Mom Confessions

Featured Posts
Anonymous
These foodstamps just aren't cutting it!
by Anonymous
December 30, 2012 at 3:25 PM

We are a family of six and are receiving $672 a month in foodstamps. While that may seem like a lot to some of you, food is more expensive now and I can't get the foodstamps to last the whole month. I need some tips please!

Replies

• LyTe684
    by LyTe684
    December 30, 2012 at 3:46 PM
    This is what I thought....

Quoting Anonymous:

FS are supposed to be a supplement, not your entire monthly food allowance!

• Master_Debater
    Pay cash with the rest, oh duh you don't want to hear that one!
  • LACHESIS

This is what we do. Family of 4. Lunches get taken to work.  
    Don't buy all your food at once... you will eat it sooner than expected. Pre-fry burger, put it in the fridge and pull it out when needed. Same with veggies. Pre-cut and store in the fridge when needed.  

Get one of those George Forman grills or one like it. We've had some of the best meals... buying bulk meat and grilling it up or making sammies with it.  Have Sammie/Soup night once a week. Or Make your own Pizza once a week. 

Where does the problem lie do you think?

We are not using FS but still seem to eat pretty well.  

Quoting ccjennings:

I get ads from all the stores and compair food prices and normally save over 40 dollars by going to all the stores for the better deals. And meal plans even if you dont stick to it very much you should still have plenty of meals oh and by in bulk and cut yourself and store it the way you would use it

• Melbornj

That is crazy.  We are also a family of 6 and spend way less than that on groceries and eat very healthy.  You really have to meal plan and shop sales.

• ilovemykids323

plan out your menu before you go stick to it and buy things only on sale and use coupons. I spend $400 (my own money) on a family of five for a month and we manage. yes food is expensive but when I make a menu i do really good. if i dont i spend the same amount and it seems like we have nothing.

• Bigdog3
    by Bigdog3

Meat is huge expenxe, and anything pre-made. We tend to use meat as an ingredient, not really the main course. It would help if you posted some typical menus.

A lot people rely on cereal for breakfast, which is easy, but those big cans of oatmeal are so cheap. I add brown sugar, syrup and milk to it instead of buying the pre-flavored packets. I feel full longer with oatmeal when I have that for breakfast anyway. We do get cereal from time to time, but I find that I eat a lot of that, where the oatmeal lasts so much longer.

• tisaynababae
    December 30, 2012 at 3:47 PM
    Ok I think your grocery stores down there do double and triple manufsctor coupons.The key is to use the ads to help plan your meals and stock up on that product.Right now, it is New years celebration time so this week stiores have the appetizers and seafood on sale.It is right st the end of baking season so check the end of aisles for baking products that are on clearance.Who cares if the box has snowflakes , I stock up now,Staples that are filling and cheap are rice and beans.We buy our 40lb bags from the local Asian store as it is the cheapest around.Meat is used sparingly as in a stir fry and we try to eat meatless 2-3 times a week.Chill is a easy one to make meatless or soup. I google recipes that include the ingredients I want to use.This time of year frozen veggies ar cheaper than fresh up here so I cook a lot with those.I make everything myself and only use convience food if I can get it with a extremely low price using sa
    E/coupons.It is easier for me yo plan meals a couple days at a time because I have to go to multiple stores to save money. Luckily, I live minutes from all of them so it is easy go do nut you could plan a week at a time using e Sunday ads and it would help with you budget.
  • Anonymous 11
    by Anonymous 11
    December 30, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    I'm sorry ur so ignorant n blind to the struggles of families these days

Quoting Anonymous:

Im sorry your free money I'm paying for isn't covering all those kids.

• HouseOfLove
    December 30, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I'm the ignorant one? Did you SEE what you just wrote?! WTF?!

You are both receiving money that you did not earn. It is called SNAP, which stands for SUPPLEMENTAL nutrition assistance program. Which means it supplies SOME of the money needed for food, which means that you are responsible for providing for your family as well. OP is receiving almost $700 a month. How the fuck are you unable to provide for your family with almost $700 a month??! OP is ovbiously irresponsible.

Quoting Anonymous:

U people r really fuckin ignorant have u ever heard of hard times sum ppl go through things n need a little help who the hell do u think u r judging her I myself am receiving fs due to a rough patch in my life God forbid u hit a rough patch n need sum extra help lets c how much u run ya mouth then......smh

Quoting HouseOfLove:

You suck. The program is called SNAP, which means SUPPLEMENTAL nutrition plan. It is not designed to pay for all of your food. You are lucky you even get a dime. It is not the govt's responsibility to pay for your family. How you are unable to buy a months worth of groceries with almost $700 of "free" money is beyond me.

Cut coupons, buy generic, don't have anymore children.

• lifeisajoy
    December 30, 2012 at 3:49 PM

We don't receive food stamps but we are a family of 4 (including 2 adults and 2 teens) and spend on food about 300 a month.  

Coupon --tell you the truth I don't meal plan but I buy like staples and it works for me-meal planning just won't work for me-never had and I still only spend about 300 a month

What you need to do is initially write a list of basics you use-that is what I do

so for ex. my basics are chicken broth, pasta noodles-a variety of type, meat, veggies-frozen and canned, yogurt, fresh fruit, canned fruit, cottage cheese, milk, bread, cheese, sandwhich meat, juices, garlic, can soups, sauce, rice, potatoes -that is a quick basic list and I can make a variety of items out of that basic list-

Once you start doing it then you will get use to it

Mom Confessions

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN