 9:07 AM
    No. They sent us a letter it was under review and they had 45 days before interest would be added. They deposited on the 45th day.

Quoting AdoptingMommy:

ok, So did they pay you intrest on it (ours took a while bc they audited it) They will put in the intrest which i think for us was only 120.00 or so, but nothing bad. The only thing else that will go into it is the state. You will be good!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AdoptingMommy:

• Anonymous 5
    by Anonymous 5
    December 31, 2012 at 9:10 AM

If you itemize your deductions your state refund is taxable.  If you take standard it is not.  Your federal refund is not taxable.

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts